Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 34,979 times

Advertisements

I just read some posts about the bugs that are in Florida. I am terrified of bugs and get freaked out when I see anything. Is the problem really bad down there (I'm from CT) and are there really any dangerous bugs to really worry about? In CT the hot summer brings mosquitoes and flies. Those I could handle. We also get small spiders, dragonflies, bees and other pesky things. They terrify me. So is Florida worse? I am still considering moving there but should I now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 183,119 times
There are bugs... There are roaches.... I am from Ct. and I hated them too. I had a fear of coming here because of them. But do not worry... I have been here for a year and I have seen one roach. It was just before my exterminator was due to come again. You kind of have to have that. Like Terminix. If they come and spray outside and inside you will not have any. I promise! lol. I do see some at the beach, and around the causeway here, and they are the big ugly ones! But they are in the grass and stuff. Really, you won't have any. I have a single family home, so I don't really know what you'll have if you were going to have an apt? Maybe someone else could answer that one. If I had bugs, trust me I'd be on the next plane outta here!! lol. Hope this helped?

Old 11-05-2006, 10:45 AM

627 posts, read 2,848,944 times
The difference you will notice is that the bugs are nearly Year Round.

The biggest problems (other than skeeters) are the ANTS and Spiders... Inside and Out! It seems like we are Constantly treating the lawn and house... I know that can not be good for any of our kids ( the skin kids or fur kids )

This year, we had a huge flea problem, if we walked out side, they would be all over us!! The last time I seen anything so bad was when I had a Foreclosed home that I was prepping for sale, it was INFESTED! YUCK

Just bring your Fly Swatter!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 01:34 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Smile Ok, here's the truth for you!

THE ANTS ARE THE WORST!

FIRE ANTS ARE NASTY AND CAN BITE THE HECK OUT OF YOU. I HATE THEM!

Watch out for florida carpenter ants also. They don't eat the wood, but just make a little nest to live in.

The roaches (palmetto bugs) aren't that bad unless you step on one LOL They are big and ugly but stay outside the house mostly. You should use a exterminator for those.

You also need to watch out for the black widow, brown widow, and the brown recluse.
Scorpions are also here too. They hide in dark places. I haven't seen one of those, but my son saw one while he was at work. Yuk!

Mosquitos are horrible in the summertime. You will need a screened in area around your pool.

Chinch bugs can reak havoc on your lawn.

Dragonflies eat mosquitos and don't bother ya.

Lovebugs are a pain while driving along the highways, other than that, they don't hurt you.

We also have large and I mean large green/orange grasshoppers. They are as big as the palm of your hand!

We are moving back up north for alot of reasons, one of them are the
FIRE ANTS. I am an a big gardener and I can't stand being out there anymore because of these pests!

You really need to think about this move if you are scared of bugs!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,487 times
Fla bugs? Yes, we have lots of them and they crawl around everywhere. Big ones too. Giant Florida Bugs.

HAHAHAHAHA

Old 11-05-2006, 07:48 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
You forgot the banana spiders -- as big as the palm of your hand!

And, what about the lizards? They absolutely love to live behind the refrigerator.

The best way to find out if you have bugs is to go into a dark room in the middle of the night and suddenly turn on a light. You'll see them all scurrying away!

I've also gotten used to the tree toads, except the one that lives on the molding above our front door, because he pees on me if the door slams.

But, other than that, the bugs aren't much worse here than anywhere else...

Old 11-05-2006, 08:16 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,635 times
If you have lizards, let them do their job. I would rather have lizards in my kitchens than another brown recluse bite. I had one two years ago and it just stopped hurting recently and looks like a shotgun wound. It felt like one for a while too.

The only ones to really inflict pain are the black widows, brown recluse and fire ants. Those palm sized fruit spiders will bite, but you don't need to go in the hospital over it. There are some others but many just look bad. The fire ants are about the only thing that's going to affect you halfway regularly.

I see a lot of little scorpions but they barely inflict pain, if that. The termites can eat your house, having good pest guys spray is a must.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,571,554 times
Talking You guys are too funny!

If I turned the light on at night and saw things scurrying around, I would freak out! I don't have lizards behind the fridge either. I do hate the hurricanes though. They are bad and you don't know which way one is going to go. I have proof of that here in Punta Gorda!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I don't mind the bugs, never have. It's the tax assessors and zoning inspectors that really bug me. And there's no Raid that's bureaucrat strength!

Old 11-06-2006, 03:40 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
What bugs? $70 every quarter and they come out and spray. Money well spent. Nothing scurries in my house. If I see an occasional bug it's legs up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida