Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Wow, check this out. There are a LOT of properties for sale in Ft. Myers and North Ft. Myers. I did a search for homes there and it showed 11,762. Wonder why there are so many homes for sale just in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Are you kidding? Estero is FULL of snowbirds. I worked in Estero for many years. I would work 40 hours a week until the snowbirds left. Then I would be cut down to 10 or 15 hours a week.

I had a retired friend that live in one of the gated communities. It was a ghost town from May to December.

What the heck are you talking about?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Exclamation in some cases-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The News Press says that every year.

And it doesn't matter. Tourism has nothing to do with people actually buying houses in Lee County.

tourism is a BIG negative. Some people will never buy real estate in a major tourist town. Just because a place has people flocking to it, does not mean the property will appreciate in value.

sunny

Old 05-08-2007, 07:11 PM

155 posts, read 473,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, check this out. There are a LOT of properties for sale in Ft. Myers and North Ft. Myers. I did a search for homes there and it showed 11,762. Wonder why there are so many homes for sale just in that area.
For North Ft. Myers the reason is that all the old people are selling their property becasue North Ft. Myers-North Cape Coral is next on the developers list (commercial is still big business in Lee with Cape Coral the number one city in the country for commercial growth). All the old people who moved there years ago don't like the growth and are selling their mobile homes and condos. I don't know why Ft. Myers is high other than people trying to make a buck. Even if you bought your house a few years ago, you can still make about 100,000 on it even in todays market.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
Never said it did! I was simply saying that snowbird numbers are down but tourism is up. Not all tourists in Lee County are old. And I believe it was you who advised us all to check the news-press for crime info. So the news-press is honest when it comes to crime but not to tourists? I don't get it.
No. I said to check the Lee County Sheriff stats and YOU said they exaggerated.

What the heck does the AGE of tourists have to do with this conversation? How does that affect the demographic?

And if snowbird numbers are down then Lee County is absolutely screwed because most of the economy relies on them.

What is it you do for a living?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? Estero is FULL of snowbirds. I worked in Estero for many years. I would work 40 hours a week until the snowbirds left. Then I would be cut down to 10 or 15 hours a week.

I had a retired friend that live in one of the gated communities. It was a ghost town from May to December.

What the heck are you talking about?
OK you live in Knoxville and Lee county has changed even since when you lmoved there. Estero's median age is 60, but the college is attracting a lot of young people. The new malls are also a draw to the area. I know that among 20 to 21 year olds, that is going to be the place to be. Nice apartments and condos and close to the college. It is old but CHANGING!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
No. I said to check the Lee County Sheriff stats and YOU said they exaggerated.

What the heck does the AGE of tourists have to do with this conversation? How does that affect the demographic?

And if snowbird numbers are down then Lee County is absolutely screwed because most of the economy relies on them.

What is it you do for a living?
You're right. And as I said businesses that depend on them are suffering. Snowbirds stay in houses, tourists stay in hotels. Hotels do not benefit from snowbirds. And you are the one who started this conversation by replying to my comment about the median age of Ft. Myers being 32. I live here everyday so I think I know more up to date info than you do all the way up in Knoxville.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
Even if you bought your house a few years ago, you can still make about 100,000 on it even in todays market.
Wrong. If you bought your house three years ago, you did NOT make $100,000. Prove it.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 PM

I have at least fifty family members living in Lee County right now. At least. And I am IMing one right now as we "speak." I talk to many of them every day. I know exactly what is going on there.

And why the heck is Lee County going to be the "place to be" for recent grads?

Name one reason.

And once again, what do you do for a living?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Wrong. If you bought your house three years ago, you did NOT make $100,000. Prove it.
I can't I am not a realtor. I do know people who bought their house for 120,000 and can sell it for 220,000. In places like Cape Coral that is not the case. But for a nicer area of Ft. Myers near the river you can definately make 100,000. Can't you stay in the Knoxville forum. You're always trying to start an argument with me. Aren't you the one who used to work for the news-press?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida