Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:28 AM

49 posts, read 212,539 times

Advertisements

We are strongly considering relocation to either Gainesville or Ocala. My FIL lives in Ocala, my DH has had family there forever (but always retired folks). We have two kids age 5 and 8. We are trying to decide between G'ville and Ocala.

Ocala: where are the best schools, best neighborhoods ? I have a really, REALLY hard time getting a feel for where kids are - I don't see too many when we visit, and I don't find alot of online resources for kids activities, etc. Can anyone tell me about young families and the way of life down there for kids ? What are the best schools (I can look up the scores, I want to know what people FEEL are the best schools).

Gainesville: same question - what are the best neighborhoods. We've already investigated Haile Plantation and a few others (Mentone, Brookfield). Where do you live and why do you like it ??

Thanks ! BTW, we are looking for a 4 BR, 2-3 BA home in a community with pool/recreation or in an area where there is recreation very close for the kids, and walkable or bikeable to schools, parks, stores. Price approx 250-300K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 AM

29 posts, read 88,439 times
Default Reply

Hello I Checked Out Ocala To Me The Schools Where Not The Best..i Went In Them To Check Them Out...private Mail Me I Can Give You More Details On That..you Might Want To Check Out Citrus Springs About 1/2 Hr From Ocala Much Better Schools Again I Checked Them Out Went In Them...i Have A House There THAT I OWN THAT Im Currently Renting ,if You Are Interested..ok Either Way Get Back To Me..

Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 PM

62 posts, read 348,597 times
I live in Haile and it very nice and safe.

When we moved here we also looked into Tioga but both are around $160 a ft.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:17 AM

25 posts, read 143,604 times
Default Best school system in Ocala

Being a Realtor, many customers will ask for Belleview because, supposedly they have the best school system in Ocala.

I don't have answers on where you can find a house in a community with a pool but I will do some research and get back to you. What about having your own pool? Would that work?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 AM

49 posts, read 212,539 times
Thank you, Charlotte, for a frank answer regarding a school name. I've spoken with various agents in the past year and everyone directs me to check school scores. I want to know from word-of-mouth how people feel about the schools ! It is SO frustrating. If you could let me know the names of developments/subdivisions in that school system with homes that meet my price range - I'd be much obliged. Any that you know to have more kids than others would be helpful also. A community pool is not necessary but a plus as it would give us another avenue to meet people nearby. But a home pool IS a necessary evil

Thanks so much. Keep the comments coming.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:13 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Please remember our rules no soliciting or advertising, DM member.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 AM

5 posts, read 15,283 times
We moved here from S. Florida and find the school systems to be much better. Our daughter went from struggling to being an honor student because of the difference in instructional methods.

We live out in Newberry which is just west of Gainesville and love the small town feel, the local Friday night football games, the friendly neighbors, etc.

Since I am a realtor I do hear lots of people talk about their schools. Like anywhere else there is quite a mix. Schools grades, in my humble opinion, aren't all that they are cracked up to be. Both parental and local involvement in the schools is what makes the difference. In my travels I have run across across a fairly decent "school grades" type website that allows parents and others to leave comments about their schools. I have found it useful on a number of occasions. It's called "schoolmatters". You can google it or just add the the dot com to the name.

Good luck!!!

Kerry

Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 PM

34 posts, read 132,072 times
Gainesville is very family friendly. Downside is real estate prices dont match up with the local job market. If you are coming in with money from a more expensive area it would be a good fit. We currently reside in Cobblefield but property taxes (extremely high) and housing prices in general have me considering moving out of the area to a less expensive city. NW of I75 is where the new constuction and nicer upscale neighborhoods are being bult up. Alachua and Newberry are also nice smaller towns close by that might be a little bit cheaper and have more rural feel to them. Very safe quiet area especially during the summer break when the 100,000 college students arent around

Old 03-04-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,404 times
Default G'ville/Ocala with children

I currnetly live in G'ville in the Cobblefield neighborhood which is just N of Haile. We looked into Haile but decided we didn't want to pay the hefty HOA's. In Cobblefield, we have a modest HOA which includes a community pool and playground. We also considered Brookfield and Mentone but decided we like the location of Cobblefield better as well as the quality of the homes. G'ville is a great small-ish city to raise kids in. There are many choices for education and tons of families here. We have really enjoyed attending the college events such as football, baseball, gymnastics, and the ladies basketball and v-ball games. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. Just an FYI, we are leaving the area this summer for a job relocation.
Lastly, we can ride our bikes to school, grocery store and library.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 PM

15 posts, read 48,432 times
Just wondering if you have move since you posted this in Jan 08. Do you like it and how's the school?
I'm now looking into gainesville and reading up in this forum on any info I come across. My husband has a job offer and that would require for us to move to Fl. Love where we are now and would hate to make a huge mistake and lose what we already have.
Hope your move went smoothe if you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida