Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM

153 posts, read 480,166 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Sarasota/Bradenton my whole life. I have 2 kids, 7 and 10... I think just like anywhere you just need to be careful and attentive. I think the elementary schools in my area (Parrish) are wonderful but some of the middle schools, not so great. There are some things I wish my kids had, like change of seasons, snow at Christmas, etc. but you take the good with the bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,465 times
I have three kids, ages 2 through 6. We are coming up on our one year move anniversary this month. Moved to Hernando county from Long Island - Yes, BIG culture shock. At first I thought we would die of boredom. But honestly, things have been great. There have been so much for my kids to do and enjoy. We purchased yearly theme park passes and can go whenever we get the urge. Just pack a lunch and the day costs us nothing for an entire day of fun and memories. We have been able to go to outdoor Christmas luminary displays where the kids toast marshmellows and visit with santa in comfortable weather (certainly couldn't do that on LI). We have gone swimming with the manatee's on Homosassa River. We actually had a bottle nose dolphin swim right by us one day. These are things that I never imagined doing before.

Yes, my kids miss playing in the snow, but really, it didn't snow all the time - maybe twice a year where they could actually play in it and enjoy it instead of if being just a light covering. It is hot here and the summer does seem to go on for ever and it seemed like if they were't swimming, they were inside - but you know what ? They spent just as much time inside during the winter months up north.

As far as the schools - I left one of the best school districts on LI. I dreaded the school system here. But my son has just blossomed in the school that he is in. My opinion, yes, you do need to try to get a decent school system for your child, but if you have a bright child who wants to learn, they will do well in whatever school they are in. If they are in the best or worst school around, you still need to put the time in at home no matter what.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,344,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I've had the good fortune to raise 4 children here in Martin County, Florida. I've been a resident since 1979 and getting close to retirement.

I live off the beaten path, on a ranchette, and have always been the "outdoors" type. My children's upbringing reflect this. They grew up enjoying dirt bikes and 4 wheelers, hunting, fishing, beach, surfing, diving/snorkeling, boating. They have been all over the state enjoying out-of-the-way places, the Springs (many), the Keys, Red Neck Riviera, everywhere what we call the "real Florida". I did not spend much time at Disney... maybe once or twice... and visited all the usual tourist places years ago when the kiddies were small.

Now that they are older their, lives are finding success in their chosen directions. Although only 2 have cut the umbilical cord.... the other two seem to be in the same mold. All my children have received a good education, and continue to seek additional educational opportunities via graduate classes or advanced degrees. My youngest is in a High School Baccalaureate program, which is difficult, but his older sister teaches physics, chemistry and math (free tutor) so help is never far away. My oldest son is a Marine, and very proud of him and his endeavors. He is stationed in NC at the moment while in school. (Marine Aviator). My middle son will be attending medical school this coming fall.

Of my 4 children my oldest (26 g) is a school teacher, then a (22 b) Marine (Marine Aviator), College (21 b) student (medical), and High School student
(16 b). It is by the grace of God we have all have had the opportunity to grow up here. I would never change or could have picked a better place for them to grow up. Since I'm an avid fisherman, Florida is a paradise for me. My wife and I will retire soon... and we will always keep our winter home here, upon retiring.

My children see themselves as Floridians and love where they live. Although they have traveled, seeing snow remains one of their greatest thrills... so having a second home in Tn is another blessing from God. I suspect they will always remain connected to where we still live... and hopefully be able to share stories about growing up, with their children. I can't wait for the grand kids!!
I think this is the best quote regarding kids in FL. Have them experience the snow and seasons elsewhere, and offer them loads of things to do. There are many FL kids who get into trouble (like everywhere) and they need to have outlets. FL is not the same living here as vacationing here. Remember that you will not be on the beach everyday, unless you are fortunate and wealthy enough to live on it. I'm not sure if this post is dead, but I had to comment.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default I just plain wouldn't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I think this is the best quote regarding kids in FL. Have them experience the snow and seasons elsewhere, and offer them loads of things to do. There are many FL kids who get into trouble (like everywhere) and they need to have outlets. FL is not the same living here as vacationing here. Remember that you will not be on the beach everyday, unless you are fortunate and wealthy enough to live on it. I'm not sure if this post is dead, but I had to comment.
I left here when I was 22 and single. If I am grateful for anything about living here, it is the fact that I don't have to raise my kids here. Well, my younger daughter posts here too and she can give her own opinion. My older daughter, who just moved here ftwo weeks for financial reasons and to be near us, just asked me at dinner tonight, "So when does it get cold around here?" "When hell freezes over" was my comment.

No, no, no, as a mother, I could not do it.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 AM

94 posts, read 234,692 times
I've lived in Hillsborough County for 21 years, about 20 minutes outside of Tampa. I have 2 young children and family out of state, so have been longing to move for many years now. My husband isn't so eager though, so we're still here, at least for now.

I have struggled with truly "loving" Florida almost the entire time I've been here mainly because of the weather. It is so hot for so long, and as everyone says, it's not just the heat - which I really don't mind - it's the humidity. For about 8 months of the year, you just want to cocoon in your house with the a/c on. It makes you feel lethargic and besides, if you do brave the outdoors, you're likely to walk into a cobweb, be attacked by ants, or God forbid, see a rattlesnake or water mocassin hanging around outside your house.

BUT, there are also many positives to Florida that can't be denied. December thru March, and sometimes a little earlier or later if your'e lucky, the weather is beautiful - blue skies, lower humidity, and everything is green - we don't have winter, but winter is very much like spring and fall in most other places. We have huge oak trees in our neighborhood that cool it off by at least 10 degrees in the summer, and it looks like the deep south you might see featured in a movie - really beautiful. St. Augustine, Mickey, Busch Gardens, the beach, and numerous small towns are within driving distance, and both professional and college sports abound if you enjoy going to games.

There is a segment of transplants, both from up north or of the non-English speaking (or refuse-to-speak-English) variety that are not friendly, extremely insulated and are contributing to major conjestion in the area. But you do have those long-time Floridians still around and you will never meet nicer people. And then some of the transplants and non-English speaking aren't actually so bad either if you're friendly to them (my husband is of the former variety and I thought he was rude at first).

Kids love it here. It can't be denied. I think adults care way more about 4 seasons than kids. As long as they have friends, like their school, and can be active and involved in things, plus have loving parents who don't spend all their time complaining about how much they hate where they live, kids will generally be fine anywhere. We adults are much more sensitive to weather and having seasonal activities, and I have to remind myself when I start getting negative about Florida that it's MY complaint, not my kids.

Taxes and insurance have gotten better this past year too. There is more competition now for affordable homeowners insurance, and if there is an upside to property values going down, so have our property taxes, and hence our mortgages - at least most people I talk to.

If you move here, I would advise buying a house with a pool. That's one thing I truly wish we had, and if we end up staying here indefinitely, we will likely put one in. I agree that would make summers much more bearable. If you can't live where you love, love where you live, right?

Just a few points from someone who you could say is still on the fence about Florida after 20-plus years!

Last edited by MelanieP; 01-18-2009 at 06:04 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
Here's the deal. If your really concerned about your childs environment when they are young and when you have the greatest influence with thier morals, ethics...ect, Stay away from the large metropolitan areas. Doesnt matter which state, these areas are full of crime, violence, Drugs....Drugs....Drugs, racial tensions..ect. I was born and raised in Memphis and was constantly surrounded with all that crap and was involved in it despite wonderful, caring and tough parents. We moved to East Tennessee to raise our 4 boys and have never regretted it. Sure every area has its pros and cons, but when it comes to your kids....Your kids come first!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA54 View Post
Here's the deal. If your really concerned about your childs environment when they are young and when you have the greatest influence with thier morals, ethics...ect, Stay away from the large metropolitan areas. Doesnt matter which state, these areas are full of crime, violence, Drugs....Drugs....Drugs, racial tensions..ect. I was born and raised in Memphis and was constantly surrounded with all that crap and was involved in it despite wonderful, caring and tough parents. We moved to East Tennessee to raise our 4 boys and have never regretted it. Sure every area has its pros and cons, but when it comes to your kids....Your kids come first!
I was raised in Florida, but I was raised in a very segregated part of Hillsborough County (and this was the 1990's) Living in Eastern Hillsborough, most of the kids that went to my school lived in the Lithia, Pinecrest, and Keysville areas, these areas were (as of the last time I lived there) about 96% white. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think kids should grow up in diverse areas so that they can learn different cultures and how the world works.

Florida isn't the same as it was 15-20 years ago. We (as kids) used to "go play" and stay gone all day until dinner. Kids can't do that today. I love my native state, but I agree about staying away from metropolitan cities when raising children. I wouldn't want to raise my child in Florida, I damn sure won't be raising my children in the Houston metro. I lived in Memphis for about a year while doing some construction work, I think Memphis is a lot more bark than bite, at least in my opinion. It's nothing compared to Detroit, St. Louis, or New Orleans. I lived in Nashville at the time and looking at the news from Nashville lately, I wouldn't want to raise my children there anymore either. It's sad really!

Old 12-07-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I left here when I was 22 and single. If I am grateful for anything about living here, it is the fact that I don't have to raise my kids here. Well, my younger daughter posts here too and she can give her own opinion. My older daughter, who just moved here ftwo weeks for financial reasons and to be near us, just asked me at dinner tonight, "So when does it get cold around here?" "When hell freezes over" was my comment.

No, no, no, as a mother, I could not do it.
I wanted to give you rep, but it wouldn't let me ?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I wanted to give you rep, but it wouldn't let me ?
Because she was booted from the site many moons ago, she came back under another name but doesn't post much in the Florida forums anymore for fear of having that new name booted also.
Too bad they don't let you give people negative reps anymore, she deserved many.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Because she was booted from the site many moons ago, she came back under another name but doesn't post much in the Florida forums anymore for fear of having that new name booted also.
Too bad they don't let you give people negative reps anymore, she deserved many.
Thanks for the Info.. I didn't know..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida