Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post
thing is i cant afford to pay more than one months rent. neither one of us are workintg, have applied multiple places, we have my disability money and had adoption money but thats gone so we down to 555 per month
There's always a solution. If you can't pay it all up front, you'll work out a payment agreement and mail in the payments from Maine over the next few months of you have to.

Like the poster above said - investigate that lease if you haven't done so already - read the fine print and see what you're dealing with.

Contact the property manager, tell them this is inevitable but you want to exit cleanly and fairly and you need to get the process rolling, you plan to leave Florida in just a few weeks.

I assume you are going back to family in Maine and they're assisting you with the relocation costs? Maybe they can assist with any associated lease-breaking costs as well. It's painful to think that you may have to pay additional money on a place you no longer live in, but your credit score will loom larger in your life and you need to keep it as intact as you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 04:27 PM

156 posts, read 946,925 times
Many years ago I left a somewhat cheaper apartment, 6 months early on a year lease, they sent me a couple letters that looked very unofficial so I ignored them and shortly after my paychecks were being garnished and my credit was messed up for a long time. I would do whatever you can to leave on good terms.
good luck

Old 08-15-2007, 04:48 PM

102 posts, read 555,335 times
We are trying to work with them, but the guy is being a prick. They have a lease breaking department in there office. So im asumming we arent the only ones to do this, and i know its his job to get as much from us as they can.

He even told us we could pay rent until they find someone else to rent it but that would be 6-8 months due to the poor market right now. He seems dead set on not wanting to deal with us, and is pretty much stickign to his guns pay 3 months and security deposit or pay it all. He told us to call back today, but he isnt in his office today. This is the 4th time we have made an attempt totalk to him but has been out of his office everytime for the day.

Im thinking of sending a letter stating the day we are moving out and what we can do. Without going bankrupt.

Its nothing against this house or them its just we cant be here no more, we love it here but its not for us anymore. Back in Maine we have job offers waiting and a house.

Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris22 View Post

Im thinking of sending a letter stating the day we are moving out and what we can do. Without going bankrupt.
This sounds like a good idea.

If they are looking for 3 months and security, offer them September & security and see if they go for that. If they want more, you can offer October in payments over 4 months, or something to that effect.

I'd add to be careful with the wording of your letter, be as brief and vague as possible and point out that you appreciate the opportunity to work something out and this is what you're able to do.

Maybe even before sending the letter, I'd just show up at his office unannounced and see if he'll talk to you in person.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,367 times
Moved here 5 mo. ago from nh. we liked the complex we moved to on west side but did not know area. now it has gotten to where we are scared to go out of apt. is there a legal way to break our lease.the manager was fired & she was one of the reasons we moved here.Alot of empty apts. now. Seems they are letting anyone in now to fill apts.please help!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,682 times
i have no lease month to month if i leave with no notice can landlord keep my deposit?

Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Ask in the Renting forum.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

11 posts, read 65,357 times
sub it out to homeless people, write it off as charity.

Go on graigslist there always a single mom looking for cheap place for a few months.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 885 times
What if an updated lease cannot be found ?the original lease was signed 10-11-11 to 10-11-12. there was a new lease signed but it is not locatable what happends now if i want to move out?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1821 View Post
What if an updated lease cannot be found ?the original lease was signed 10-11-11 to 10-11-12. there was a new lease signed but it is not locatable what happends now if i want to move out?
Ask your landlord for a copy.
That shouldn't be a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida