Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
I've lived in Central Florida all of my life. I'll take "Freeze". If I could sit on a golf course every day, or the beach, or by a pool under an umbrella, or wallow around in one of the cool springs, then I don't mind sweating. But when I have to wear business atire every day and walk around in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity, I can't stand it. My cloths get soaking wet. I go through shirts, etc. like some people go through paper towels. No winter in Florida is ever "too cold". It's always a welcome relief, albeit quite temporary.

I've been in freezing cold weather for short periods of time, and at least you can dress warm to go outside. Now, this may not be true in places like North Dakota, or Wisconsin - I'd cross those off of my list. But, when talking about the kinds of winters they get in North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, even North Georgia - I'd gladly take their weather over ours - 20's and teens don't scare me.

FWIW, cold to me is anything below 35 degrees. If I'm doing any kind of physical work outside, I could easily wear jeans and a short sleeve shirt in temps 35 degrees and warmer, especially in higher altituded where the air is dryer and thinner.
Have to agree with you here. I'd rather be somewhere it doesn't get as hot or humid as FL, nor does it get extremely cold - like you said, under 35 degrees. From what I've read about the winters in Tennessee, North Carolina, Georigia, etc., it rarely gets below 35 during the winter, and when it does it's for a very short period of time. And of course, it doesn't get anywhere near as hot or humid (average highs in the 70's with low humidity, versus 80's with equal humidity).

Then again, I was born here. I can completely understand why someone who was born in the North would want to get away from their weather cycle just as much as I would like to get away from mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
It's hell when you can sit outside in 70 degree weather with a glass of wine and a good Cuban cigar in January. MMMMMMMMMM

Try that any other time of the month when its 90 with the sun beaming on you and the air humid and sticky and get back to me...

Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM

271 posts, read 934,264 times
Place a human in 31 degree F temperatures at 50% humidity for a few hours and watch them freeze to death.

Place a human in 95 degree F temperatures at 90% humidity for a few hours and watch them party to death.

You choose...

Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post
Place a human in 31 degree F temperatures at 50% humidity for a few hours and watch them freeze to death.

Place a human in 95 degree F temperatures at 90% humidity for a few hours and watch them party to death.

You choose...

If the human in 31 degree weather is wearing proper cloth, he will easily survive. I bet he will have lots of fun making snowmen
Meanwhile at 95 degree it doesnt matter how little you wear, youll hypertherminate and sweat to death. Ill take 31 over 95. Trust me, 95 is hot enough to be deadly, I have experienced dizziness and had to seek a cold air conditioner quick!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:35 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia View Post

You choose...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home
If the human in 31 degree weather is wearing proper cloth, he will easily survive. I bet he will have lots of fun making snowmen
Meanwhile at 95 degree it doesnt matter how little you wear, youll hypertherminate and sweat to death. Ill take 31 over 95. Trust me, 95 is hot enough to be deadly, I have experienced dizziness and had to seek a cold air conditioner quick!
Let me see... Freezing to death versus partying to death. Neither one is an option for me. Personally, I've never felt like partying when it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity. In fact, dying is closer to what I felt like doing.

As NAH said, if you're wearing the proper clothes, 31 degrees is not going to make you freeze to death, but no matter how little you're wearing in such extreme heat, it is still dangerous. And, although I haven't reasearched this, I am willing to bet that more people have died as a result of heat exhuastion, dehydration, and sunstroke than from freezing to death in America (I'm not being emphatic about this, though).

In any case, I'm not trying to make anyone change their mind as far as what kind of weather they prefer. It's their choice, and it's not my job to convince them otherwise. But I will defend myself when someone is trying to change my mind.

It just seems like one can make an example of an extreme situation on either side of an issue, but it won't change anyone's mind, and it won't bring anyone closer to the truth. I'm all for bringing out the facts that represent the benefits or downsides of two different climates, but there must be a fair balance. And obviously, some states have a more extreme part of the year that represents their respective climates than in the rest of the country.

All I ask is that we keep the exagerrations to a minimum, and realize we're not going to convert anyone to liking hot/cold weather, LOL!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I have lived in Florida my whole life and I h ave yet to experience a "cold" building. The majority are way too hot! I can't afford air conditioning but when I use it I just set the thermostat to 65 and the only time I feel cold is when I think of the FPL bill. I no longer own a sweater or jacket as south Florida never gets cold. When travelling north I actually enjoyed being able to wear a suit while walking outside in the fall or winter, and wearing a jacket , gloves and boots is fine with me. You can dress for the cold, but nothing quenches the burning heat. It sears your soul and makes you feel lazy. Sure if you're a bum doing nothing the heat is OK but try and do some work outside or workout with weights and feel the dizziness and sweat profusely. On a cooler day I feel energised, and can work hard all day without feeling sick or getting angry. Also am stronger and in cooler winters get in much better shape. In the summer I get too little sleep, grow a gut, have rashes and am constamtly angry. If I have to get up early I rurn the central air on. When the thermometer drops below 72 I feel so relaxed and the mood is great, but it's tempered by the thoughts of the 300.00+ power bill. At the office everyone wants to keep me away from the thermostat as I always lower it to the bottom of it's travel. Teeth chatter and I sit feeling comfortable.

While very cold is unpleasant I generally consider outside temps between 45-70 degrees ideal. For hard physical work 45-55 and for light work 55-65, 65-70 for just relaxing in a lounge chair. Anything higher than 75 requires a breeze or fan. You like heat? Go one summer with no air conditioning.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have lived in Florida my whole life and I h ave yet to experience a "cold" building. The majority are way too hot! I can't afford air conditioning but when I use it I just set the thermostat to 65 and the only time I feel cold is when I think of the FPL bill. I no longer own a sweater or jacket as south Florida never gets cold. When travelling north I actually enjoyed being able to wear a suit while walking outside in the fall or winter, and wearing a jacket , gloves and boots is fine with me. You can dress for the cold, but nothing quenches the burning heat. It sears your soul and makes you feel lazy. Sure if you're a bum doing nothing the heat is OK but try and do some work outside or workout with weights and feel the dizziness and sweat profusely. On a cooler day I feel energised, and can work hard all day without feeling sick or getting angry. Also am stronger and in cooler winters get in much better shape. In the summer I get too little sleep, grow a gut, have rashes and am constamtly angry. If I have to get up early I rurn the central air on. When the thermometer drops below 72 I feel so relaxed and the mood is great, but it's tempered by the thoughts of the 300.00+ power bill. At the office everyone wants to keep me away from the thermostat as I always lower it to the bottom of it's travel. Teeth chatter and I sit feeling comfortable.

While very cold is unpleasant I generally consider outside temps between 45-70 degrees ideal. For hard physical work 45-55 and for light work 55-65, 65-70 for just relaxing in a lounge chair. Anything higher than 75 requires a breeze or fan. You like heat? Go one summer with no air conditioning.
It just goes to show "to each his own"...I feel the complete opposite of this post.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM

33 posts, read 177,529 times
When I started this thread I knew there would be great differences, but the similarities are remarkable as well!
I can't believe that two seperate posters said that they get lazy from their prospective positions on the sweat or freeze poll.
It goes to show you that, as expressed by Frank on another thread, happiness, and now maybe laziness, is really your state of mind and not your state of residence.
Anyway, having your father-in-law telling you he's going poolside with friends for after dinner cocktails, sunsetting over the golf course view sounds like happiness to me.
Hey, I can't stand driving bundled up. My buddy brings deck shoes in his car because he can't stand driving a clutch in winter boots. Should've bought an automatic!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I have lived in Florida my whole life and I h ave yet to experience a "cold" building. The majority are way too hot! I can't afford air conditioning but when I use it I just set the thermostat to 65 and the only time I feel cold is when I think of the FPL bill...........

I am with ya man. I also feel like I was born in the wrong location and ill be happier in a more temperate(but not frigid!) climate. Heating costs less than a/c, I checked and if you know how to budget, you can heat a big house for under $200 a month and still stay nice and cozy. Our a/c bill is $400 a month and im still hot! My parents say they cant turn the a/c any lower, the bill is already too high!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM

24 posts, read 137,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBNYer View Post
When I started this thread I knew there would be great differences, but the similarities are remarkable as well!
I can't believe that two seperate posters said that they get lazy from their prospective positions on the sweat or freeze poll.
It goes to show you that, as expressed by Frank on another thread, happiness, and now maybe laziness, is really your state of mind and not your state of residence.
Anyway, having your father-in-law telling you he's going poolside with friends for after dinner cocktails, sunsetting over the golf course view sounds like happiness to me.
Hey, I can't stand driving bundled up. My buddy brings deck shoes in his car because he can't stand driving a clutch in winter boots. Should've bought an automatic!
I'm with you northernly exposed folks! Give me shorts, flip flops and a tee-shirt over wool socks, boots, gloves, tee-shirt, sweat shirt, leather jacket, scarf and hat ANY DAY!!!

Cold snap coming our way tommorrow (north Jersey)! Nice "breeze" coming down from Canada. Temps should drop another 10-15 degrees, boy I can't wait (sarcasm)!

I have forgotten what color my motorcycle is, it's been so long since I saw it.
Give me those beautiful palms and you other guys can have my bare oaks and maples, deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida