Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,599,478 times

Advertisements

Ok Im not leaving off fresh hand pick but reason I left it out is base on convience of cooking.

I hate preparing vegetables to be ready to cook so I want to know is there a different in freshness with can vs frozen vegetables?

What brand is your favorite?
lately I been buying birds eye due to the plastic bags I just boil in water and not worry about over cooking and I love those that mix cheese etc in the
mix.

I am really thinking about avoiding can products even soups after all the latest food recalls with can goods has anyone else made such a decision?

I think China might actually save America if they keep screwing up our pet and food supply or either kill us this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 PM

77 posts, read 273,301 times
I prefer frozen definitely...don't trust canned and fresh doesn't stay fresh very long at our house...if you don't use it, it can go bad pretty fast

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,028,066 times
I only buy fresh if I'm going to use it in a day or 2. Then I buy frozen, but I still buy canned because I'm lazy. I'm at the point I take my chances - every other day it seems something is being recalled, so what are you going to eat?

Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,593,895 times
You need to try Birds Eye Steamed Vegetables. The Corn on the Cob is great. Cook in the MW exactly as directed. Very good fresh like flavor. I do prefer frozen over canned for most vegetables. As far as fresh goes, I do like cauliflower and broccoli fresh for salads. Again, try the steamed vegetables.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 PM

253 posts, read 1,741,896 times
Boiling vegetables in a plastic bag? I'm pretty sure that's toxic. I steam all my veggies on the stovetop - fast & easy and you retain the vitamins that boiling in water takes away.

Canned vegetables should be illegal. Pale, rancid, and flaccid.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,385,791 times
If I ever want to reminisce about growing up with just my dad working I just buy some tuna and mix in enough mayo to make five sandwiches or canned peas, ummm try and roll the peas on your tounge but you can't because their mush....brings back memories!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,079,289 times
I understand that frozen vegetables are higher in vitamins than fresh vegetables - the frozen ones are frozen the day they are picked...the fresh are really not that fresh and lose vitamins for every day they are on a truck, being processed or sitting in the production section of the market. I prefer the taste of fresh however.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,380,170 times
Canned vegetables are spectacularly disgusting. I'm almost surprised anyone eats them any more.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,699,358 times
Default yucky canned...

Frozen is a better option in our house over canned.
We do the birds eye steam stuff, and it's very good. But what we really enjoy also is the fresh veggies in the micro steam bags in the fresh veggie section of grocery stores.
We have carrots, string beans galore, squash, broccoli, cauli, and much more are being added all the time. I also like the small new potatoes you just steam in the bag also in the fresh veggie section,

Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,522,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnubler View Post
Boiling vegetables in a plastic bag? I'm pretty sure that's toxic. I steam all my veggies on the stovetop - fast & easy and you retain the vitamins that boiling in water takes away.

Canned vegetables should be illegal. Pale, rancid, and flaccid.
Fresh or frozen for me.

I read again the other day that the chemicals in plastic are toxic. Use paper towels to cover food in the microwave.

I love to roast vegetables--a little olive oil and a few cloves of garlic with carrots, potatoes, squash, celery and others. Very tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink