Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 41,420 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I'm a college guy in my early twenty's and I currently reside in Central Oregon. I've recently decided that I can't take it anymore; I'm done living in Oregon. It's a beautiful state but where I live there is absolutely nothing to do and very few people my age who aren't complete closed minded hippies; the weather is always super dry and dreary too. I'm sick of it all! I need a complete change of pace. I think Florida is my answer!

The few times I've been to Florida I've loved it. The warm beaches and ocean, the diversity, the sun. What's not to enjoy? So I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some ideas on a good place to move too. I'm working on my associates degree so I would need a good community college to begin with. I love the thought of living close to the ocean, lots of singles my age, lots of stuff to do, good night life, affordable, safe, culture and arts. I've heard great things about Gainsville being an awesome college town. Anything closer to the water? What about Jacksonville, or Tampa? Perhaps even Miami? I'm open to any suggestions or opinions. I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can start making a plan.
I'd really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thank You All Very Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,068,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmizer View Post
Hey Everyone, I'm a college guy in my early twenty's and I currently reside in Central Oregon. I've recently decided that I can't take it anymore; I'm done living in Oregon. It's a beautiful state but where I live there is absolutely nothing to do and very few people my age who aren't complete closed minded hippies; the weather is always super dry and dreary too. I'm sick of it all! I need a complete change of pace. I think Florida is my answer!

The few times I've been to Florida I've loved it. The warm beaches and ocean, the diversity, the sun. What's not to enjoy? So I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some ideas on a good place to move too. I'm working on my associates degree so I would need a good community college to begin with. I love the thought of living close to the ocean, lots of singles my age, lots of stuff to do, good night life, affordable, safe, culture and arts. I've heard great things about Gainsville being an awesome college town. Anything closer to the water? What about Jacksonville, or Tampa? Perhaps even Miami? I'm open to any suggestions or opinions. I'm just trying to get some ideas so I can start making a plan.

I am actually the reverse. I prefer Oregons weather to FL and the overall state to FL as well. Go to Tampa though if you have to move to FL.
I wouldn't go to cookie cutter ville and theres massive sprawl outside of Tampa. I'd say within city limits. I personally like how OR limits their sprawl. Closed minded hippies? Oxymoron there isn't it?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 PM

5 posts, read 41,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I am actually the reverse. I prefer Oregons weather to FL and the overall state to FL as well. Go to Tampa though if you have to move to FL.
I wouldn't go to cookie cutter ville and there's massive sprawl outside of Tampa. I'd say within city limits. I personally like how OR limits their sprawl. Closed minded hippies? Oxymoron there isn't it?
Right...

Well, thank you for the wonderful information. I'll keep that in mind. And yes, believe it or not, there are closed minded hippies. Especially in the Eugene area. Good people... but love nothing more than to impose their beliefs on you all the time. After a while it gets really repetitive and old. If that's your thing than so be it, perhaps Oregon would be a good fit; It sounds like you could use a change too. If that's the case I could point you in the right direction, but lets at-least do it in the Oregon forum to keep it separate from the Florida forum.

Last edited by cmizer; 11-09-2010 at 12:15 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,068,485 times
Quote:
Right...

Well, thank you for the wonderful information. I'll keep that in mind. And yes, believe it or not, there are closed minded hippies. Especially in the Eugene area. Good people... but love nothing more than to impose their beliefs on you all the time. After a while it gets really repetitive and old. If that's your thing than so be it, perhaps Oregon would be a good fit; It sounds like you could use a change too. If that's the case I could point you in the right direction, but lets at-least do it in the Oregon forum so the people who are asking for good advice on Florida don't have to be bothered by your pointlessness.

I have Portland on my radar. Everything I read about Eugene I didn't like a lot. Some say its going back in a time warp since the hippies there are mostly in their early 60s always living like its woodstock. I heard this kind of hippie is in Eugene vs the young ones.

Jobs I also realize are bad out there so I might move somewhere in the meantime where I can get a job, then with savings do Oregon.
St Pete FL is a city with hippies and stuff, but a real high homeless rate like Portland or maybe Eugene. Things getting overly expensive and jobs have dried up. Tampa I'd say is best or Orlando if you come to FL.

This here is a seperate thread so it should be ok.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:13 AM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:

We can probably help narrow it down for you more if we have a bit more info - will you need a job? What is your budget and will you buy or rent?

All that said, I am a Florida native and partial to the expanded Tampa Bay area on the Gulf side. There is a lot of variety in the area, with Tampa being more of an "urban" city, and St. Pete or Sarasota being beautiful beach cities with lots of arts.

Gainesville has a lot going for it, but it's a town pretty much centered around the college, is pretty expensive and of course far from any beaches. For a young college guy coming to the area, I recommend Tampa area, particularly south Tampa. We have a couple young guys on this forum who are really good at weighing in with the specifics on the area, I am sure they will be along soon.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,899,382 times
How Bizarre,I know a young college guy who's moving from south Florida to Central Oregon soon.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:

I have to laugh and ponder this for a minute. Your coming from the west coast and want to be in FL as a young single college guy?! Wow. I would think your first instinct is to look at California which is right beneath you and full of fun stuff to do! But their economy is worse than Florida's so I can understand why. But if you want to come to Florida I would definitely recommend coming to the West Palm Beach area. I LOVE the West Palm Metro Area (ex. Lakeworth, Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Wellington) because West Palm has the best of South FL culture without the traffic and crime of Fort Lauderdale and Miami. You have the best green scenery in FL with palm trees, clipped and landscaped lawns, and relatively clean streets. We have the cleanest public transportation system in ALL of FL which goes by the name of PalmTran. I love the PalmTran. We have the best weather in MY honest opinion. None of that extreme summer humidity like in Orlando and Miami. I mean, we get humidity, but less because we are nearer to the coast where the Atlantic Ocean has wind blow over to cool us off. If you aren't prejudiced, be prepared to be introduced to carribean culture. In the West Palm metro, we have Haitians, Jamaicans, Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto-Ricans, and etc. in ONE metro area. You will see them talking the language but not as bad as Miami where English is almost non-existent. In West Palm, we have families from the Islands start many different restaurants and bars. You will love and enjoy tasting the many different island foods and the people are lovely as well. That's been my experience in the West Palm area.

But anyway, to get back to the topic at hand, the two best community colleges I know of in the area is Palm Beach State College and Palm Beach Community College. PBCC is the more famous one of the two. It's pretty huge and very popular college to go to for most of the kids who grew up in the area. It's got great reviews on many websites. You should definitely check that one out. The university in the city is FAU (Florida Atlantic University) located in Boca Raton. A fully accredited college. It's not FSU but I heard it's pretty good and getting better every year. FAU has the distinction of being of the few universities in FL and the U.S. that is affordable to out-of-state students. Many many Northerners come here because of that. You will not be alone! FAU is attractive to many up in the North because they want to escape that brutal cold weather but without losing so much money in the long run. Overall it's a great college and it's my #1 choice college right now. As soon as I graduate, I wanted to come back home to FL and go there. I chose it over UCF in Orlando because of the weather, the beaches (Yes it's only 15 minutes away from gorgeous Boca Raton white sand beaches), my people are there (Haitians), close proximity to Miami and Fort Lauderdale to party on the weekends, and my family is all there so what better deal is there?! Well sorry for this long rant but I love West Palm Beach and I try to reccomend that metro area over any other because I had such a great time living and enjoying it! It wasn't perfect or anything but it was cool. Hope I could help!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

5,030 posts, read 7,233,666 times
Stick with Tampa Bay over the East Coast. Trust me.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM

17,541 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Stick with Tampa Bay over the East Coast. Trust me.
Totally agree ^^^.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Well I don't agree and I think the east coast is the better of his options. Tampa is boring and full of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida