Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times

Advertisements

Honestly, for mw, I had to be sold on moving here. I first moved to Florida in 2003, down to the Treasure Coast area. I moved there from Boston and I was worried about the overly conservative, oppressively hot environment and lack of arts and culture. My firends in Boston gave me poor odds to make it here for more than a few years. I have now been here for almost 14 years, 5 years in the reasure Coast and alomst 9 years in Tampa. To me the key is appreciating what the place offers you, and I have come from being someone who moved here somewhat reluctantly for a job to someone who has to be convinced of moving elsewhere. The winters are great; I've learned how to deal it the summers. The amazing birds are, well - amazing; I've learned that is just as cool as the mammals I miss up noth such as the wolverines. The sports teams are relatively common and accessible; I've learned tat can be just as awesome as museums.

Also, I get more home for my buck here and over the course of the years have generally settled in. It's home, now, more than anywhere else. I don't like th governor, don't like all the wacky things that happen here, but they all make me realize this is home.

Lok around. Embrace what you see. That's your home, that;s your neighborhood. It has something to offer, I promise.

CrowGirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 12:13 PM

197 posts, read 199,594 times
Born and bred here as they call me the cracker lady.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:02 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathte View Post
We haven't moved to FL YET. But we will once we sell the house up here in NY . Hubby is retired (at 53) and we find living on his fixed income tough and the taxes are outrageous!
Wow, how was he able to retire at 53?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
That's right....we thought it was going to be 5 years but spouse is turning 65 in May and get awful tired of working.......by the time May 2018 hits--spouse will be 66 and FRA and 45 years at that company. Enough is enough and life Really is TOO SHORT. So, we will enjoy everyday on this earth for sure but we have to plan for the escape out of the Frozen Tundra as soon as we can. LOLOLOL
Have you begun planning your exit from the northern latitudes? I'm on a very similar timeline, I completely retire 6/2018, and we're moving to gulf coast FL. Already getting our house ready for a spring campaign, real estate market isn't great around here and we expect it may some time to sell. Besides, we've lived in our northern home over 30 years, and just clearing out "stuff" is a major undertaking. So, don't underestimate the task of decluttering and getting your house ready.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:12 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I moved here 32 years ago to get away from a 80% democrat city, high taxes, fees, fines, crime, filth, traffic, tolls on bridges-tunnels-highways, pot holes, winter- snow-ice-wind chill. Can you guess the city?
Are you happy ? So many dems as neighbors and if live in one of our major cities- be the same -except cold weather ??

Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM

103 posts, read 230,670 times
I'm a native but left & lived in CT for 24 years. We moved back in 2013 for several reasons....to be closer to our parents/families, escape the long gray winters, snow & ice and for the laid back vibe. I have no regrets! I love being back in my home state. I love how friendly everyone is, all of the natural beauty Florida offers and the winter weather. And I don't mind the summers due to AC and having a pool.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 PM

65 posts, read 56,454 times
Hi Cindy! We've been chatting off and on since my husband and I left the Rockford, Il area two years ago. We actually landed where Swim is looking to move (North of Tampa/Clearwater. We are very happy in Florida and it IS mostly about the weather. I know you have been looking forward to heading down for a long time. I hope you do make the jump! I went back to Northern Illinois a week ago and it was so gray, gray, gray (let alone cold). It made me appreciate coming back to blue skies and sunshine, even if it has been a frigid 50 degrees here!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Hey New Where did you guys wind up? Weather does suck here in NJ too lol

Old 02-01-2017, 09:12 PM

65 posts, read 56,454 times
Forget me already Swim? I'm in Trinity!

Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Have you begun planning your exit from the northern latitudes? I'm on a very similar timeline, I completely retire 6/2018, and we're moving to gulf coast FL. Already getting our house ready for a spring campaign, real estate market isn't great around here and we expect it may some time to sell. Besides, we've lived in our northern home over 30 years, and just clearing out "stuff" is a major undertaking. So, don't underestimate the task of decluttering and getting your house ready.
Oh, believe me, I know about the "decluttering" LOL I have begun to sell, give away or donate things that I just don't use anymore.
Our house is only 14 years old and we have added allot of value to it on top of the fact it is right across from a Catholic church/school. So, it shouldn't be too hard to sell
We have been gathering as much info as possible about all that moving entails. Getting info on here, talking to folks when we are in Florida, talking to people that have moved to Florida, etc. I am like a sponge so any info I get, I value
Good luck to you and if you would like to PM me and bounce idea's, questions, comments, anything---feel free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida