Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times

Advertisements

What do Floridians do in their free time? What type of activities are popular during the hot months? What is a typical nonworking day like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 AM

321 posts, read 1,029,102 times
I love this question. Unfortunately, on a non-working day, I'm probably doing exactly what anyone in the Midwest is doing... laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, cleaning the house, running errands... LOL!

But if you're looking for the more "Florida" things, then , yes... we (my hub & I) do go kayaking and/or to the beach (not as often as we'd like, though, per the list above). We also enjoy sporting events, so we go to a lot of Rays games; next year we'll be able to go watch a farm team of their's that is moving from Vero Beach to Charlotte County. There are plenty of state parks to check out, as well as historical sites, museums, etc. And then of course, there's Disney. If you live close enough, an annual pass is a very good value. I have friends who are into boating, biking and tennis, also options... but not my thing. Oh, and don't forget the golf!

If you gave an idea of a specific area that you are curious about, we'd probably be able to be more specific.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:17 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
The same thing anyone does anywhere else. Chores around the house, going to Lowes, mowing the lawn, watching football. Whatever activities you do in the summer are the same in Florida. Going to the beach, boating , fishing, golf, tennis. It's still the United States. We aren't all that different here.

Old 10-25-2008, 06:34 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,174 times
On HOT days... Try to stay cool (just like the rest of the world does) hahaha.

NOTHING is different from any other actvities that we have done in any place on the globe that we have lived. WELL, other than Germany... there are no cool Castles to go visit here.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:12 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
On a hot day I am inside on the internet with the air conditioning on.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
The 10 months out of the year that its hot here, I spend my time indoors as much as possible. Those 2 months of nice weather we get, thats when you do things outdoors, like go to the beach, the everglades, yard work, etc.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:53 AM

436 posts, read 1,357,342 times
Since I am a teacher, I get out of work a few hours before dinner. After dinner, I try to do as many chores as I can so that my weekend is not bogged down with them. On the weekends, we are out and about. We either go to the beach, take day trips through the many areas which surround us. We are fairly new here, so I love to investigate new areas. I ask my co-workers for places to go, and then we check them out! What is nice about Florida is that unlike up north, you don't have to rush to do everything in the late spring and summer before it gets too cold to do them. You have the entire year! I love that. When I lived up north, I would feel that I had to rush to a shore area every chance I could get because those summer months are so short-lived. But here I don't have that problem, and in fact as the months go on, it gets better and better.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:58 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
Floridians are tending their gardens and lawns. The beauty of living in Florida is that you can be doing something with or to your garden year-round. A whole heap of flowers that are considered annuals in other parts of the country are perennials in Florida. For one, the impatiens is not only a perennial in FL, but the longer it is in the ground, the bigger it will get and it will spread by itself just like a weed.

You don't have to have a green thumb to have a lavish garden in Florida. The climate is just a perfect mix of sunshine, humidity and rainfall to keep the leafy people thriving.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
I love walking outdoors in our neighborhood, looking at the birds and other wildlife. There are large egrets and herons that roost along the lake here.
I get to the beach as often as I can, during the hot months in the summer we'll swim there, and enjoy the cool breeze, but in the winter I love to go just to walk along the shoreline.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM

6,103 posts, read 15,083,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherDayInParadise View Post
I love this question. Unfortunately, on a non-working day, I'm probably doing exactly what anyone in the Midwest is doing... laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, cleaning the house, running errands... LOL!

But if you're looking for the more "Florida" things, then , yes... we (my hub & I) do go kayaking and/or to the beach (not as often as we'd like, though, per the list above). We also enjoy sporting events, so we go to a lot of Rays games; next year we'll be able to go watch a farm team of their's that is moving from Vero Beach to Charlotte County. There are plenty of state parks to check out, as well as historical sites, museums, etc. And then of course, there's Disney. If you live close enough, an annual pass is a very good value. I have friends who are into boating, biking and tennis, also options... but not my thing. Oh, and don't forget the golf!

If you gave an idea of a specific area that you are curious about, we'd probably be able to be more specific.
You like the question, I like your answer - its positive and up beat. Florida makes it easy to be active out side all year round. That's not to say you can't be active or enjoy winter sports in some of the Northern climates, but you are drawn indoors more. Some of the things you mentioned are positive, informative, interesting, and not expensive either.

It's Ok to reflect on the realities of life, but there is no need to dwell on them. Everyone is in the same boat as far as those things are concerned. There are plenty of opportunities to be positive about, to be engaged in, that can be fun enjoyable, and a rewarding distraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida