Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

3 posts, read 10,105 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. What a great forum! Our family is preparing for a move to Palm Coast sometime within the next year, just waiting for God to open the doors and say when.

We have been traveling from the Tampa area to PC for the past several weekends, ministering at the Tomoka CC Palm Coast campus with our best friends who moved there the first of Aug. and are on staff with the church (they live in the R section). We love what we have seen thus far on our weekend trips, and the people of PC have made us feel very welcome. I grew up in a small town in southeast GA as a little girl and PC reminds me of the friendliness of the small town but without the backward attitudes.

I am anxious to meet other PC residents and hear everyone's input. Honestly, we are pretty nervous about such a big move. My husband has been here for 40 years and I've been here for 30. This is all our kids have ever known.

Our kids are ages 26, 21, 16, 14, and 12. The oldest two are married but both along with their wives are looking into the feasibility of moving to the Daytona area within the next year. Our other three are going to miss their friends here but are enthusiastic about the move.

Our 16YO son is a talented musician who has led our former church's youth worship band and vocalists for the past year. He currently leads a small group Bible study for teens during the week and aspires to a career as a worship leader.

Our 14YO son is a comedian/artist/bassist/video gamer who keeps us all laughing with his dry wit. He's an amazing kid, a little more introverted than the others but once you get to know him you see a completely different side.

Our 12YO daughter is a top-level ballet/tap/jazz/lyrical dancer who has also taught little ones as a dance assistant for the past three years. Obviously she wants to be a dance teacher when she grows up. Last week I spoke to someone at a dance studio in the Flagler area and am very pleased with the prospect of further exploring their program.

I am a freelance portrait and event photographer, and I do some writing and editing on occasion. Since we have been homeschooling in Florida for the past 20 years we are familiar with the applicable Florida laws. My husband has worked for Verizon for the past 9 years.

This is becoming an epic post, but I wanted to cover all the bases. We are open to any and all input, especially tips on moving into the area. As I mentioned, this is huge for us and we are pretty jittery about the whole thing. We're excited, though, and looking forward to the adventure.

Hugs,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:21 PM

Default Um...

I hate Pit-bulls?

Okay, not really, but I thought maybe that would get somebody to talk to me. The forum about Palm Coast where the pit-bull arguments were going on was pretty active. Can't blame a girl for trying, right?

Lisa

Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 AM

460 posts, read 2,344,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoartist View Post
I hate Pit-bulls?

Okay, not really, but I thought maybe that would get somebody to talk to me. The forum about Palm Coast where the pit-bull arguments were going on was pretty active. Can't blame a girl for trying, right?

Lisa
Hi Lisa! I am sorry I am just now popping back in here to check this thread! I dont have alot of posting time here anymore because we homeschool too and also every chnace we get we are out enjoying the beautiful sunshine here.
Please pm me if you want to reach me at anytime! I will be happy to answer any questions that you have!

Jen

Old 08-31-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Thanks!

I appreciate you popping in, Jen. Believe me, I understand about staying busy, especially with homeschooling. I'm teaching grades 7, 9, and 11 this year so I'll be hopping.

Thanks, too, for your openness about sharing info on PC. I will definitely be messaging you.

Hugs,
Lisa

Old 11-04-2007, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Just thought I would give an update since we moved here to Palm Coast.
We have been here for close to 2 months now and so far its wonderful!
I want to post this for anyone who is thinking about moving here.
We live in Seminole Woods and just love it because its not far from everyone but not too close either.
Our neighbors are so nice too, and the kids love it here!
I do understand what some people say about it not being a BIG city and how some things are spread out.
Palm Coast is NOT Orlando, but its not that small either. It has everything in it that we would ever want and its just a short drive to Daytona or St. Augustine for other things too like malls etc.
Its just a beautiful city that I am so proud to call home!
LOL, I almost dont want to tell anyone how great it is because to us its like a little paradise!
Flagler beach is awesome, and not as crowded as Daytona, and only 3 miles from our subdivision.

Anyway, so far, we love it here and so glad that we moved! If you are thinking about moving to Palm Coast, feel free to pm me anytime!

Jen
Jen,

I'm a Charlotte, NC native. However, I have been reading some of your posts. I am seriously considering moving to Palm Coast, but I don't know too much about the location. I have visited Palm Coast, and absolutely fell in love. Can you 1) give me an update of your opinion on Palm Coast 2) tell me about the area (i'm a city girl) and I don't know how "slow" it is in Palm Coast, if at all. Basically, any information you can provide will be useful. If there were any websites that were of assistance to you, I'd like to know that, too. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Regards,
Leigh

Old 11-04-2007, 02:30 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
out of curiosity, what would make you leave charlotte to move to palm coast? thx.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,147 times
Thank you for writing your update. My husband and I have been looking into the Palm Coast area as well.Hopefully, this will be our last winter in upstate ny.

nancy

Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 AM

6 posts, read 25,471 times
We left Palm Coast 2 1/2 years ago to relocate to central Kentucky for my husband's job. WORST mistake we have ever made! I knew it would be difficult, but I really miss Palm Coast! On the up side, we did sell our house that we owned for 2 years in Indian Trails for about $95k more than we bought it for. We could move back now and pay just a bit more for a similar home than what we paid for the house that we sold. However, with hind sight being 20/20, I would have stayed put in go ol' PC!!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:40 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjc View Post
We left Palm Coast 2 1/2 years ago to relocate to central Kentucky for my husband's job. WORST mistake we have ever made! I knew it would be difficult, but I really miss Palm Coast! On the up side, we did sell our house that we owned for 2 years in Indian Trails for about $95k more than we bought it for. We could move back now and pay just a bit more for a similar home than what we paid for the house that we sold. However, with hind sight being 20/20, I would have stayed put in go ol' PC!!
What are the taxes compare to FL?

Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoartist View Post
Hi, everyone. What a great forum! Our family is preparing for a move to Palm Coast sometime within the next year, just waiting for God to open the doors and say when.

We have been traveling from the Tampa area to PC for the past several weekends, ministering at the Tomoka CC Palm Coast campus with our best friends who moved there the first of Aug. and are on staff with the church (they live in the R section). We love what we have seen thus far on our weekend trips, and the people of PC have made us feel very welcome. I grew up in a small town in southeast GA as a little girl and PC reminds me of the friendliness of the small town but without the backward attitudes.

I am anxious to meet other PC residents and hear everyone's input. Honestly, we are pretty nervous about such a big move. My husband has been here for 40 years and I've been here for 30. This is all our kids have ever known.

Our kids are ages 26, 21, 16, 14, and 12. The oldest two are married but both along with their wives are looking into the feasibility of moving to the Daytona area within the next year. Our other three are going to miss their friends here but are enthusiastic about the move.

Our 16YO son is a talented musician who has led our former church's youth worship band and vocalists for the past year. He currently leads a small group Bible study for teens during the week and aspires to a career as a worship leader.

Our 14YO son is a comedian/artist/bassist/video gamer who keeps us all laughing with his dry wit. He's an amazing kid, a little more introverted than the others but once you get to know him you see a completely different side.

Our 12YO daughter is a top-level ballet/tap/jazz/lyrical dancer who has also taught little ones as a dance assistant for the past three years. Obviously she wants to be a dance teacher when she grows up. Last week I spoke to someone at a dance studio in the Flagler area and am very pleased with the prospect of further exploring their program.

I am a freelance portrait and event photographer, and I do some writing and editing on occasion. Since we have been homeschooling in Florida for the past 20 years we are familiar with the applicable Florida laws. My husband has worked for Verizon for the past 9 years.

This is becoming an epic post, but I wanted to cover all the bases. We are open to any and all input, especially tips on moving into the area. As I mentioned, this is huge for us and we are pretty jittery about the whole thing. We're excited, though, and looking forward to the adventure.

Hugs,
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I'm not that familiar with Palm Coast except the following:
We live in Jax, and my husband goes down there a lot for his job. Beautiful area. The drawback is only for boaters...very hard to get to ocean on boat...LONG RIDE. Otherwise, I think it appears to be a great place. Real reason for my response is that we have a friend who lives in Ormond Beach (just a little south) who is also an artist and author. She moved there from the midwest and loves it. She has been there 20+ years, and is highly involved in the arts (visual and performing). I believe one child was homeschooled, and one attended private school. She wouldn't leave that area for all the tea in China. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida