Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times

Advertisements

Can I throw in my naked trees, too???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 05:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Ya know, when I do move down there, I'm leaving most of my suits at the good will store......I'm retiring, and should not need too many suits and ties...
except for a funeral and wedding now and then....maybe for church....but like the old hymn says, "Blessed be the tie that binds"......IT DOES BIND....

My wife does say that she will not let me wear socks with sandals or those huge three sided sunglasses though.....still wants me to look somewhat cool.

I think it has been mentioned before.....both up here and down there, if you can and are willing to spend some on insulation, better windows, and up north, a high efficientcy 90+ furnace, or down there, a seer 13 or better A/C unit, your costs will be lower utility wise.......you just have to do a cost-payback comparision to see......

I realize that I can put a 90+ furnace in myself at a cost of well less than $1000, another person may have to pay someone 2 or 3 grand or more...thus making it a more costly way to save money. You do save a lot making minor repairs, like weatherstripping, caulk, changing filters more often, etc,etc. Some utilities will come to your house and do an audit, to help you save.

I always thought that if the government really wanted everyone to conserve, they would have anything like caulk, insulation, etc be a tax deduction, as a little more incentive to become more energy independent.

It is sad to see the poor or elderly stay poor and cold because they cannot afford to fix their drafty houses. Our church has done some work in this area, but it should be more widespread. It is amazing how a $4.00 piece of weatherstripping stops a huge draft, saving much more then the $4.00 it costs.......

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida