Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 05:41 AM

641 posts, read 1,026,154 times

Advertisements

Might want to start with spelling Florida correctly

lol why do we get all the good ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:00 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,666,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Agreed...I thought the OP was joking...

Someone needs to post the Florida video again
That video is insidious as now every time some one asks about moving to FLA. that video starts playing in my head like a song you cant get rid of
Its warm and sunny all the time..

Old 08-31-2013, 05:04 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,774,090 times
lol, yesssss

Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,707,394 times
I don't know why people are suggesting Jacksonville, it has the highest murder rate in Florida! But there are of course good parts of the city that are safer.

Your question is very broad, it depends on what kind of people you are. Florida is a big state, it has a lot of different styles of living depending on location. If you want the big city life with the hustle and bustle, then you have Miami, Jacksonville like, Tampa, Sarasota, Orlando.... If you want a more laid back pace of life there are the Florida Keys, St. Augustine (where I live) Fernandina etc...

My personal recommendation is to check
out St. Augustine. I moved here from Jacksonville, it's a very laid back and historical city, very beautiful. It's got a lot of small town like feeling to it, it's also very touristy (but all of Florida is, don't move here if you don't like them) Crime is rare, it does exist like all places as every place has crime obviously, but violent crime is very low. There are no real "bad" neighborhoods, it's also a very clean city too. Lot's of museums and waterways and historical sites to see, plenty of great beaches too.

But keep in mind if you want to live on the island (Anastasia) you're going to have a hard time getting homeowners insurance.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:28 AM

910 posts, read 2,238,042 times
Funny video ! "Florida is warm and sunny all the time"....like that alone is going to put food in their mouths !

Old 09-02-2013, 05:48 AM

27,337 posts, read 44,603,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I don't know why people are suggesting Jacksonville, it has the highest murder rate in Florida! But there are of course good parts of the city that are safer.
Chances are probably really good that the OP and his family wouldn't be living in a Jacksonville ghetto and having to worry about that, especially since the recommendations were for St John's County or Nassau County for residency....which are a good 30 minutes from such areas.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,707,394 times
Also OP I think you should rethink a few of your requirements. Place that is less humid? No hurricanes? LOL This is Florida, a tropical state, humidity and hurricanes come with the package.

You get used to the humidity, it starts to feel pretty good actually, especially if you live by the ocean as the windy breeze feels awesome. We also know how to deal with hurricanes, we have different building codes here.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 AM

102 posts, read 187,155 times
Just go online and read the local newspaper where you are thinking of moving. It is a goddamn war zone in Florida right now. Crime is through the roof.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:48 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,922,518 times
That video made me laugh so hard it made me cry! I moved to SFL a number of years ago from the North for a JOB, but I was one of those "it - is - warm - and - sunny - all - the - time" people. For people with bad Seasonal Affectiveness disorder, you would do just about anything to get out of the snow and endless darkness. Everything else feels secondary at the time…

I am amazed at how many people I find on these boards though looking to move without really knowing much about the place they are seriously considering. It seems to me that nearly everyone with a desire to move to FL who does not have a specific job to move for, is looking for an escape from life. People love the idea of living permanently in the place they vacationed or honeymooned, thinking they can get that relaxed and in-love feeling all the time because of the place. The truth is, if you have problems, they come with you no matter where you go. If you are a stressful person, you'll be like that everywhere. If you have a bad relationship, sun doesn't fix it. Happiness starts inside, fixing what is bothering you. For most of these folks, just making a tropical ROOM in the house with large beach decals on the walls, a sun lamp, a fake palm tree, and a beach chair with a tropical drink in hand would be sufficient for their needs, for far less money. It's about taking regular time to relax and leave the problems behind. FL certainly can't help anyone's money problems, either!

Having said that, I found that I loved living in FL. The state did disappoint me to the point of making me cry, but it was not all bad. It was far more openly racist, and also more openly conservative (even in SFL) than any place I had lived before. The state is plagued by corruption and political problems, and as such has become a bit of a national laughingstock. The govt. is close to bankrupt, and this affects the schools and roads and even hospitals. BUT it is sunny - nearly - all - the - time. LOL Even when it rains, the sun is still out, except for tropical storms or hurricanes. There are many beautiful beaches, palms in SFL, and wildlife in places like the Everglades and in the ocean. It is hot, and humid - but I really like humidity, so that works for me. I find that there are an endless amount of things to do and see within a days' drive - parks, activities, festivals. I find that the heat in the summer (rainy season) is rather prohibitive to going out (unless you like pouring with sweat before you even reach your car) the same way that the winter in the North is somewhat prohibitive to going out - you will if you thrive on that. Being near the shore is better during those times. But the winter (dry season) is glorious, and gives you much opportunity to do whatever you want outside, with fewer mosquitoes.

I would not move to FL without independent wealth or a secured job. It is a large state, the culture and experience vary widely with the region and city. There is diverse and cosmopolitan, rich and full of celebrities, poor urban, poor country, and plenty of in-between. Families live in all of them, and most are surviving, but my experience is overall they have a lower standard of living than families in the NE experience, with lesser public education. I did well because I have a secure job, live a modest lifestyle, and really really like that sunshine! When I have a family it will be easy to supplement their education because I am in academics. I also have the ability to travel so I can get a change when I need it. Not everyone has these options. FL is not a paradise, or a utopia. It is a hot swamp with thousands of miles of beaches that has some good, and some bad.

The entire move to FL question can be answered like this:
Come prepared, stay.
Come unaware, run away!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,922,518 times
Specifically to the OP, things to keep in mind are that FL is flat, not mountainous like CA. This might affect you if you like to hike with your family. You didn't mention what specifically you like to do outside - if it's mostly watersports, living near the ocean is a better idea than living in the middle of the state. In the northern half especially, while hurricanes are a fact of life in FL, if a hurricane doesn't affect you, a tornado might - they are far more common up there because there is a lot of wide open space without many trees, a bit like the midwest. To me, tornadoes are worse because you don’t have days of warning to evacuate if you want to, but not everyone feels the same.

It is not clear from your post why in the world you want to move to FL – if you have no family or job to move for, don’t like humidity, and want to avoid hurricanes, FL seems like the opposite of what you want. If you want low crime, choosing a low-cost housing area is also the opposite of what you should do in FL. If you want a place that’s good for your kids, moving to a place where the public education system lags far behind so many states whose economies are doing better seems counterproductive. FL isn’t terrible for everyone – I just don’t see why it would be right for what you are looking for. What about looking at a list of “Top places to live California”? Maybe you would like a different town there better – one with decently low crime, not San Fran expensive, dry, no hurricanes, and with lots of things to do for kids outdoors, with better education? I’ve heard San Luis Obispo is pretty great…?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida