Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:05 PM

63 posts, read 255,551 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to Daytona Beach this fall from VT.We are sick of the cold and keeping our dogs cooped up all winter long. Also we are avid race fans and like harleys. My husband is a 30 year + cnc/lathe/injection mold machinist and I work in home medical equipment (DME providers). Does anyone know if there is much employment in either of these fields? Also how is life for dogs in DB. I see that there is a dog beach but what else? We don't have kids so schools and family type things are not important to us. A bar that serves great margaritas is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:11 PM

11 posts, read 62,747 times
If you're a race and Harley fan then Daytona is the place for you. I lived in daytona beach for 4 years (been gone for about 4 years now). I'm not sure about those job fields or too much about the dog friendlyness but I can help with entertainment. Best bar for any great drink is the Ocean Deck: beach front drinking along with a great reggae band and yummy food. If you want to hang out with the biker crowd but still get great food try the Wreck on main street. My favorite healthy cafe is the Dancing Avocado Kitchen on Beach St. If you want some great southern style food try Aunt Catfish's on Dunnellon.
There's a good stretch of park on Beach St where you can probably take your dog.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 15,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmlavallee View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to Daytona Beach this fall from VT.We are sick of the cold and keeping our dogs cooped up all winter long. Also we are avid race fans and like harleys. My husband is a 30 year + cnc/lathe/injection mold machinist and I work in home medical equipment (DME providers). Does anyone know if there is much employment in either of these fields? Also how is life for dogs in DB. I see that there is a dog beach but what else? We don't have kids so schools and family type things are not important to us. A bar that serves great margaritas is!
I moved to Holly Hill, Fl. next to Daytona Beach from Maryland. Lived there for almost five years. Bought a house, won the Award for the "Best House" for the month of May in 2000. Married my second wife, she worked in Daytona and Holly Hill. I loved the beach in the afternoon talking to the people that had moved there or just visited for the winter. We loved the restaurants in Daytona and on the beach. Many nice areas for cocktails and entertainment and not hard to find! Our dogs loved to lie in the driveway on the hot concrete during the summer. I would walk them in the Rivera Park on Riverside Drive and enjoyed sitting on the benches under the Palm trees. Florida is another way of life to be experienced. The hospitals can use DME personnel and they are just a telephone call away. Hope you enjoy your move, I know I did. I now live back in Maryland due to wife and sickness but would love to still be in Florida. Also I loved to sit at the track and watch the visitors at Daytona USA. All in all I had a memoriable time in Florida.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 22,819 times
Daytona is very affordable compared to other parts of Florida. It is very laid back and great for bikers and race fans. The job market is kind of low level though. Not too many good paying jobs but the cost of living is not so high either.
There are jobs for nurses, teachers, police, social workers and medical.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM

58 posts, read 212,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snmlavallee View Post
I believe your husband should check out Hudson Tool & Die in Ormond Beach (just N of Daytona) for a machinist job. They always have a sign out front looking for good employees. You don't necessarily have to live right in Daytona to enjoy your Harley or Nascar. In fact you're better off in the towns to the north or south. Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley "Destination Daytona" is now in Ormond at the Flagler County/Volusia border. Great place for biker fun! Check things out online for more details.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 15,387 times
Post 2 girls MOVE TO DAYTONA BEACH

Hi!!! We are 2 girls 18 years old each and we want to move to daytona beach!!! I go each year there with my mother in vacancy so i know the place... But i want to know if its possible to work there because we are canadian and if it possible to live there to have a place to sleep but very lowest price...??? Its my dream and i know we are young but its the time for me and her to do this now !!! so if somebody can help me ...Thank you"!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 06:33 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,836,214 times
I believe you will need a green card in order to work legally. I saw an article today that said that the tourism industry is down about 10% right now. I'm sure you can find a job as a waitress or working in a hotel though. The International Speedway Corporation has a call center as well that hires college aged people.

There are lots of apartments in Daytona- stick to the area by the mall. And since you're two young women, make sure you're in a safe area. Daytona goes from relatively safe to pretty bad in some areas.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 15,159 times
Default Injection Mold Maker

The company I work for is searching for a mold maker, it is north of Daytona in Jacksonville. you could send a reseme to [EMAIL="jobs@prezine.com"]jobs@prezine.com[/EMAIL] if you have an intrest.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM

63 posts, read 255,551 times
Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea on what to expect for a starting salary? We haven't moved yet but would still like to. The downslide of the economy is scaring the crap out of us. Also do you know what a 1 bedroom apt might cost in this area?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,423 times
Here are some websites for you to check out before you make the decision:

Local economy:
Daytona Beach News-Journal Online

Apartments:
Florida Pennysavers

Jobs:
https://www.employflorida.com/

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida