Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:31 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times

Advertisements

No Surprise here folks.

Exactly why i'm leaving to go back home there.

Man. Not even anything south of MD!

The 10 Safest States for Kids (http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/parents/story/data/1204310432783.xml - broken link)

Conn. Tops Safest States For Kids List - Family News Story - WFSB Hartford (http://www.wfsb.com/family/15629805/detail.html?rss=hart&psp=news - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 03:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Rank Overall: 21

OK, so we are on the top 25 at least. It doesn't surprise me not to see us in the top 10, as I have always said the northeastern states are usually the best for children. Plus for all of the whining about sex offenders and how they are supposedly only active in Florida and nowhere else, we rank 33rd in the country according to your link.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:04 PM

177 posts, read 257,486 times
I am a Floridian now but Ct #1 Yeah Ct!

Must say I was surprised by Vermont! /grrrrr

Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM

436 posts, read 1,357,234 times
Yea but look at what they used for criteria....wearing bike helmets, etc. So ok, Florida isn't among the top ten, but I don't think that would cause me to jump ship.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Yea but look at what they used for criteria....wearing bike helmets, etc. So ok, Florida isn't among the top ten, but I don't think that would cause me to jump ship.
Did you read all the criteria???

Violence-Related Benchmarks
1. The violent crime rate per capita
2. The property crime rate per capita
3. The violence-related injury death rate for kids 0-12
4. The scope/strength of Megan's Law in the state
5. Laws pertaining to the requirement for a child-safety lock on handguns
6. Other gun laws to prevent a child from gaining access to a handgun in the home
7. The enactment of Jessica's Law or similar legislation
8. The number of registered sex offenders per capita
9. The use of electronic tracking for convicted, high-risk sex offenders

Other Benchmarks
1. The number of board-certified ER physicians per capita
2. The number of fire fighters per capita
3. The number of police officers per capita

These 12 are probably the most important of all the criteria. I mean come on, having enough public safety personnel per capita to me is one of the most basic quality of life categories there is in the U.S. in this day and age.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post

6. Other gun laws to prevent a child from gaining access to a handgun in the home

Other Benchmarks

These 12 are probably the most important of all the criteria. I mean come on, having enough public safety personnel per capita to me is one of the most basic quality of life categories there is in the U.S. in this day and age.

IS all about your community and your situation. We live in a small town and for the past 10 years we have enjoyed the area. Is not a perfect place, but no place in the great USA is perfect.

The public safety personnel is based in budgets so the small the town the less you will have. Great report, but look at the crime rates from Connecticut and they have problem just like we do. Just my humble opinion...

Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 PM

177 posts, read 257,486 times
I wasn't saying anything bad about any other state.I am just proud of Ct.I love Florida but I also love Ct.Kinda like having 2 children love both just for different reasons.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post

Other Benchmarks

Well I hope you have a successful move and enjoy your new home. I also hope your not trying to validate your decision to move by trying to sway others. I fear you will be dissapointed in the outcome.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Well I hope you have a successful move and enjoy your new home. I also hope your not trying to validate your decision to move by trying to sway others. I fear you will be dissapointed in the outcome.
Thank you for the well wishes on our move, but you don't have to hope for me not to try and sway others. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in the FL forums would not want to move to CT regardless. Why did most people come to FL anyway? I would think it was for sunshine, hot weather, beaches, theme parks, and at one time cheaper living.

Everything CT is NOT known for. But that is just fine with me because my wife and I grew up in CT and know whats it's all about. We want nothing less for our children.

Old 03-23-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
IS all about your community and your situation. We live in a small town and for the past 10 years we have enjoyed the area. Is not a perfect place, but no place in the great USA is perfect.

The public safety personnel is based in budgets so the small the town the less you will have. Great report, but look at the crime rates from Connecticut and they have problem just like we do. Just my humble opinion...
Aside from certain sections of Hartford, New Haven, Waterbury, New London, and Bridgeport I would venture to say that almost every other city in the state is below the national average for personal crime index.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: