Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,431 times

Advertisements

My uncle recently immigrated to the U.S. and wants to get a job. Everything is okay regarding his paperwork, but he needs to be able to drive prior to working. His foreign driver's license has not been renewed since 2001. Do you think the DMV will consider his old license valid or do they treat these things on a case-by-case basis?

According to what I have searched, he has to enroll/pass a course to be eligible for a driver's permit. Although he is over 21, he still needs a permit & thus requires a licensed driver to be with him for one year. He has no problem going through these motions legally except for the fact that he doesn't want to "inconvenience" anyone in our family to be with him when he drives.

My question is for anyone out there who has been or knows anyone who's been in this situation. Is there some way he can "avoid" or at least shorten the amount of time he needs to have a driver's permit, like taking some driver's ed class or something? The only thing I can think of is for him to present his old driver's license, but even that's problematic since his old one is not current...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,058,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipgurl28 View Post
My uncle recently immigrated to the U.S. and wants to get a job. Everything is okay regarding his paperwork, but he needs to be able to drive prior to working. His foreign driver's license has not been renewed since 2001. Do you think the DMV will consider his old license valid or do they treat these things on a case-by-case basis?

According to what I have searched, he has to enroll/pass a course to be eligible for a driver's permit. Although he is over 21, he still needs a permit & thus requires a licensed driver to be with him for one year. He has no problem going through these motions legally except for the fact that he doesn't want to "inconvenience" anyone in our family to be with him when he drives.

My question is for anyone out there who has been or knows anyone who's been in this situation. Is there some way he can "avoid" or at least shorten the amount of time he needs to have a driver's permit, like taking some driver's ed class or something? The only thing I can think of is for him to present his old driver's license, but even that's problematic since his old one is not current...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
i

I think a quick phone call to the local DMV will answer this question legally. Personally, i think it would be a VERY good idea for your Uncle to have formal training in the States Rules of the Road as they are bound to be different from the country he resides in. It would be for his safety as well as for other Motorists.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:42 AM

9,415 posts, read 14,363,849 times
I was in a similar situation abroad years ago and my wife in a similar situation recently here in the US.

A state of the United States cannot legally "consider" or recognize as valid, or not valid, the driver's license issued by a foreign sovereign country or region thereof, and vice versa. Your uncle must take a written and driving test. However, already an experienced driver, he can do that possibly on the same day.

All he needs to do is study the driver's manual, available in Spanish for sure, possibly also Creole, if necessary. Formal training is optional.

In my wife's case, also an experienced driver, the driver's test was in a parking lot.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,587,796 times
try this website which helped me when recently renewing my License:

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,648,502 times
Quote:
Although he is over 21, he still needs a permit & thus requires a licensed driver to be with him for one year.
As I understand it, this part would not apply to him since he has been previously licensed elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,138,272 times
He can take the six hour course, take the permit exam, then take the licensing exam all within a 48 hour period. He will need to take a road test, vision test, and be accompanied by a licensed driver over 21 to take the road test. He will ahve no restrictions on the license if he passes the road test. The "rules" are different for drivers who are over 21.

His foreign license will not be recognozed for transfer, he will ahve to go through the motions of obtaining a US license. Also, I strongly suggest some driving lessons, you'd be surprised what they will fail you on when you take the road test.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 AM

211 posts, read 817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
A state of the United States cannot legally "consider" or recognize as valid, or not valid, the driver's license issued by a foreign sovereign country or region thereof, and vice versa. Your uncle must take a written and driving test. However, already an experienced driver, he can do that possibly on the same day.
WRONG! The Driver License Compact provides for reciprocity between the US and Canada. And last time I checked Canada is a "sovereign country". Anyone from Canada can drive on US soil, and vice-versa, with their state or province issued DL.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,905,966 times
Just a reminder that Florida has new and annoying rules about verifying identity when you get a license here. If you haven't already visited this site, do so before you get too far along so you have all necessary documentation in order:

Gather Go Get the FLORiDA Card: Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida