Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2006, 06:31 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times

Advertisements

Authorities have sentenced a guy that sold over ONE MILLION POUNDS of Catfish that was supposed to be Grouper.

Fraud. It's what's for dinner!

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=45654 (broken link)

Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Yeah, that story had far-reaching effect and will continue to. (As well it should.)
It's been interesting seeing everyone cover their butts around here.
The local grocery store is a bit more careful about how they present their fish.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:31 AM

944 posts, read 3,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yeah, that story had far-reaching effect and will continue to. (As well it should.)
It's been interesting seeing everyone cover their butts around here.
The local grocery store is a bit more careful about how they present their fish.
I was at a restaurant on St. Pete Beach a year ago and a guy got his plate and went ballistic on the waitress. Everyone thought he was nuts. He was yelling, "I know fish, this ain't grouper! This ain't grouper people, you're getting ripped off!" The manager eventually asked him to leave, and he did, but I really never thought much about it until this story started to break.

What is mind blowing is the scope of the whole thing. It's not like it was a tiny shack served by one or two boats..

Old 12-17-2006, 08:03 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
The Fish Story sounds like a guy, who was just trying to live the Florida Life Style! His idea may have been: These consumers are not too bright and will pay big bucks for anything I offer them up on a platter!

You know, I myself am missing the boat! I have some fine leather goods to sell, I wonder if people flocking here to Florida will buy them at a premium??? Hmmm, you know the leather is only of the finest quality, fetched from the most exquisite plastic cows in the world! I need to set up shop in a high traffic area QUICK!

Old 12-17-2006, 12:32 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
The Fish Story sounds like a guy, who was just trying to live the Florida Life Style! His idea may have been: These consumers are not too bright and will pay big bucks for anything I offer them up on a platter!

You know, I myself am missing the boat! I have some fine leather goods to sell, I wonder if people flocking here to Florida will buy them at a premium??? Hmmm, you know the leather is only of the finest quality, fetched from the most exquisite plastic cows in the world! I need to set up shop in a high traffic area QUICK!
People are all suckers. I had a friend who worked in the kitchen of one of the nicest restaurants on Los Olas in Fort Lauderdale. I stopped by to pick him up to go to the track for a few hours. I was in the kitchen waiting for him and was shocked to see they used frozen stuff like you get at Cosco. The topper was, I watched my friend, (he is not the owner and just did what he was told) making up a dessert in a crystal goblet.

This is like $8.00. It was Vanilla ice cream topped with fruit. The ice cream was Winn Dixi store brand I think it's called Superbrand for about $1.69 a half gallon. I am sure the customer after eating their $8.00 goblet of ice cream will rave about how great it was, they can't tell the difference, it's all in the presentation. Some people if you don't charge them enough aren't happy, they have to think they are getting something special.

I was in a store and a lady was admiring my sunglasses, they are Armanti. She was looking at them and telling me how nice they were. She asked me where I got them, when I told her at a garage sale for $10.00, some guy had thrown out his living partner and was selling all his stuff for nothing before he threw the rest in the dumpster, all of a sudden they were nothing special anymore. Only when she thought they cost like a couple of hundred was she admiring them. Their not knock off's they are real. I think 90% of what I own came from garage sales, some from trash piles. It is amazing what people throw away.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Elf:

Man, I have been in the US for a while now. I have worked my buttocks off, paid for college 100% out of pocket. I have had health insurance in ONLY 2 of my jobs, been sick before, had to pay out of pocket. I don't suck off the government, pay a lot in income taxes, love America!! I get REALLY ANGRY when people accuse America of the world's problems.... is it America's fault that crocked politicians run 3rd world countries, like Venezuela, Argentina, Brazil, Iran, etc?? NO!

My beef is how come ILLEGALS come in and waltz into a hospital, get free surgeries (non-emergency) and never pay?? Try doing that if you are American!! Is that fair to US Citizens?? Is it fair for legal immigrants who work hard and do everything by the book?? Also, if these amnesty-demanding illegals want their citizenship, why won't they TRY to integrate in American society as immigrants have done since 1620???

I REFUSE to speak Spanish with someone on the street. I would do it discreetly if they needed help, but just because they want to... nah. I learned English, my 86 year old grandma is taking classes so when she comes to VISIT (she does not live here, just visit), she can speak to my wife, people on the street, and etc.

I am sorry about the neg... man. I will give you a positive to even things out. I am sorry dude, I get attacked a LOT on this board, my score was almost 90 score at one point and I get liks 20 negs in one day for a posting.... people get mad when I post pics of MS-13 gang members, talk about the I-4 nightmare or the crazy costs of living, or crime....

Merry Christmas to you. *adds positive to posting*
Christian, I'm so glad you posted this. I had always thought you were such a negative person, but I really admire the way you feel about life and the way you take responsibility for yourself. Glad you are here and actually LIKE America. It's a little depressing to know that the illegals are here sucking out of the government and actually don't even like it here. So, they're just out to make a buck, huh? Too bad they don't go home where they can be happy.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:07 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times

You can get bait out of a vending machine in front of Wal Mart Heh he heh

Minor summer flooding

Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Christian, I'm so glad you posted this. I had always thought you were such a negative person, but I really admire the way you feel about life and the way you take responsibility for yourself. Glad you are here and actually LIKE America. It's a little depressing to know that the illegals are here sucking out of the government and actually don't even like it here. So, they're just out to make a buck, huh? Too bad they don't go home where they can be happy.
Most aliens tell me at work that they hate being here in the US and hate having to work for their pay. It is sickening. I tell people that illegals should be removed and an amensty will just create more strife, more poverty, and worse working conditions for the poor and middle classes and people are shocked when they learn I am from Argentina. I just despite the illegal alien culture of "let's take advantage of the system". We have aliens who jump the border just to ahve a free heart surgery or to get free healthcare, while AMERICANS cannot do that.

I love Ameirca and that is why I work hard and look after myself w/o the govt's help. I hate the attitude that illegals have... stealing people's identity, getting welfare, cheating on thier taxes, forging documents, you know the drill. Look, I have worked full time in the private sector for over 3 years (legal field) and no health insurance, no benefits. If I get sick, I have to tough it out, I cannot afford to go to a hospital or clinic. If I was illegal, I'd go to the clinic and the clinic just passes the cost of care to the US Government. How is that fair???? I am here legally and American citizen cannot do that... if they go and cannot pay for their med treatment, they get slapped with collections, lawsuits, lien on their properties and illegals get a free pass!! How is this fair???

I worked immigration law for 2 years, it is more depressing than criminal and family law (divorce) combined and multiplied by two. Immi law is a gold mine and these attorneys sell their souls to help these illegal aliens stay in the US. A LOT of illegal aliens are hardcore violent criminals, with 4 page long rap sheets. I had one illegal alien who had 3 arson convictions (still not deported) tell me (laughing, for some odd reason) that if he got deported he'd come and torch my house down before he gets removed (or he'd come back through Mexico to do it). He thought it was funny.

And under the Bush proposed amnesty, this guy could stay in the USA permanently. His arson convictions are not engough to get him deported. And if he were deported, he'd come back through the Mexican border and get the amnesty anyway. Pathetic

Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 AM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 432,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
For the Unbelievers:

Overturned tourist in Lakewood Ranch, 40MPH zone.......how'd joo doo dat?

I was run over on my '49 Pan in 2003, I was riding in a parade on the other coast for a fund raiser for MD, and a senior citizen didn't happen to notice the police cars or barricades and ran through an FHP car, some barrels, me, and one other motorcyclist before coming to rest on top of a fire hydrant. The blue car was a body at rest before all this with nobody in it, and the guy next to me just got some scrapes. It just basically knocked him down.

This happened in Bradenton in early November. A home-made trailer being hauled by George W's "Guest Workers" ILLEGAL ALIENS (basically a huge plywood box filled with concrete forms and rebar) came apart and went into an oncoming school bus. This is a common occurance.

This was also Bradenton area.

Keep a camera in your car.
My wife and I actually have videos in our windshields as well as good cameras for work. We use them a lot. They really help with hit-and-runs (about 28% of all accidents in District 14) other things. We've actually filmed some really good assaults and robberies this way. Just last night some fruit ran down through the parking lot at a Sarasota Walgreens with his genetalia in his hand and my wife hit the switch and caught it, although it was almost dark out. A few months ago I got a truck losing a load of lumber on I-95 and he kept on going. He went to jail that one.
As an add one to the local news:

Check out the local news (wftv.com) highlights for Friday (only Friday, every morning, we get a new batch of voilent crimes.... It is the same thing, crimes get worse and worse everday, very depressing):

10:30AM WEBCAST UPDATE:
# Guardian Angels Meet With Orlando Police Dept - guardianangels.org/pdf/1663.pdf

# Vandals Destroy Holiday Decorations

Woman Held At Gunpoint For Game Console
Caught On Video: Robbers Carry Huge TVs Out Of Store

Two Shot In IHOP Parking Lot After Argument
http://www.wftv.com/2006/1218/10558216_240X180.jpg (broken link)

Police Investigating Orlando's 46th Murder

POSTED: 12:39 pm EST December 16, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Orlando Police are investigating the city's 46th murder of 2006.

Police are still trying to figure out what prompted the shooting late Friday night at the Northwest Community Center off Mercy Drive. They are also still trying to identify the person who was shot.

Residents said this area has seen its share of crime; however, they said the young man who died looked like he did not belong there.

----
Man Confesses to Killing Grandmother For Drug Money

POSTED: 10:59 am EST December 18, 2006

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A Volusia County man confessed to killing his own grandmother for drug money.

Investigators said 20-year-old Christopher James Culp told them he killed his grandmother Saturday morning because he needed money for crack cocaine.

----
Man Set On Fire In Dispute

POSTED: 8:20 am EST December 18, 2006

MIAMI -- A man has been charged with attempted murder and another man is in a Miami hospital with second- and third-degree burns.

Miami-Dade police said Barrios Yoel and Antonio Barba had been involved in an ongoing dispute.

Last edited by Christian11; 12-18-2006 at 09:55 AM..

Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times
You would **** yourself if you knew what they WON'T show you on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida