Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inftmyers View Post
No. She was looking for a younger crowd and north florida tends to attract the older people trying to escape the hustle and bustle of coastal living. Lots of southern style communities and lots of mobile home parks. People wanting to relax love it, those looking for jobs and something to do hate it.
Oh, I so beg to differ. Lee County is riddled with snowbirds and over-55 parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
No. She was looking for a younger crowd and north florida tends to attract the older people trying to escape the hustle and bustle of coastal living. Lots of southern style communities and lots of mobile home parks. People wanting to relax love it, those looking for jobs and something to do hate it.
By "North" Florida, you might be encompassing more areas than I'm referring to, but in "NorthEast" Florida, it is actually pretty young.

Like I had mentioned, the average age in Jacksonville is 36 and it often feels even younger. Lots of young professionals, lots of college kids. It's coastal, but it's not slow paced here.

Now if you went North to, say Amelia Island, the demographic would change and you'd have an older crowd. South to St. Augustine used to have an older crowd, but it's getting younger and younger.

It's changed a lot in NE FL, it's really not at all the way you described except maybe out in the country/inland.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:46 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I like the Mount Dora area...it would still be close enough to get up to see your Mother but its close enough to Orlando for lots of fun.

I have a couple friends who are in real estate and they say the prices are still very reasonable there. In the next several years 417 will be extended around the west side of Orlando, making a loop, also making Mount Dora more accessible to Orlando AND this is likely to drive the prices up there however if you can get in now, you would have a good chance of your property appreciating.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:30 PM

155 posts, read 473,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Actually Ft Myers median age is 32. San Carlos is younger than that. Lehigh is getting younger as is Cape Coral. The only area still full of trailer parks is N. Ft. Myers and they will start changing too. Snowbird numbers are WAY down this year. Tourism is up about 10% though. Also S. Ft. Myers is changing too with the growth from FGCU. FGCU is the fastest growing college in the nation.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Once again, the median age is 32 if you do not count the snowbirds.

I bet that Lehigh is younger since all the gangs and illegals moved in. That will change the demographic fast!

FGCU is the fastest growing college. Haven't heard of that. Doesn't really matter, though. I lived in that area for years. Those students are just that. They do not stay there year round. In fact, due to job prospects and housing costs, they move away as soon as they get their degree.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,972 times
Quote:
DITTO! I totally agree.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM

543 posts, read 1,227,972 times
Quote:
Actually Ft Myers median age is 32. San Carlos is younger than that. Lehigh is getting younger as is Cape Coral. The only area still full of trailer parks is N. Ft. Myers and they will start changing too. Snowbird numbers are WAY down this year. Tourism is up about 10% though. Also S. Ft. Myers is changing too with the growth from FGCU. FGCU is the fastest growing college in the nation.
With Whom did you take statistics? I have heard tourism is down. Estero is getting the flow from FGCU.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
With Whom did you take statistics? I have heard tourism is down. Estero is getting the flow from FGCU.
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070504/BUSINESS/70504046/1014/BUSINESS (broken link)

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070505/BUSINESS/705050420/1014/BUSINESS (broken link)

Plus snowbirds don't go to Ft. Myers. They go to N. Ft. Myers and the suberbs (or whatever you want to call them). Are you kidding, snowbirds in a city that is less than 50% white? That will never happen. Again, snowbirds are leaving in droves! Lots of mobile homes and condos for sale in N. Ft. Myers. Businesses that cater to them are struggling too. There was a big write up in the paper. I'll post it here if I find it. The oldies hate Lee Co. more than some people on this forum. They can't wait to leave! Also, Estero and S. Ft. Myers are practically the same thing.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 PM

The News Press says that every year.

And it doesn't matter. Tourism has nothing to do with people actually buying houses in Lee County.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The News Press says that every year.

And it doesn't matter. Tourism has nothing to do with people actually buying houses in Lee County.
Never said it did! I was simply saying that snowbird numbers are down but tourism is up. Not all tourists in Lee County are old. And I believe it was you who advised us all to check the news-press for crime info. So the news-press is honest when it comes to crime but not to tourists? I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida