Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 07:11 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

I don't buy bacon often, but I needed bacon so headed to Costco to get their marvelous maple bacon that comes from a company in Canada.

Oops. There wasn't any. There was a Kirkland brand and a Fletchers brand that was coated thickly in coarse cracked black pepper. Neither one was from Canada; both are from Washington. I don't like all that much black pepper so I bought the Kirkland brand and, unfortunately, it is very ordinary. I don't need to throw it out, but it doesn't even qualify as "good". What a disappointment.

Does anybody know what brand the maple bacon from Canada is? Is the Fletchers bacon from Washington State any good? Did I get there with bad timing and they just happened to be temporarily out of the maple bacon? Or do they not sell it any more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't buy bacon often, but I needed bacon so headed to Costco to get their marvelous maple bacon that comes from a company in Canada.

Oops. There wasn't any. There was a Kirkland brand and a Fletchers brand that was coated thickly in coarse cracked black pepper. Neither one was from Canada; both are from Washington. I don't like all that much black pepper so I bought the Kirkland brand and, unfortunately, it is very ordinary. I don't need to throw it out, but it doesn't even qualify as "good". What a disappointment.

Does anybody know what brand the maple bacon from Canada is? Is the Fletchers bacon from Washington State any good? Did I get there with bad timing and they just happened to be temporarily out of the maple bacon? Or do they not sell it any more?
I believe it is Maple Leaf.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
With Costco on the products sometimes they just switch vendors or stop selling a certain brand. Happens all the time here in California. In our area we have Kirkland and SunnyValley from Manteca California are the Maple bacon brands we carry locally currently.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
With Costco on the products sometimes they just switch vendors or stop selling a certain brand. Happens all the time here in California. In our area we have Kirkland and SunnyValley from Manteca California are the Maple bacon brands we carry locally currently.
Sam's does the same. As much as I am happy with Sam's I do with we had Cosco, but I don't see this happening in my life time....

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Maple bacon - mmmm. Chocolate covered bacon - mmmm, mmm, mmm.

I forgot candied bacon.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:17 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Chocolate covered bacon is delicious!

I also love maple bacon and the bacon covered in black pepper. I just love bacon.

For some odd reason though, I am picky about putting it in foods. I think I almost prefer to eat it alone.

I have been meaning to get a costco account (I have a business one but I need a personal one) and I will be on the lookout for this bacon you speak of

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM

352 posts, read 796,547 times
The maple bacon at Costco (from Canada) was the BEST bacon we had ever eaten, we kept it in our freezer at all times. We were so upset when Costco stopped stocking it! I put many notes in the suggestion boxes (at 2 separate Costco warehouses)..to no avail. I still love Costco but, try not to get too attached to their offerings!

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,261 times
I recently bought some Canadian made Fletcher's special select alder smoked old style lower sodium bacon from costco as it was one of the super deals that day. I had sampled it before I bought it and it was quite tasty. When I fried some up the following morning it was far too salty to eat. Rather than throw the whole package out or make a special trip to costco to return it, I soaked the next batch in a bowl of filtered water with three or more changes of water. It was ok to eat after that with the salt and flavoring almost completely removed. This bacon was so over salted I'm guessing there must have been a mistake in the labeling process.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Problem with maple bacon is it has a tendency to burn quickly when cooking, i usually just buy regular bacon and splurge on a can of real maple syrup then drizzle the syrup over the bacon when cooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink