Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,715,152 times

Advertisements

I suppose all the frozen vegetables such as green peas, broccoli, spinach... are pre-cooked. If so, then wouldn't they have lost most nutrition values? Also, prior to cooking, do you wash them? I wonder what the water melted from the ice is from - is it tap water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM

866 posts, read 1,138,038 times
Frozen veggies are not totally pre-cooked.

They are blanched to stop them from losing any more of their nutritional value, then quick frozen and packaged for sale.

Pretty much the same thing one might do when prepping home-grown
vegetables for the freezer.

In all likelihood it IS an approved water source that is used at the
food manufactureing facility in order for it to pass USDA specifications
and health dept. regulations.

I do not wash the veggies prior to cooking...never have...have never had a problem with them.
Fresh produce is a different story however...that always gets rinsed off before I use it...

Last edited by leftmyheartintennessee; 12-01-2011 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: additional thought added

Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,742 times
Talking YUM for Picsweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Frozen veggies are not totally pre-cooked.

They are blanched to stop them from losing any more of their nutritional value, then quick frozen and packaged for sale.

Pretty much the same thing one might do when prepping home-grown
vegetables for the freezer.

In all likelihood it IS an approved water source that is used at the
food manufactureing facility in order for it to pass USDA specifications
and health dept. regulations.

I do not wash the veggies prior to cooking...never have...have never had a problem with them.
Fresh produce is a different story however...that always gets rinsed off before I use it...

I totally agree.
I don't know if they sell Picsweet veggies in all the grocery stores...but this brand of veggies are REALLY, REALLY good. If you have them try them, I bet you'll change your grocery brand after you try them.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
I like the Picsweet brand too, but my favorite are Steamfresh. They are the closest to homegrown that I have ever tasted. When they go on sale I fill my freezer.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
PicSweet for me too!

BTW, flash-frozen vegetables supposedly retain more nutrients than fresh from grocery stores (but not home-grown or locally grown). But more than those that come from a different country and take days to travel to your area/table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I totally agree.
I don't know if they sell Picsweet veggies in all the grocery stores...but this brand of veggies are REALLY, REALLY good. If you have them try them, I bet you'll change your grocery brand after you try them.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM

7,644 posts, read 8,715,152 times
Thanks for mentioning this Picsweet - I'll try to look for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I like the Picsweet brand too, but my favorite are Steamfresh.
I saw Steamfresh in the store, and thought those must have been steamed. Are they?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:16 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks for mentioning this Picsweet - I'll try to look for them.

I saw Steamfresh in the store, and thought those must have been steamed. Are they?
No.....they are frozen and they steam cook in your microwave in the bag. Wonderful flavor and color! They taste closer to fresh veggies than any I have ever tried.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I suppose all the frozen vegetables such as green peas, broccoli, spinach... are pre-cooked. If so, then wouldn't they have lost most nutrition values? Also, prior to cooking, do you wash them? I wonder what the water melted from the ice is from - is it tap water?
they are flash fozen, so are barely cooked, no you don't wash them and some claim they are better for you than totally fresh because much of the frest produce we get is not all that fresh. I still depend on my fresh veggies year around. There are a few frozen ones that I keep on hand, but rarely use.

Nita

Old 12-03-2011, 09:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I eat my frozen peas nearly raw. I melt a little butter in a hot saucepan, and pour the frozen peas right in, no water. Keep stirring them on high heat until there aren't any cold ones left, less than a minute. Just like fresh, but hot and buttered.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I eat my frozen peas nearly raw. I melt a little butter in a hot saucepan, and pour the frozen peas right in, no water. Keep stirring them on high heat until there aren't any cold ones left, less than a minute. Just like fresh, but hot and buttered.
They are also good in green salad, peas are one of the 2 or 3 frozen veggies we always have on hand.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink