Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times

Advertisements

How interesting....so the OP decided not to move because of bugs. Was it really that bad? Well, this is an old thread so I doubt she's still around. I can definitely relate to bug phobia....that and lizards. I can't believe I've made it this long with having to deal with the caliber of bugs that you'll find here. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,939,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
How are the mosquitos during the day this time of year? Are they around all the time, or mostly after dark?
Most counties participate in a bug spray program. You'll still have to deal with mosquitos but I don't believe it's excessive.

Mosquito Information Website - Mosquito Management - Florida Mosquito Control Districts

Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Bugs? What bugs?

Old 08-07-2012, 10:33 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latouR View Post
want to move to florida do they have coydogs like we do in the north country and wolfs they have attated our sheep and goats
No but we do have panthers, gators, coyotes, and bears. Oh, my!

Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Bugs? What bugs?

the love bugs I have seen cover our house---last year to be exact, but where did you find the chair with all those palmettos?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:40 AM

161 posts, read 412,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
the love bugs I have seen cover our house---last year to be exact, but where did you find the chair with all those palmettos?

Are those palmettos or just your average german cockroach?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post

Those are German Roaches... We lived in an Apt and our neighbors downstairs were hoarders.. like 6 people to a two bedroom apt.. We didnt' know until it was too late... they started JUMPING out of our light sockets. For months we tried to get rid of them having pest control come out several times a WEEK. The people downstairs refused to bomb or have treatment so it was a loosing battle. We became so infested so quickly they were actually in our tv, couch, my daughters crib and highchair.. I'm talking within a few weeks.. We packed just our clothes and moved out the following week. We didn't even take a cup or fork with us but we did hire a lawyer and take legal action. .. We lost everything in that apt and as far as I know its still not occupied and we moved out 3 months ago... We bought every belonging brand new .. That was the first time in 27 years I ever had a roach or any kind of bug issue in my house we are clean people. I hope its the last..

That pic btw was a basket I found on top of our shelves we used for decoration... here was my daughters highchair, we couldn't figure out where they were coming from on the chair.. we pulled off the seat and here it was..

So as far as bugs. umm yes we have them and if your neighbors aren't clean you will too!

Old 08-07-2012, 12:18 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Actually "Palmetto Bugs" as they are lovingly called are just American Cockroaches.

The best thing I've found to beat the intruders is a product called "Demon". You can get it at a Do-it-Yourself Pest Control place. You put one packet of Demon to a gallon of water and you spray it around the baseboards, in cabinets, around windows, doors, etc. He has a long lasting (3 months or so) residual quality. This stuff kills em dead. All of them. Ants too. Safe for pets, in the house, etc.
MUCH cheaper than having a guy in with the same product in his sprayer.

The mosquito problem is going to be rough this year since we've had so much rain and there is a lot of standing water in places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian11 View Post
Holycrap!

The bugs things is FREAKIN' REAL! Bugs are everywhere. We spend $80 on pest control because the darned cockroaches "dig" through the dry wall because the drywall is kinda moist due to high humidity. Our house is super clean... I am a neat freak, but the darned bugs get in somehow. Nasty!

Mosquitoes are bad too. After a hurricane (like Charlie, in 2004), we had the windows open and it was 100% humidity and 98 degrees for two days. Bugs get in through the screens sometimes. Not many but the last thing you need when you have no power, it is hot and miserable for two days, last thing you need are bugs! GRRRRR

You will LOVE the "Palmetto bugs" which are basically giant cockroaches that fly. Located: everywhere in FL.

My high school teacher, used to eat like a pig in class and our classroom (Dr Phillips High School - a nice, "upper class" HS) was full of roaches. Disgusting.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times
Yep. Good ole German Roaches. Those sons of guns reproduce at an amazing rate.

You bomb, spray, use napalm, they go back to their original quarters and wait you out and then come again. They always seem to want to go UP! They were a big problem in NYC, still are in fact.
I'd rather take on a Palmetto bug than a german roach any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Those are German Roaches... We lived in an Apt and our neighbors downstairs were hoarders.. like 6 people to a two bedroom apt.. We didnt' know until it was too late... they started JUMPING out of our light sockets. For months we tried to get rid of them having pest control come out several times a WEEK. The people downstairs refused to bomb or have treatment so it was a loosing battle. We became so infested so quickly they were actually in our tv, couch, my daughters crib and highchair.. I'm talking within a few weeks.. We packed just our clothes and moved out the following week. We didn't even take a cup or fork with us but we did hire a lawyer and take legal action. .. We lost everything in that apt and as far as I know its still not occupied and we moved out 3 months ago... We bought every belonging brand new .. That was the first time in 27 years I ever had a roach or any kind of bug issue in my house we are clean people. I hope its the last..

That pic btw was a basket I found on top of our shelves we used for decoration... here was my daughters highchair, we couldn't figure out where they were coming from on the chair.. we pulled off the seat and here it was..

So as far as bugs. umm yes we have them and if your neighbors aren't clean you will too!

Old 08-07-2012, 02:23 PM

37 posts, read 143,380 times
what bugs/critters should i be worried about in/around an oceanfront home?
we're considering getting an oceanfront home in ormond beach.

we're fr the midwest.. so i know there will be more bugs and we will hv pay exterminators monthly, but plse let me know what else we shud be concerned about

snakes in the toilet? really?
lizards?
spiders?
lots of mosquitoes in the summer by the ocean or no?
sand flies?

we'll be in ormond beach if we decide to move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida