Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:48 PM
~|~ ~|~ started this thread

29 posts, read 34,125 times

Advertisements

Good evening everyone. I will be posting this question in 3 states, but Florida is our prime target.

Wife and I are looking for a retirement type of community where everything is self contained. We are thinking along the lines of The Villages, which we have only seen a video of. We want to be able to golf cart to everything and have lots of places to eat and enjoy. Where in Florida can we find something like this and what would be the price range?

Any feedback on The Villages would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 08:08 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,576,501 times
The Villages is about the only place I know of like this. You need to visit it and see for yourself. It is not for everyone, but it sounds like you would like it. You have hundreds of stores, etc, totally assessable by golf cart.

We have a place a few miles south of there. We enjoy going up there to walk around the squares, see all the fancy golf carts, singing and dancing, and going out to eat there.

They have their own forum called talk of the villages. You can google it.

Good luck in your quest......!

Frank

Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,270,343 times
There is also Tradition in Port St Lucie. I live there as well. It is not a "retirement" community by any means, but has people of all ages. We do, however, have lot of shopping, Publix grocery store, monthly events, 7 different communities to choose from, right off of I95 and close to everything. I love living here. Lawn maintenance, basic cable, and Internet are included in the HOA fees. Very safe and lots of fun. Might fit what you are looking for as well.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,063,003 times
The Villages is it. I love it there. Everything, and I mean everything is there and you can do it all by golf cart. They even have a separate road network for golf carts.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
The Villages is it. I love it there. Everything, and I mean everything is there and you can do it all by golf cart. They even have a separate road network for golf carts.
Correct. The OP stated they want to get everywhere by golf cart. The only place I know of that you can go to hospitals, Dr's offices, eateries, recreational stuff, hundreds of stores, etc,etc is The Villages. Many folks there do not even OWN a car, but get by just fine with golf carts.
As said before it is not for everyone, but it is an amazing, one of a kind place.

Frank

Old 06-19-2010, 06:16 AM

I should also mention we want single family living. We do not want a condo.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM

They have both there.......the Villages is approaching 100k people.

Frank

Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

Lilybeans,

What is the realistic housing pricing for resale and possibly new, HOA fees and age requirements?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
They have both there.......the Villages is approaching 100k people.

Frank
Holy smokes. I had no idea there was that many people there.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Correct. The OP stated they want to get everywhere by golf cart. The only place I know of that you can go to hospitals, Dr's offices, eateries, recreational stuff, hundreds of stores, etc,etc is The Villages. Many folks there do not even OWN a car, but get by just fine with golf carts.
As said before it is not for everyone, but it is an amazing, one of a kind place.

Frank
Not needing a car would be ideal. We will keep one just in case, but it would be nice to never use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida