Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:43 AM

42 posts, read 214,359 times

Advertisements

I know there is a hiring freeze right now in florida. Anyone guess as to how long it will last? We a supposed to move to florida next year but if i can't get a teaching job we may have to have a plan B...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Schools are cutting back, this is the real year that many school systems are taking the hit. I would bet that the next school year will also see some cut backs. So the next two school years I would suspect for sure. But maybe longer in some counties, as some counties are seeing a decline in students, some are see an increase however.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,911,932 times
thats the only freeze florida will ever see!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluey29 View Post
I know there is a hiring freeze right now in florida. Anyone guess as to how long it will last? We a supposed to move to florida next year but if i can't get a teaching job we may have to have a plan B...
There are so many factors, and your question is so general that I do not suspect that anyone can give you a response that would be more than pure guesswork. If you are a Florida certified teacher of physics, chemistry, special education, your chances of securing a position would be better than if you wanted to be a PE, elementary, or art teacher in any type of "hiring freeze".

The bottom line is that Florida teachers are caught in a "Catch 22" situation. The Florida economy and growth (eg. schools) have been substantially funded by the real estate construction for many years. Real estate growth has substantially slowed/stopped/tanked in many sectors of Florida, and there does not appear to be an immediate end in sight. Keep a watchful eye upon the Florida real estate quandary, and then, you will have your answer to the conclusion of the hiring freeze.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
There is not only a hiring freeze most everywhere, but many counties are losing enrollment and more teachers are actually losing their jobs. Hard to say how long this will last.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
What Collier County is saying is this, "This position is for one year only. (This does not apply to current instructional staff)".

Teacher and aide positions were cut. People were bumped and reassigned according to their seniority with the district. It had nothing whatsoever to do with overall experience or competency, only years with the school district.

Many positions were not even openly posted, but simply sent by letter to those bumped.

At this point, nobody knows what will happen next year. 800 kids never came back to school in September last year. Who knows how many this year? Will there be more cuts coming? Get out your crystal ball.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Our union, Volusia County (Daytona area) has informed us that due to major property tax cuts next year will probably be even worse, though as one of the PP already said, you really need a crystal ball to determine that for sure. I wish I had better news for you. Are you the person whose wife wants to attend chirpropractic school here? I do wish you all the best and hope things miraculously turn around.

Nancy

Old 07-24-2008, 10:24 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Schools are cutting back, this is the real year that many school systems are taking the hit. I would bet that the next school year will also see some cut backs. So the next two school years I would suspect for sure. But maybe longer in some counties, as some counties are seeing a decline in students, some are see an increase however.
Here in NEFL, most of our schools are busting at the seams with kids in trailers for classrooms because there's no room in the building. We're building schools because we absolutely need them, but finding funding for new teachers is tough.

The property tax cuts haven't really created any noticeable savings for the homeowners here, but miraculously slaughtered the city budget .

Old 07-25-2008, 06:50 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Yeah....isn't that an interesting situation. The windfalls the cities received in 2005-2007 have disappeared and now they are screaming that homeowners getting the minimal break we got, is killing their budgets. Of course, here in Orlando, they voted themselves an 18% raise!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Yeah....isn't that an interesting situation. The windfalls the cities received in 2005-2007 have disappeared and now they are screaming that homeowners getting the minimal break we got, is killing their budgets. Of course, here in Orlando, they voted themselves an 18% raise!
Its crazy! They (Miami-Dade Public Schools) misused our money, over payed, over spent, etc. I am glad to see the cut backs on stuff, they shouldn't have gotten so bloated obviously. Before the vote they threatened (scare tactic) that the local governments, schools, police and fire departments would see cuts, actually the FHP, local police, and fire departments are advertising they are looking for new people. Its obvious the schools and local governments have misused their money they are given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: