Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:50 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

I certainly do not see it around me.
There are posters in my area that post here and some are the type posters the OP mentioned but I guess I just never run into them when out and about.

Of course it is not all peaches and cream here but overall I find the people happy and content, the financial issues over the last year or so have made for many unhappy people here but they are still far outnumbered.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
VeroBeach and other FL residents,
Do you see the unhappiness in real life or are you saying it's just on the boards? I think I'm repeating other posters, but CD does seem like the perfect place to "vent" if you are unhappy with where you live. It certainly happens on the Long Island board: "Stay away!!!! Taxes!!!!" and etc. The difference is, on Long Island, I speak to a lot of people in person who truly are unhappy and wish they had the freedom to leave. Such posts certainly are discouraging for those of us looking to relocate though!

I've heard people (in real life) complain about jobs and wage situation here,and about the developers and environmental destruction because of the building craze here. Other than that, the people in real life aren't like the people on this forum at all. It's like night and day.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM

216 posts, read 913,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
VeroBeach and other FL residents,
Do you see the unhappiness in real life or are you saying it's just on the boards? I think I'm repeating other posters, but CD does seem like the perfect place to "vent" if you are unhappy with where you live. It certainly happens on the Long Island board: "Stay away!!!! Taxes!!!!" and etc. The difference is, on Long Island, I speak to a lot of people in person who truly are unhappy and wish they had the freedom to leave. Such posts certainly are discouraging for those of us looking to relocate though!
Personally, I don't see it in real life. Not that it doesn't exist, I just don't encounter it in 'real life'

My husband thinks that maybe the reason people on this board are so unhappy is because they stay inside so much, posting negatively about Florida on this message board and that all the happy people (that you rarely hear from) are out enjoying life. I'm just saying.........I'm happy and I do post here, but I don't post here too often because honestly, the days are so beautiful that I don't want to sit on the computer. We are generally in the pool or out doing something. I usually post when one of my girls is napping and I have to stay inside anyway

Life is WAY too short to sit and hate. Enjoy or at least make the best of whatever situation you are in.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
If a person thinks a site like City Data is reflective of an entire state or population...they need to get off the internet & discontinue service & put the $$ towards psychological counseling. If people decide to move or not to move based on opinions of people they've never met or even know if the people are who they say they are...again, psychological counseling might be effective...

If posters are literally believing many things that get posted...that is very scary & concerning. To have random people that you'll never meet effect your life b/c they said FL is too hot or has a lot of sex offenders or is utophia b/c it doesn't have income tax...that is a personal problem that only you can resolve.

If a person is so happy where they are, not so sure why they need to get so disgruntled over why others are not. If others are so disgruntled, not so sure why they need to question why others are content. Debating facts is one thing. Debating feelings is another. There are TOS on the site & freedom of speech as long as it is not in a manner that directly attacks a person, is allowed.

But, the OP even stated the original title was controversial, so the intent of the post was to be controversial & purposely call posters out, which in & of itself is highly questionable in nature.

Live & let live.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Nonetheless, "Southern Hospitality" is, on the whole, a lot less genuine than what many would consider the rude, NE style of living. Southern Hospitality is often equated with a superficial, "y'all have a nice day, ya hear," waitress-being-nice-not-because-she-wants-to-but-because-she-needs-to-turn-it-on-for-a-good-tip sorta thing. When it comes to ACCEPTANCE of a person, and ACTUALLY welcoming people who do not fit a set standard mold, however, the "southern hospitality" model breaks thin real fast.

Think "you can visit, but you can't stay."
I grew up in the allegedly surly upper Midwest, and Southern Hospitality drove me nuts. The people in Michigan may be very reserved, but if they said "Can I help you with that?" then it meant that they genuinely wanted to help you out. In the South, that same kind of phrase is frequently total lip service and you're rarely actually expected to take anyone up on that offer.

In terms of fitting in, most Southern bigger cities do have significant liberal/gay/pick-a-diversity-marker sectors. My impression is that they tend to be filled with escapees from the rural South who couldn't stand to live full time in what they consider to be West Butcrack anymore, but want to be close enough to family to easily go home for Thanksgiving or to spend a weekend helping their parents fix the roof or repaint the kitchen. Nashville is a heckava lot of fun because of its concentration of those kinds of people, even if you aren't particularly interested in country music.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
I've heard people (in real life) complain about jobs and wage situation here,and about the developers and environmental destruction because of the building craze here. Other than that, the people in real life aren't like the people on this forum at all. It's like night and day.
I think certain places, Orlando, Tampa, and much iof S FL, people seem to be angry at the world. (Note: all the credentials Orlando has accumulated: 2006 Angriest city in America; Tampa was number 2. The road rage... South FL has been number 1 for 3 yrs in a row, etc... I believe Tampa was also 2nd in road rage/aggressive driving as well), so I just find a lot of people are unhappy in FL. When you combine all the different nationalities, cultures, languages, with the heat and the concrete and congestion, with the rude driving and the road rage, and then add the crime, the awful number of sex offenders, etc... it can be Almost all of my good neighbors (i.e. mow their lawns, pay their taxes, etc. want to move outta Orlando - many of them wanna leave FL altogether, etc.

Like any place, some people are happy, and some are not, I just find the people in FL to be less happy than some other SE states.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Scientifical Madness; 06-07-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
If a person thinks a site like City Data is reflective of an entire state or population...they need to get off the internet & discontinue service & put the $$ towards psychological counseling. If people decide to move or not to move based on opinions of people they've never met or even know if the people are who they say they are...again, psychological counseling might be effective...

This is supposed to be an information site to help people move to this state (or the other state's forum). If someone already lives in here and makes a statement, they should make it clear that it's their opinion, not provide false information. Or if they think it's a fact, provide a URL or something to back up their opinion. Your suggestion that people new to to this site seek psychologcical counseling because a group of bitter people tried to run them off this website is not very helpful.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
This is supposed to be an information site to help people move to this state (or the other state's forum). If someone already lives in here and makes a statement, they should make it clear that it's their opinion, not provide false information. Or if they think it's a fact, provide a URL or something to back up their opinion. Your suggestion that people new to to this site seek psychologcical counseling because a group of bitter people tried to run them off this website is not very helpful.
Again, if a person is using a public internet site that composes from the OPINIONS of others that they do not know or even know if this person does indeed say who they are & relies on this information as true & positive fact...that's just unhealthy.

If you take PERSONALLY what is on THIS site...wow, that's time to shut downt the computer. If someone likes/dislikes the hot weather..how is that false information? If a city has a high info of sex offenders..how is that false info? If there is one of the top 10 beaches in the country in the state? How is that false? If the weather is hot in the summer? How is that false? OHHHHH, wait...that's RIGHT...only the POSITIVE info is right!!! Silly me!! All others should be banished & sent directly to the pits of hell!

And the retired person who never had children has the ability to tell a young family with children that everything will be rosey & great b/c they don't have to shovel snow? That is "factual" in what manner? That stuff is spewed on here everyday. If you haven't walked the walk, you have no idea what it is like.

Everyone who writes something on here takes responsibility for what they write. Some blow sunshine out their a$$ while others have not one good thing to say.

The intent of the post was to call posters out & say "Oh, the bitter people make me mad b/c I am so happy." The intent of the post is negative thus a "positive" talking about a negative...so informational!!!!

Again, live & let live. If this site deters you from MOVING one place or the other...that deserves attention that goes beyond the internet.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Again, if a person is using a public internet site that composes from the OPINIONS of others that they do not know or even know if this person does indeed say who they are & relies on this information as true & positive fact...that's just unhealthy.

So if people ask about specific things like millage rates and such, they should assume the answers on here are all lies, because it's an opinion site?

If you take PERSONALLY what is on THIS site...wow, that's time to shut downt the computer.

I do take it personally when an angry mob tries to run off new people to the site. A number of people have posted here that they were discouraged about moving here after what they read on this site. It's not that easy for people brand new to the site and the state to tell what's legitimate information and what's not, and who's just posting on here here because they have an eternal axe to grind.

And the retired person who never had children has the ability to tell a young family with children that everything will be rosey & great b/c they don't have to shovel snow? That is "factual" in what manner? That stuff is spewed on here everyday. If you haven't walked the walk, you have no idea what it is like.

I don't think anyone has ever said that. I've regularly told people to think twice before moving here with kids and no job, and too avoid parts of this state.

Everyone who writes something on here takes responsibility for what they write. Some blow sunshine out their a$$ while others have not one good thing to say.

The intent of the post was to call posters out & say "Oh, the bitter people make me mad b/c I am so happy." The intent of the post is negative thus a "positive" talking about a negative...so informational!!!!

Again, live & let live. If this site deters you from MOVING one place or the other...that deserves attention that goes beyond the internet.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:45 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
I felt the anger back in 2003 when I was sitting at my computer in Alexandria, VA, investigating the prospect of moving to Florida. This was long before the housing disaster, long before any economical cave in. I'm going out on a limb here but I think it's an education thing. Floridians handle themselves in a way that people from other parts of the country just don't. They whine, kick, scream, and blame everyone and everything for their lot in life. Florida is Florida. It's just the way it is. Get on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida