Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:05 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
I like FL, and I am probably considered one of the complainers. I'm a native, and since I have seen the drastic changes in FL over time, and a lot of the people that have moved here recently (many of which are rude and drive aggressively) is my big complaint. That's my problem - the people. I think when natives have seen the changes like I have, and seen many of their neighbors move away and being replaced, and replaced again due to the transient nature, it just gets old.

To be honest, I feel like I am in another country sometimes. I think I could live where I live today, and probably not know English, and as a FL cracker, I dont like that at all!

I can stand the heat & humidity, even though I dont like it for 6-7 months! I also dont like the widespread crime, in bad neighborhoods, in good neighborhoods. It seems like crime can occur almost anywhere now.

Sex offenders is another big problem. We have a lot of weirdo's and transients here, many of which are criminals/sex offenders and they seem to be drawn to FL for whatever reason.

So between the nasty/rude people you can encounter on a daily basis, the terrible aggressive drivers, the crime, the transients, the weirdo's... it can be tough to live here, I'll be honest.
Nothing is forever and things change. The secret is to stay ahead of the curve. You may have already enjoyed the best your area had to offer you and now time to look elsewhere. That is not necessarily a bad thing. Life changes, there was no promise that things would stay the same of as you like them. I am not that crazy about South Florida anymore and I will be happy to move on, no animosities or regrets. Not out of Florida but to a slower lifestyle like I remember. When we came to Fort Lauderdale in the early 50's it was a small town but it is not what I care for anymore. I am not mad at anyone about it, things change, thats life. You don't want to be stagnant anyway and it is fun to imagine your life can be something different. Otherwise, what is the point.

I also want to go where there is growth and a future. That is what I meant about staying ahead of the curve. Discover that next best place before everybody else does and grow with it. People think they want to move to the small town or in the middle of nowhere but that can be a mistake unless there is a future. Forget the current economy, the future will be better. Now may be your perfect time to look to make a move. Life is change and growth, something different always around the corner.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:15 AM

552 posts, read 592,634 times
If you read post #11, that's my view as a FL native, and I know a lot of other FL natives share my thoughts. Big reasons being crime, rude people, transient, traffic/congestion, road rage, sex offenders and weirdos, etc...

From a transplant's point of view, I couldnt really tell you, but I think a lot of the "this is how we did it NY"-type of attitude is pretty common in FL, and if they dont like the way things are done in FL, they tend to complain about it a lot. There are a lot of grouchy retirees from the north here, they want it THEIR way, but then they dont want to really help out others, help local communities, help the local schools, because they arent from FL and dont feel like they should have to. Not all are like this of course, but some are. I find places like Boca Raton and Palm Coast to be very good examples of rude and nasty retirees, but like I said, not all are.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM

Mango23, I know what you mean... I too am from S FL. But I live in Orlando now, and same thing.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
If you read post #11, that's my view as a FL native, and I know a lot of other FL natives share my thoughts. Big reasons being crime, rude people, transient, traffic/congestion, road rage, sex offenders and weirdos, etc...

From a transplant's point of view, I couldnt really tell you, but I think a lot of the "this is how we did it NY"-type of attitude is pretty common in FL, and if they dont like the way things are done in FL, they tend to complain about it a lot. There are a lot of grouchy retirees from the north here, they want it THEIR way, but then they dont want to really help out others, help local communities, help the local schools, because they arent from FL and dont feel like they should have to. Not all are like this of course, but some are. I find places like Boca Raton and Palm Coast to be very good examples of rude and nasty retirees, but like I said, not all are.
It's funny, I seem to meet a lot more Chicagoans and people from the midwest than New York area people here in Orlando.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:36 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,750,311 times
Quote:
Mango23, I know what you mean... I too am from S FL. But I live in Orlando now, and same thing.
I don't want to pretend to be happy or wake up everyday bubbling with false joy. But I also don't want to make myself sick worrying and complaining about things I don't have control of, it is not healthy. The only thing I really have control of is my own life. I have choices and even at my age look forward to tomorrow and what may still be to come.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Well when you have lived in states where people who drive with no car insurance have their vehicles towed, and in states where you can't accrue 5 and 6 DUIs and still have a license, people like myself will comment about FL.

It is outrageous that FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers, when I tell friends back in CA that all they get is a ticket for no insurance and they keep driving, they are shocked.

Also the number of horrific crashes here and the not wearing of seat belts.

Now if Florida natives don't like that, well tough, it is a safety issue.

FL also needs to raise the driving age(15 is too young) and start testing those over 75 every year, an eye and a road test.

We have lived all over the country and mainly in CA, and have never seen such poorly trained and inconsiderate drivers as there are here.

And it is not all the people from up north, hardly anyone is native of CA and we didn't see the "stunts" pulled on the road there like you do here on a daily basis.

IMO, Oregon has the best drivers that I have experienced. They do the speed limit, they use their signals, and very courteous in general.

And Scientific Madness I will take retirees from up north over uneducated white trash any day. When I see people like the family of that poor little Haleigh Cummings who was taken from her bed and hasn't been seen since.

Her real mother( who lost custody) is engaged to a man who is her step brother and has a third child with him.

Her father marries his 17 yr old girlfriend, and he also has a third child with another woman.

And there are thousands here just like them. And they're not from the north.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,952 times
Ok, seain dublin, I just have to make a few comments about your opinions -- can't let that pass by!

Why would Florida want to be another California? And talk about irrational laws -- get your car confiscated because you can't afford insurance after losing your job? Gimmee a break. We have enough ridiculous laws. And even with Cali's laws and taxes, they're still broke, so I can't see how they're any better than Florida.

I see more people wearing seatbelts here than in many other states --and yes, I've been to most of the US.

The 15 y/o's who drive only have a learner's permit and are with a licensed driver and may not drive after dark until they're at least 16.

75 y/o's aren't necessarily a bigger risk than other categories of drivers. And they're certainly not all Florida residents...look at the snow birds here from October to April. Then look at the vehicle fatalities in Florida. The old folks aren't #1.

I agree that Oregon seems to have the best drivers...I love the fact that most of the actually drive in the right hand lane except for passing! That's something Florida could could do lots better.

I'm sure there are people like the Cummings in every state in the USA...unfortunately, the children suffer.

And, on a personal note, there are plenty of us happy in Florida. We could also be happy in another state. Generally, happiness comes from within and life is what you make of it.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well when you have lived in states where people who drive with no car insurance have their vehicles towed, and in states where you can't accrue 5 and 6 DUIs and still have a license, people like myself will comment about FL.

It is outrageous that FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers, when I tell friends back in CA that all they get is a ticket for no insurance and they keep driving, they are shocked.

FL also needs to raise the driving age(15 is too young) and start testing those over 75 every year, an eye and a road test.

We have lived all over the country and mainly in CA, and have never seen such poorly trained and inconsiderate drivers as there are here.

And it is not all the people from up north, hardly anyone is native of CA and we didn't see the "stunts" pulled on the road there like you do here on a daily basis.

IMO, Oregon has the best drivers that I have experienced. They do the speed limit, they use their signals, and very courteous in general.

And Scientific Madness I will take retirees from up north over uneducated white trash any day. When I see people like the family of that poor little Haleigh Cummings who was taken from her bed and hasn't been seen since.

Her real mother( who lost custody) is engaged to a man who is her step brother and has a third child with him.

Her father marries his 17 yr old girlfriend, and he also has a third child with another woman.

It's a sad story - the Haleigh Cummings story. I feel terrible and I cant believe it isnt getting the attention it was early on. The Casey Anthony story is dominating the headlines in Central FL.

One thing I will say is that you took one case (the Cummings case) and said you'd take northerners over white trash (assuming you are talking about FL natives), then I'd agree with you in this case obviously. But you are talking about ONE incident. How about the car mechanic from Brooklyn that kidnapped the little girl in Sarasota? How about the guy in Orlando that tried to kidnap that little girl, and had numerous convictions in NY? A lot of our crime isnt natives, sorry to tell you. FL is a magnet for transients and criminals, we all know this already. More importantly, it doesnt matter where they are from, it's a sad, sad story when kids get kidnapped and abducted. We need harsh, and I mean HARSH penalties for these creeps.

Way too many people die from car accidents and people being careless and speeding. Look at the states that have the worst, most inconsiderate drivers year after year. And these are the places that FL draws most of it's residents from, unfortunately.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:59 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

So when are you leaving?

Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACTS Mom View Post
Ok, seain dublin, I just have to make a few comments about your opinions -- can't let that pass by!

Why would Florida want to be another California? And talk about irrational laws -- get your car confiscated because you can't afford insurance after losing your job? Gimmee a break. We have enough ridiculous laws. And even with Cali's laws and taxes, they're still broke, so I can't see how they're any better than Florida.

I see more people wearing seatbelts here than in many other states --and yes, I've been to most of the US.

The 15 y/o's who drive only have a learner's permit and are with a licensed driver and may not drive after dark until they're at least 16.

75 y/o's aren't necessarily a bigger risk than other categories of drivers. And they're certainly not all Florida residents...look at the snow birds here from October to April. Then look at the vehicle fatalities in Florida. The old folks aren't #1.

I agree that Oregon seems to have the best drivers...I love the fact that most of the actually drive in the right hand lane except for passing! That's something Florida could could do lots better.

I'm sure there are people like the Cummings in every state in the USA...unfortunately, the children suffer.

And, on a personal note, there are plenty of us happy in Florida. We could also be happy in another state. Generally, happiness comes from within and life is what you make of it.
What do you suggest be done with the uninsured motorists? Heaven forbid if one should hit you and you are injured and your car totaled, are you going to accept the explanation, "I can't help you out. I lost my job and I couldn't afford car insurance and I have no money." Of course your uninsured and underinsured policy may cover some if it, but your premiums will be affected.

But back on topic, I don't see most of the Fla. posters as being totally negative. Many people have lost their jobs and the cost of living is high. Maybe the "happy ones" aren't in that same situation so life is good for them. Sometimes understanding and compassion goes a long way. You never know when life could strike several blows and you could be one of those "unhappy people". Life isn't just all what you make of it. Ever heard of horrible family illnesses, terrible accidents, job losses, etc. There are no guarantees in life and anyone who's life is sailing smoothly should be greatful rather then smug. (Last paragraph is not directed at poster I quoted.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida