Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM

136 posts, read 515,654 times

Advertisements

Hi. I plan to have a large luau party this summer and was wondering what kind of appetizers and easy meal items I could make. I also would like some drink ideas, some that could be made and put into pitchers so they are ready to go. Any tips or luau traditions as well would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 01:23 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
I suggest smoke'n a pig for main meal and pile on the pineapple. Grill pineapple and brined shrimp for hor dourvers, w/sides of slaw and beans.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Coconut shrimp with dip, slaw, sliced pineapple,coconut cake, pinia coladas or rum punch . A million recipes for these on line. Food network,group recipes.com or cooks.com all have menus and recipes.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:35 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,027 times
Here's an incredibly easy and YUMMY fruit dip:

One can of sweetened condensed milk
two to three tablespoons of orange juice concentrate

Mix together and serve with any fruit!

Old 05-18-2008, 01:45 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
No food ideas here BUT if you have a Dollar Tree store near you they have lots and lots of really cute Luau decorations, tableware, and party supplies for just $1! Check it out!

Old 05-18-2008, 03:39 PM

431 posts, read 1,641,278 times
two words MAI TAI. guess you can see where my mind is at right now.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 PM

849 posts, read 1,952,172 times
Get some potstickers. Some frozen ones aren't too bad. Cocktail meatballs (Grape Jelly and Chili sauce kind, or sweet and sour). Small BBQ ribs. Grilled chicken or beef skewers. Stir fried noodles(Lo mein). Some of the salad that has nappa cabbage and crunchy ramen noodles...you know what I'm talking about. Pineapple upside down cake. Coconut cake. Of course if you want more traditional, you'd want to have some Lomi lomi salmons and Ahi Poke, but you'd have to be careful with raw fish.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:25 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Gotta have a pig roast!

Decorating tips, recipes, and game suggestions to create an authentic Hawaiian luau ANYWHERE!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Pig roast. Definitely. And poi! (actually I don't really like it, sort of like eating glue)

Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times
Reading the title made me instantly think watermelon. Slice the watermelon into a fruit basket with a handle. Use a melonballer to scoop out the insides, and then fill with pineapple, blueberries, watermelon, and any other fruit chunks you can think of.

Let's talk pork. A luau screams pig roast, but you need to look at the nitty gritty of actually cooking a whole hog. Once you think it through, you will find that it's just not worth it.
I have 2 cookers mounted on trailers with 6' rotisserie rods that are capable of cooking entire pigs. I have cooked hogs, and have been to many pig roasts. None of them were good. I mean really good, that was the most delicious pork I ever ate good. They were all the same. Just plain BLAND. You can stuff them with chickens, sausage, fruit, spices, or whatever. You have to start cooking it the night before. It doesn't taste like what we are used to. The hams aren't cured, the bacon doesn't taste like bacon. It's just a big mass of flavorless meat. Most of it will be wasted too. Most people won't eat the head, feet, or lower legs. They will pick around the ribs and leave you with a big greasy mess. Tons of barbecue sauce will help for pulled pork sandwiches, but I really think you are better off cooking a few hams, and a couple of pork loins. Maybe even a butt roast for pulled pork. It doesn't take near as much effort, and you won't have the waste.

When I put on a shindig, my standard meat menu on both cookers is two turkeys, three 10# beef roasts, two cured hams, and a couple of pork loins. Everybody gets to eat the meat they like, and there isn't any waste.

One more idea. Have you seen the frozen drink machines at the Quikki Mart?
There are most likely party supply stores nearby that will rent you one for about $30 a day. You can make any kind of slushy drink that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink