Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times

Advertisements

Could you all please share some experiences and opinions about raising children in Florida? My husband and I have very young children and we're looking to relocate somewhere (maybe Fl or AZ, not so sure yet). Please, don't turn this into a contest, though. I want your own experiences and opinions...please don't turn it into a 'wrestling match'... thanks!

Just do me a favor, when you post, tell me where you live and how long you've lived there.

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 12,996 times
Default Here 18 years

I have been here 18 years. In and around Orlando area. Raising my own children over 4 years. I am not sure what would you like to know. All I can say is in this area, 20 minutes from Orlando, I pay weekly $125 for my 22 month old and 150 monthly for my pre-k boy before and after school care. I am sure insurance is expensive everywhere. At my job is around 130 a week for me and the kids(medical, vision and dental). Most schools are good. Sales tax here is 6.5%. This area still developing. I move in this town 8 years ago. Growing very fast. Depending what you like doing for entertainment you will find price ranges. From free library trips for story time, pay for parking at a national park for hikes, to all the Orlando theme parks. Hope this help some. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:49 PM

99 posts, read 353,080 times
We have 2 daughters, 11 & 16 months, & live in Pasco county. We will be relocating to PA because we feel this is not a state for children. My oldest has to be @ the bus stop in the morning @ 6:30am & it is pitch black. My husband drops her off @ a friends house so she doesn't have to walk by herself. The so called "grass" here is covered w/red ants & when they bite, it's like 10 @ a time biting. I feel they should have 4 seasons & experience everything my husband & I did when we were growing up in NY. For example: Snow, raking leaves & jumping in them, apple picking, just to name a few.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaluv View Post
We have 2 daughters, 11 & 16 months, & live in Pasco county. We will be relocating to PA because we feel this is not a state for children. My oldest has to be @ the bus stop in the morning @ 6:30am & it is pitch black. My husband drops her off @ a friends house so she doesn't have to walk by herself. The so called "grass" here is covered w/red ants & when they bite, it's like 10 @ a time biting. I feel they should have 4 seasons & experience everything my husband & I did when we were growing up in NY. For example: Snow, raking leaves & jumping in them, apple picking, just to name a few.
I agree 100%

Old 01-08-2008, 07:11 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,781 times
I agree about school starting way too early. My daughter, who is in high school, has to be at the bus stop at 6:20 am. Anything can happen to these kids when making them walk to the bus stop in pitch darkness.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:16 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,918,024 times
I am a native Floridian (have lived here 35 years). I have three girls 3, 10 & 15. Florida is a great place to raise children, in my opinion. They can go to the beach, go fishing or play sports any time of the year. Sarasota county is known for it's great schools.

I was born in Bradenton, lived as a kid on Longboat Key, in Sarasota, Little Gasparilla Island and Englewood. As an adult I lived in Port Charlotte & North Port. So I've pretty much lived everywhere on the west coast from Brandenton to Port Charlotte.

I have first hand experience with the local schools and now have children attending them. The prices (and rentals) of homes in North Port are fantastic and its a small town but close enough to Sarasota or Ft Myers if your looking for work or major stores. The beaches are about 25 minutes away. What more could you ask for?

Oh, and my kids start school at 9:15 but I have seen other schools in the area starting awfully early.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Florida is a great place to raise children, in my opinion. They can go to the beach, go fishing or play sports any time of the year. Sarasota county is known for it's great schools.
You can play sports year-round anywhere. I grew up on Long Island,NY and played year-round sports, whether it was indoors or outdoors. Made no difference. I actually liked playing indoor soccer better lol

Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 PM

195 posts, read 1,168,227 times
Thumbs up Thank U

Thanks everyone for both the pros and cons of raising children in Florida, I really do appreciate it. donnaluv, you spoke about the fours seasons and I've wondered about that as well. I want to do what's best for my kids and I just don't know what that is yet. I need to gather as much info, ie: facts, factual experiences and opinions as I can in order to make a good decision. We're not moving anytime soon, so we have the time we need to make an informed decision.

Again, thanks so much and donnaluv, good luck with your move to PA!! If you need any info on it, just let me know. FYI, the Lehigh Valley is a great place for families. I hope everything goes smooth for you!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
FL, like other places has its advantages and disadvantages. I have lived in Weston (Broward County) for 7 years. Before that I lived in Cortlandt Manor, NY (Westchester County). I have 3 sons they are 13, 11, 8 and are in 8th, 6th and 3rd grade.

Advantages:
Nice winter weather
Year round beachgoing
Ethnically and demographically diverse population
Lots of vacation destinations within driving distance
No income tax
Lots of restaurants
Can drive to ports for cruises (we love cruises!)
Jobs are plentiful
No shoveling snow
Year round outdoor activities for kids

Disadvantages
Summers are LONG AND HOT!
Schools are bad
Housing is expensive
Jobs don't pay well
Crowds of tourists mob restaurants all winter
Possibility of hurricanes

Last edited by Momma_bear; 01-08-2008 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: I wasn't done yet!!!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 PM

191 posts, read 601,942 times
I live in West Palm Beach, FL. I have been here for about 4 months now. I have a 4 yr old son who is in Pre-k, and he is in a pretty good school, A rated. The one he attends is good, but a majority of schools out here are pretty bad, especially when compared to others in the nation. It is a known statistic that florida schools perform in the bottom 50% of schools in the country. I am still not sure about raising my son here either, i came here to give it a shot. Im from Brooklyn, NY and also spent some years in NJ too, and i must say i think the schools out there are better overall. My son does love to run around in the yard though, but it gets soooo hot out here. I think that the 4 seasons might be a better experience for kids.. but then again i might be biased because i was raised that way. People born and raised in a tropical climate might not know any better because they were not raised that way. There are beautiful beaches, nice palm trees, diverse population, but that is skin deep. The jobs are not stable (i just lost mine), do not pay much at all, but then again every place has its ups and downs. Hope that helped a little
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida