Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 AM

312 posts, read 1,905,288 times

Advertisements

I had to tell you about MY alligator experiences:

1. Went fishing for a big bass, but 4 foot long gator bit my floating red/white bobber and won't let go. I reeled it to the shore and it got really MAD that it chased after us!!

~and~

2. Went on a canoe ride with my husband and his friend. I sat in the middle and the boys were in front/back. It was at Blue Springs, Deland, FL. There, two eyes up on the water surface, staring at us. We stopped paddling, hoping for the gator to get pass us. Instead of passing us, the gator went UNDER our canoe, almost tipped our canoe over! I screamed with panic and the boys paddled away harder than ever!

NEVER go on canoe ride again!!!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Recent Gator Attack samples. You know the little ponds behing your apt complex?? How about that lake you like to swim in? Well, Gators are protected in FL, kill one and you might have to do time in prison (even in self defense).

Because of urban sprawl, overcrowding, and real greed from builders, the gators have nowhere to go these days.
Back in 1999, I saw a gator near I-4 west, past of Haines City, FL!! He was just hang out, walking along the street.... So because humans are stealing their space and habitat,the gators are coming to a neighborhood near you!

Here are a few recorded gator attacks in the past few years. Keep in mind, this is a SAMPLE of all the people attacked/eaten!

# Sanibel, Florida - September 11th 2001, 82 year old Robert Steele was attacked and killed while walking his dog on a trail between two wetland areas in the J.N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge. FWC officers later killed a 10'9" and 6' alligator.

# Lake County, Florida - June 18th 2003, 12 year old Brian Griffin was attacked while swimming near a boat ramp on the Dead River. The alligator was 10'4" long 339 pounds and was subsequently destroyed along with several other large gators.

# Sanibel Island, Florida - June 2004, 54 year old Janie Melsek was attacked and killed by a 12 foot long, 457 pound alligator, while working on landscaping.

# Lee County, Florida - 20 year old Michelle Reeves was killed by a 7'11" male alligator when she went swimming after midnight in a retention pond at Lee Memorial Health Park

# Lakeland, Florida - March 15th 2005, fishermen discovered the body of 56 year old Don Owen about 12 miles from his home, he had been missing since March 9th. Trappers later caught an 8'9" 300 pound alligator that had Mr. Owens forearm in it's stomach. It was later determined that the alligator had been fed by area residents which is illegal.

# Port Charlotte, Florida - July 15 2005, Kevin Albert Murray, 41, was swimming in the Apollo Waterway when a 12-foot alligator attacked and killed him.

# Sunrise Florida - May 10, 2006 Yovy Suarez Jimenez, 28, went out for an evening jog and was last seen dangling her feet over the water of a canal near her home. Her partially consumed body was found in the canal the following morning.
Why a straight line when running away from gators? I always heard zig zag because they can run fast straight but can't turn well.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,143 times
Default Everglades...

Have anyone seen/had to get rid of a snake down here? I saw a little coral snake on my apt stariway a month or so ago.

Hey Check this out... This gator got killed and then eaten by a snake!!

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/TECH/science/12/18/python.detectives.ap/story.python.afp.gi.jpg (broken link)

EVERGLADES NATIONAL PARK, Florida (AP) -- "SNAKE!" Hearing this shout, Skip Snow slammed on the brakes. When the off-roader plowed to a halt, he and his partner, Lori Oberhofer, leaped out and took off running toward two snakes, actually -- a pair of 10-foot Burmese pythons lying on a levee, sunning themselves.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: [cut - too much of the article reposted]

Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
I have a hilarious alligator story. My sister and I were canoeing at Blue Springs. My sister had never canoed before so I was trying to teach her. She was doing OK until she spotted an alligator sunning himself by the shore. He wasn't paying the slightest attention to us, but she paniced and started turning the canoe round and round in circles. Our husbands and half the other people at the park that day, it seemed, were standing on the bank laughing hysterically at us. We still laugh about that one.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:55 PM

106 posts, read 573,315 times
Default Worst of florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
We know all about Michigan, and especially Detroit. That's why we don't live there.
Then why do you keep dogging out your home state.
Is the grass not so green on the other side?
Is that what these pics are trying to convey.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
This is the picture from the everglades....

The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:38 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,075 times
My warning to any and all crack smokers that may be tempted to take off their clothes and cavort about nature!!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Gat.jpg (broken link)

By the way Christian, that list does not include the two most recent fatalities (Summer 06) in Ocala and Dunedin.

Last edited by Muggy; 12-20-2006 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 PM

598 posts, read 2,269,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
My warning to any and all crack smokers that may be tempted to take off their clothes and cavort about nature!!

OMGosh that 911 call was crazy! Wonder what happened with that guy? Never heard an update.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:16 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
Then why do you keep dogging out your home state.
Is the grass not so green on the other side?
Is that what these pics are trying to convey.
I was replying with pictures to a thread entitled " The worst of Florida (photos and stories)!"....... or thought I was.

Somehow, I unknowingly ended up in the "Tell us all about why you hate Detroit" post.

I will try not to slip again!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:51 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,143 times
Cool The Orlando skyline and Christmas weather

I would also like to point out the large number of construction sites in this area, and I want everyone to try to image how downtown Orlando will look like in a few years, once all the high-rise buildings are finished. Will you be able to see the sky or the sunset? I think not.

You can see the cranes in the downtown skyline... they are everywhere you look, it is not very pleasing to the eye. Can you imagine when all these apt homes (aka. condos) are ready?? Where will all these folks park their cars, what space will we have have on the roads? Where will all these kids go to school? Where will these folk work, my God the job market here is crap right now, WHAT WILL HAPPEN THEN???

Out-of-state folks need to make a decision of moving somewhere based on not just on what a city/area is, but also on what it will be like in a few years too, if you do not plan head, you could end up stuck with a crappy house or even worse, a condo, and not be able to sell and be desperate to move away!!

Enjoy!!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/OrlandoSkyline2.jpg (broken link)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/OrlandoSkyline1.jpg (broken link)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/Cranesnmorecranes.jpg (broken link)

This is the "nice" part of downtown called Paramore. It is not as bad as Pine Hills (Crime Hills), but it is very violent, lots of drug dealers and crime here. Downtown folk have to deal with the crime spilling downtown.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/AviwofParamoreoneoftheghettosneardo.jpg (broken link)

To get to the ghetto, you need a PimpMobile!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/PimpcartryingtoexitonParamore.jpg (broken link)

There is construction everywhere, speeding tickets are doubled.... BUT WHERE WILL THE ROAD CONTINUE TO GROW... even with the construction, it's already a mess!!!!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/christian32835/Roadconstructioniseverywhere.jpg (broken link)

Comments welcome!

Last edited by Christian11; 12-21-2006 at 09:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida