Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times

Advertisements

Bag of pinto beans is cheap. Once you have picked through them, soaked them overnight and rinsed them; you then put them in a pot, cover with water add seasonings and cook on low for about 3 hours. Add water as needed. If you have any bouillon cubes or an onion add some of those as well. You can eat on that for 3 meals or so and it is a good source of protein. Also, water is great to drink.

Have you thought about checking out a local food pantry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,040,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You're going to feed five cats off of 12 oz of tuna for four days?
No..i have plenty of dry cat food but i like to give them tuna now & then. They love it. I would never starve my mostly senior felines. This time of the month is really bad to try to get food at the local pantry. There are 2 in town. I can make it till weds. I need to lose weight anyways. I have actually lost 30 lbs since last summer. Its nice to fit into my old blue jeans again but i still have a lil ways to go. I best stay away from sweets even though i have a sweet tooth. All suggestions sound good. Thanks...

Last edited by steel7; 07-30-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-30-2011, 10:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7;20243774[B
]Its just for 4 days & i only have 3 eggs left. [/b]One day ill have pb&j + tater tots & the next day ill have corn, etc. Ill skip the candy bar but you cant get much for less then 2 bucks. I might buy a 12 oz can of tuna (1.59) but thats for my 5 cats. Im not a fan of brown rice & beans. I recently gave away a load of food that was a few yrs or so past the best by date (stupid me) like brown rice & cup of noodles.
you can get a dozen eggs for about $1.35

Old 07-30-2011, 11:11 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,653,835 times
Just for the record, if you had to eat nothing but PB&J every day for two weeks, you would be MORE than fine. In the UK version of Big Brother, they had people doing that for longer periods of times.

I know what it's like when money gets tight. I have a cat and I'll starve before I let him go hungry. When you have that little to spend on food, seriously, nutrition is not your upper-most concern because you can't get full nutrition on $5 for four days. Just find the cheapest places to shop, like Aldi or a Dollar Store and get the most for your money.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Just for the record, if you had to eat nothing but PB&J every day for two weeks, you would be MORE than fine. In the UK version of Big Brother, they had people doing that for longer periods of times.

I know what it's like when money gets tight. I have a cat and I'll starve before I let him go hungry. When you have that little to spend on food, seriously, nutrition is not your upper-most concern because you can't get full nutrition on $5 for four days. Just find the cheapest places to shop, like Aldi or a Dollar Store and get the most for your money.
where is anyone getting the idea he is talking 2 weeks, I think it is 4 or 5 days.

Baretta brings up a good point: get a bag of pinto or some other dry beans. It goes a long way and there are lots of little things you can do to make it tasty plus dry beans are filled with protein and fiber.

Nita

Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where is anyone getting the idea he is talking 2 weeks, I think it is 4 or 5 days.

Baretta brings up a good point: get a bag of pinto or some other dry beans. It goes a long way and there are lots of little things you can do to make it tasty plus dry beans are filled with protein and fiber.

Nita
Where are you getting the idea that I think he's talking about two weeks? In the beginning I said that even "IF you had to eat" PB&J for two weeks, you would be more than fine.

Further on, I showed my understanding of the four days when I said,
Quote:
...nutrition is not your upper-most concern because you can't get full nutrition on $5 for four days.
Just remember that misreading a post is very easy to do. You just misread mine.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,500,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
The PB contains 2G more protein then the eggs...per Tablespoon vs one egg..
the PB he is thinking of using is FULL of sugar...eggs are not.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,824,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Its just for 4 days & i only have 3 eggs left. One day ill have pb&j + tater tots & the next day ill have corn, etc. Ill skip the candy bar but you cant get much for less then 2 bucks. I might buy a 12 oz can of tuna (1.59) but thats for my 5 cats. Im not a fan of brown rice & beans. I recently gave away a load of food that was a few yrs or so past the best by date (stupid me) like brown rice & cup of noodles.
I hope you have more than one can of tuna to feed your 5 cats for 4 days.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Where are you getting the idea that I think he's talking about two weeks? In the beginning I said that even "IF you had to eat" PB&J for two weeks, you would be more than fine.

Further on, I showed my understanding of the four days when I said,

Just remember that misreading a post is very easy to do. You just misread mine.
sometimes we all word things so it isn't really clear what we mean. I know I do.

Nita

Old 07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sometimes we all word things so it isn't really clear what we mean. I know I do.

Nita
That was my only point. :::hug:::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink