Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 07:06 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times

Advertisements

Where we came from? I assume your including me? I'm from FL, born n raised. I mentioned that to you already. You seem very different from the native Floridians I know. If you dont like the way ppl like me, maybe you are in the wrong place? You seem like the uppity type. The kind you see in South FL, where ppl like to pretend they're better than others, or pretend to have a great job with lots of money, lease nice cars but they're in dent up to their eye balls.

I'm not sure what it is to "out Florida" me any day of the week, and I like to rest on Sundays so no worries there.

Perhaps you would like to live in Massachusetts or Illinois? Or South FL? That may help with the hatred you have for my "kind of people", whatever that is supposed to mean anyway (???)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Probably not to your definition. Everyone has their own idea of what progressive/liberal/artsy/bohemian means. On the Gulf Coast, St. Pete comes the closest to MY personal idea of that.

You probably just want another state, or perhaps where you already are.
I'm thinking ahead to retirement. As for my definition, ideally the town would have a statue of Eugene Debs in the square.

I know St Pete Beach fairly well. The state has 10 million people, doesn't it? There must be some place. Perhaps voting record data is the way to go about this search.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:13 AM

try asheville.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:23 AM

172 posts, read 239,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
You seem very different from the native Floridians I know. If you dont like the way ppl like me, maybe you are in the wrong place?
No, I'm in the right place and thankfully, prices have finally caught up so there are now vastly more people here that are 'like me' whereas the hillbillies are mostly priced out to the mobile homes on the fringes of the county .

Nobody argues that Florida doesn't have its hick contingent.
The fact that you're unaware of FL Natives who aren't counted in its ranks is more commentary on the scope of the company you keep, than anything else.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I know St Pete Beach fairly well. The state has 10 million people, doesn't it? There must be some place. Perhaps voting record data is the way to go about this search.
South Florida, Gainesville.

One thing you have to remember about FL is that its one of the last holdouts with no state income tax. This is a major consideration for the wealthy and high income individuals. When you look at the other no-tax states, 'warm' isn't an option save for Texas, but Florida is obviously a more desirable retirement on virtually every front, save for if your retirement needs fit into Austin.

The result is that certain communities have bulked up enclaves of significant prosperity, mostly along the coasts. I've found that wealthy people tend to break hard along political lines depending on their social consciousness but Florida wealthy aren't Massachusetts wealthy. We are mecca for the old, degenerate rich and always have been.

"Liberal" in Florida tends to be a different breed, although you never can generalize too much. Its more the 'get off my back, man' type of Liberalism, not so much the Red-Streak liberalism that you're going to get in Madison, Wisconsin.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
No, I'm in the right place and thankfully, prices have finally caught up so there are now vastly more people here that are 'like me' whereas the hillbillies are mostly priced out to the mobile homes on the fringes of the county .

Nobody argues that Florida doesn't have its hick contingent.
The fact that you're unaware of FL Natives who aren't counted in its ranks is more commentary on the scope of the company you keep, than anything else.
more ppl here that are 'like you'? as in..... ? wealthy? smart? ignorant? liberal? a teacher? prius drivers? the hillbillies, as you call them, are moving out of the state. go to asheville nc, raleigh, charlotte, etc... thats where native floridians are now. you deserve a medal for still being in FL, what are you in your 40's, 50s? and you were bron here? thats impressive, no?

you're in st john's co correct? are you sure that's the right place?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 AM

artisan4, try asheville nc.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
more ppl here that are 'like you'? as in..... ?
More people here who don't say 'ppl'.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:26 AM

wow. great response.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I'm thinking ahead to retirement. As for my definition, ideally the town would have a statue of Eugene Debs in the square.

The question to you is "why Florida?" Florida has NO place that is as "liberal" as what you are looking for. It is a huge melting pot of all types here, it is a "swing" state politically. It is the 3 most populated state in the country. You will only find little "pockets" of liberalism here and there. Maybe you want someplace in south Florida or the keys, which is probably as close as you are going to get.

Otherwise, I am being quite serious here, you should look elsewhere. It is pretty much "middle-of-the-road here, which is personally just the way I like it. I don't like anyplace that is too far to the right or left. I hope Florida stays this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida