Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:02 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitarose View Post
what bugs/critters should i be worried about in/around an oceanfront home?
we're considering getting an oceanfront home in ormond beach.

we're fr the midwest.. so i know there will be more bugs and we will hv pay exterminators monthly, but plse let me know what else we shud be concerned about

snakes in the toilet? really?
lizards?
spiders?
lots of mosquitoes in the summer by the ocean or no?
sand flies?

we'll be in ormond beach if we decide to move forward.
I've had frogs come up my toilet once.. Lizards are everywhere so are spiders.. Lots of mosquitoes are everywhere too... Sand fleas are on the beach and so are horse flies.. I live minutes to the beach and we have all the same bugs as the everglades with the same intensity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM

469 posts, read 913,300 times
I lived in No Florida for some time and visit quite often. North Florida is nothing but bugs and critters. Everything from turtles, deer, possum, squirls and a host of other things are road kill every morning. Never seen so much.

The "No See Ums" are the worst, along with the ants and yes its all year around. I think its far less in the Winter (If you can call it Winter) Only relief is when the wind is blowing or when its raining. But as soon as it stops, its like Noahs Arc unloading. Critters and bugs attempt to reclaim everything.

To be honest with you. Florida sux for 6 months out of the year. Best months are Nov-April, rest of the time is nothing but Heat, Humidity, bugs and roadkill.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've had frogs come up my toilet once.. Lizards are everywhere so are spiders.. Lots of mosquitoes are everywhere too... Sand fleas are on the beach and so are horse flies.. I live minutes to the beach and we have all the same bugs as the everglades with the same intensity
We had a frog in the bathroom once, too.....Scared me. People have had snakes in their toilets, too.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
Lots of mosquitoes... especially after heavy rains.

I have seen 4 black racers on my property in the two years I have lived in Florida.

Fleas were really bad this spring due to the dry and warm spring/winter.

Everything else I have no problem with. I spray my house and lawn.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
I met someone that got bitten on the back of her neck, by a bug, whilst in Florida. She got some kind of sleeping sickness and nearly died, actually the Hospital staff had pronounced her dead, but she came back. That was a shock for everyone concerned, especially her Husband, that had just been told he was too late, on arrival at the Hospital.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times
I always hated the Wolf Spiders that were abundant when I lived virtually anywhere in the state. The thing that got me the most about them was how smart they were, when you'd step forward, they'd go back, when you'd throw something at them, they'd jump out of the way.. the fact that they're as big as a softball is frightening to me, I could live with snakes before I could spiders..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida