Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,651 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Seattle and we are looking to move to Florida in the next 1-2 years for sunshine and a fresh start! I am a RN and he is a customer service rep, he also does tattoos on the side.
We are in our mid 20's and would like to live near a University so I can continue my education. We would also like to live somewhere close to Gulf Coast beaches if possible.
We are huge museum and movie buffs and need to live in a place that has many activities to do and a lot of things going on.
Our renting budget is $850 - 1100.
Right now we have a few places narrowed down and would love to hear what ya'all have to say about them.

Boca Raton
Ft Myers
Gainesville
Orlando
Sarasota
Tallahassee
Tampa
West Palm Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,219,310 times
Sarasota was once again rated #2 of the best 100 places to retire????? You can find everything you could possibly want...other than the ocean...2 sites for you to look at www.myflorida.com and www.stateofflorida.com both will give you valuable information that sooner or later you will need to find out...

Old 02-19-2013, 05:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajasaurus View Post
My husband and I currently live in Seattle and we are looking to move to Florida in the next 1-2 years for sunshine and a fresh start! I am a RN and he is a customer service rep, he also does tattoos on the side.
We are in our mid 20's and would like to live near a University so I can continue my education. We would also like to live somewhere close to Gulf Coast beaches if possible.
We are huge museum and movie buffs and need to live in a place that has many activities to do and a lot of things going on.
Our renting budget is $850 - 1100.
Right now we have a few places narrowed down and would love to hear what ya'all have to say about them.

Boca Raton
Ft Myers
Gainesville
Orlando
Sarasota
Tallahassee
Tampa
West Palm Beach
I'm not sure how St Petersburg evaded your list, but think it would be the best fit given your criteria. It's actually on the Gulf Coast, is arguably the best city for museums in the state, has a lot going on socially and in terms of recreation, has a fun/thriving downtown area and USF-St Pete for continuing education.

Surprising St Pete
About USFSP | University of South Florida St. Petersburg

Old 02-19-2013, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 10,817 times
Gainesville is a pretty nice place. Of course, the University of Florida is the best school in the state especially in terms of their medical school. There are lots of young couples and families here, a lot of the students decide to stay after graduation. The only thing that is not available here are the gulf beaches although St. Augustine beach is only a couple of hours away and there's great surfing there. I would definitely visit each place before making a decision.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not sure how St Petersburg evaded your list, but think it would be the best fit given your criteria. It's actually on the Gulf Coast, is arguably the best city for museums in the state, has a lot going on socially and in terms of recreation, has a fun/thriving downtown area and USF-St Pete for continuing education.

Surprising St Pete
About USFSP | University of South Florida St. Petersburg
Oh wow, I had no idea about St Petersburg! Not sure how I missed that doing my research. I will definitely include it on our visit next year.

Does anyone know of nice communities within our budget?

Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajasaurus View Post
Oh wow, I had no idea about St Petersburg! Not sure how I missed that doing my research. I will definitely include it on our visit next year.

Does anyone know of nice communities within our budget?
There are a number of nice communities with housing stock in that price range varying from small cottages and bungalows to apartments and condominium units. If you want to live in a traditional residential neighborhood some of the more hip, in-town neighborhoods are Kenwood (north of Central Avenue), Euclid-St Paul and Allendale/Five Points. You'll find some availability downtown as well though would urge you to look north of 4th Avenue South. St Pete Beach would be a good option for you also, as well as the artsy little town of Gulfport which borders on the SW side. There are also a good number of students living in the west end of Pinellas Point (extreme south end of St Pete) due to Eckerd College's presence there. For more traditional apartment communities check out the extreme Northeast side in the Gandy/Gateway neighborhood between I-275, Roosevelt Blvd. and Gandy Blvd.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,143,510 times
You have to realize that everyone will reccomend the city where they are from, So i think your better off making a florida round trip and visiting each city.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,153,717 times
Boca Raton -east coast not gulf
Ft Myers - too many murders going down ,not the best place
Gainesville- no comment
Orlando- central ,no beaches, tourists, the mouse, tourists, not much going for it
Sarasota- very nice if it fits your budget
Tallahassee- no comment
Tampa- nic e bits nasty bits prefer Sarasota
West Palm Beach- east coast , very nice ,very expensive

St Petes is also a good shout

Old 02-20-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
You have to realize that everyone will reccomend the city where they are from, So i think your better off making a florida round trip and visiting each city.
Not everyone, some like to actually recommend what's best for each person. I'm from South Florida (Hollywood) and live in Sanford currently. I have never lived in St Pete but have thought about it.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:04 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I agree with Kyle; St. Pete would be a good choice for the OP. I live in Sarasota and love it, but I love St. Pete also. I think either area could fill the bill.

OP, also look at Bradenton, a small city between Sarasota and St. Pete. More blue collar than Sarasota so less expensive, small waterfront downtown with a RiverWalk Park, hospital and lots of bars! A craft brewery coming, also. From Bradenton it is a fairly quick drive over the Skyway Bridge to downtown St. Pete or downtown Sarasota. Plenty of great beaches in this whole area. Tats no problem in any of these places, lots of tat places in the area.

Also several colleges including State College of FL in Bradenton, and USF in north Sarasota. The whole Gulf Coast area from St. Petersburg down through Sarasota is varied and beautiful, and you are bound to find something that fits in this region.

Definitely visit these areas in person to see how you feel about them in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida