Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 06:29 PM

50,407 posts, read 64,141,570 times

Advertisements

I've posted this before, but the main secret is frozen fruit instead of ice.
1 frozen banana, cut in 5 pieces
1 c. frozen strawberries
1 c. orange juice
1 cup plain fat free yogurt
6 Equal packets, or sugar.
Blenderize it. Makes 2 big thick smoothies, about 230 calories each. I have an ancient old blender and it works fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:04 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,207,823 times
Didee, my personal favorite blender is the VitaMix...you'll never need to buy another blender. It makes smoothies very smooth, even with ice cubes. One book that I really like is the Green For Life book by Victoria Boutenko. The member who mentioned using frozen fruit instead of ice gave a good suggestion...1-2 ice cubes at the very end of blending may be added to get it to the consistency that you like. With the VitaMix it doesn't matter as much with ice, because it blends everything very smoothly.

One of my favorite smoothies is to use 2-3 frozen bananas (chopped into small slices) with either cow's milk or almond milk...maybe add a little greek yogurt...add some sugar - or horrors! artificial sweetener - and possibly a few ice cubes at the end. To freeze bananas, wait until they are ripe and not green. When cut, place in gallon size zip lock bags....place about 1-2 bananas in the bag because it prevents them from freezing too hard. Once the bag is sealed, I used my hand to separate the bananas so that they are well spread out in the bag. For best results freeze for 24 hours and use to make a banana smoothie. This banana smoothie is so good you almost think you're eating a regular milk shake. A handful of frozen berries can be added for flavor and color. During peach season, make a banana peach (freeze the peaches, too) super smoothie Enjoy!

Emily

Last edited by 'M'; 07-30-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM

44,382 posts, read 20,102,658 times
I just use fat free vanilla yogurt and whatever berries are on hand.

I use a cheap smoothie-maker I got for about $15 at KMart a few years ago.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,342,192 times
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I think I might have had too much frozen stuff and not enough liquid going on.

'M', I would love a VitaMix, but they are oh, so pricey! It looks like a phenomenal product, though.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,023 times
I have 3 - my magic bullet which gets used at LEAST once a day for something - an immersion blender and an Oster glass blender.

It kind of depends what I'm mixing and the quantity.

My FAVOURITE (smoothie kinda) is iced coffee with milk and icecream - and I use the bullet for those. If I want a fruit smoothie I just omit the coffee and make a fruit puree first then add the milk/icecream or ice/water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink