Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 02:36 PM

102 posts, read 555,355 times

Advertisements

What can a place do to you if you break a lease

We need to move out middle of september, company says in order to do so we need to pay them sepetmber, october and novembers rent in full or we have to buy out the whole lease.

Can they make us do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
If it's written in your lease which you signed, yes they can! One out may be to find someone to rent the place as soon as you move. Talk to your landlord/management company and see if this is feasible.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:50 PM

131 posts, read 184,166 times
they can say you forefit your deposit( depends on what's in the lease)they
can hold you responsable for all rents through your lease term ( once again , depends on your lease)or at least hold you responsable for the rent until they are able to get a new tenant.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:02 PM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
What provisions does your original lease state about breaking the lease?

here is some info: Renters' Rights, by Janet Logan, Esq., from Florida PIRG Info

Florida Landlord/Tenant Law Division of Consumer Services, DOACS (http://www.800helpfla.com/landlord_text.html - broken link)

and a little write up on a new bill dealing with early termination:

Early termination fees for renters approved (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/politics/content/state/epaper/2007/05/02/a6a_XGR_renters_0502.html - broken link)

I hope all works out for you guys!

Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
What can a place do to you if you break a lease

We need to move out middle of september, company says in order to do so we need to pay them sepetmber, october and novembers rent in full or we have to buy out the whole lease.

Can they make us do that?
Thats why they call it a lease.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM

wouldnt it cost them more to sue then they would get anyway?

But if they didnt Sue they would probably put it o nthe credit report

Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,074 times
IMO your best bet is to negotiate with them. They will probably let you advertise and find a replacement person. There is a law in New York that if you make a reasonable effort to find a subletter and the landlord rejects the person(s) you present to them, you can get out of the lease. I don't know what the law is in Florida. I would not take a chance by just blowing them off, it may come back to haunt you later.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:41 PM

3 posts, read 66,170 times
You are so right... I broke a lease by moving out 1 month early in 2002. I wrote a letter offering them to just keep my deposit, and I cleaned the apt squeeky clean and just moved out. I never heard a thing.... Until 4 years (and 3 residences later) when I moved from Florida to Portland, Oregon and tried to get into an apt there close to my new job. Well, surprize, surprize...They did a complete background check and bam! It came back to haunt me. They called me and said, "Did you know you owe property debt?" I had no idea since the collection agency where it wound up never made attempts to collect the debt (they, too knew that one day I would get snagged on it). And the property changed ownership twice in the interim. To make a long story shorter, I was unsuccessful in finding a decent place in that area, and lost that job over it (needed to live in close proximity), and I ended up coming back to Florida, begging old landlords to rent to me again (those that knew I paid my rent and wouldn't check my credit again). Boy, oh boy- That property debt popping up on your credit report looks real bad!

Last edited by danateddy1; 08-14-2007 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: unrecognized wording.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,820 times
did you put down first, last and security? if so, some landlords let you forfeit your security deposit to use as a month's rent. If you can't get out of the lease free and clear you will probably only have to come up with November rent as you have the funds to pay for Sept and Oct.

Not the best, but may be the only thing you can do in a situation like this.
Are you moving out of the area?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Now they only required first and Security Deposit when we moved in

We would be leaving mid September and they want, September, October and Novembers rent plus the security deposit.

Yes we are moving back to Maine, we havent had much luck here in Florida with anything.

I wish i could contact the property owner maybe they would be a little better about it more than the property management company is. As We just cant afford it, neither one of us have jobs. The Adoption subsidy we was getting in Maine, they just told us unless me moved back to maine we would no longer receive it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida