Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Several weeks ago I very uncharacteristically decided to try something a little adventurous food-wise. My local health-food store was offering a Tofu and Kimchi sandwich, and, throwing caution to the wind, I decided to give it a go.

Having grown up in a military environment shortly after the Korean war (and during the Vietnam war era) I had always heard about the mysterious Kimchi, but never dared try it. I decided this might be the moment in time.

Everyone has always said that the Kimchi was hot. But the stuff on the tofu sandwich was not hot. Not even spicy. It tasted like wet, limp cabbage with a hint (mind you just a hint) of seasoning. Nothing particularly spectacular.

Needless to say, that, coupled with the tofu made me wish I had chosen something else. It was, in a word, BLAND.

Now I am wondering if maybe these folks did not have a clue about Kimchi. Those of you who have eaten it, please tell me that all the stories about this incredibly spicy food were TRUE and that the Kimchi and Tofu disaster was some kind of freakish aberration.

While we're at it, can you make the stuff at home? Anybody have a "tried and true" recipe?

thanks

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
There are lots of different 'Kimchi'

Life in Korea: Kimchi- Korea's Food

My husband used to go to Seoul a lot and loved the garlicky spicy kimchi.

The Kimchi you tried was probably 'Americanised' or 'Westernised' for the market in the same way that Indian and Thai food is. When we go to an Indian or Thai restaurant we first check if the chef is from the country and if so we ask him to cook to the level of spiciness he would eat and we are usually somewhere close to how we like it.... Try this with your next Kimchi tasting.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:14 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,675,874 times
my hubby is japanese and eats/ makes it all the time (ewwwwwwwww LOL)

if you buy it, buy it from a korean or oriental store. anything in an american store will be americanized.

i dont know how he makes it, but its essentially fermented (nice word for spoiled) cabbage and seasonings. I dont like fresh cabbage, much less rotten cabbage LOL

Old 02-11-2011, 06:45 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
I love me some Kimchi. MMmmmm

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Several weeks ago I very uncharacteristically decided to try something a little adventurous food-wise. My local health-food store was offering a Tofu and Kimchi sandwich, and, throwing caution to the wind, I decided to give it a go.

Having grown up in a military environment shortly after the Korean war (and during the Vietnam war era) I had always heard about the mysterious Kimchi, but never dared try it. I decided this might be the moment in time.

Everyone has always said that the Kimchi was hot. But the stuff on the tofu sandwich was not hot. Not even spicy. It tasted like wet, limp cabbage with a hint (mind you just a hint) of seasoning. Nothing particularly spectacular.

Needless to say, that, coupled with the tofu made me wish I had chosen something else. It was, in a word, BLAND.

Now I am wondering if maybe these folks did not have a clue about Kimchi. Those of you who have eaten it, please tell me that all the stories about this incredibly spicy food were TRUE and that the Kimchi and Tofu disaster was some kind of freakish aberration.

While we're at it, can you make the stuff at home? Anybody have a "tried and true" recipe?

thanks

20yrsinBranson
I eat Kimchi pretty well every day, (happens when your wife is Korean) seems you have being sold the most common version of kimchi, which is the stuff made from frementing pickled cabbage.

To be frank a tofu and kimchi sandwich sounds disgusting!

Both the tofu and the bread would have a tempering effect on the Kimchi, making it appear less spicy than it really is.

You may also have being sold some cheap factory made kimchi, which has not being pickled long enough. Leaving the cabbage tasting like cabbage and all the spices left behind in the liquid the cabbage frements in.

I find the stuff we get hear in oz to be a a bit hit and miss, we only buy it from korean supermarkets however sometime the cabbage is spicy hot, and other times not. Usually if its not spicy enough my wife will leave it sitting in the fridge for a few weeks and by some new stuff.

You should try some kimchi che geh, without tofu. They use the liquid in the che geh so no matter how old the kimchi you still get the full taste. l cant eat enough of the stuff.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-11-2011 at 07:52 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I like kimchi, it should definitely be spicy. I wouldn't eat a tofu sandwich though, ick. I don't buy it a lot, the best I've had around here was at an Asian Fusion restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
i dont know how he makes it, but its essentially fermented (nice word for spoiled) cabbage and seasonings. I dont like fresh cabbage, much less rotten cabbage LOL

Sue, I love me some "rotten" grapes! Delicious! lol.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
20years, living in Branson as you do, be sure to try the Korean restaurant in St. Robert, Missouri, when you're passing by Fort Leonard Wood. I think it's called Johns or Joes, in the strip mall. Very authentic Korean food, run by the Korean wives and mothers in law of GIs, there's also a nice Korean grocery store in the same strip, with (possibly smuggled) foods that still have the Korean price tag on them.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Tofu and Kimchi Sandwich?

Do yourself a favor and head to an Asian food store, Korean preferably, in a big city.

Kimchi, tofu and bread, ugh very antithetical.

You can also buy good stuff on the web.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Tofu and Kimchi Sandwich?

Do yourself a favor and head to an Asian food store, Korean preferably, in a big city.

Kimchi, tofu and bread, ugh very antithetical.

You can also buy good stuff on the web.
I don't know where an Asian food store is in Springfield (I shall have to investigate). Otherwise, yeah, it looks like it's going to be the internet for me.

Thanks for the info.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Like a previous poster said, kimchi isn't always spicy. However, the best ones are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink