Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 06:28 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
Why? The California desert is hotter than Flagstaff, hosts some of the worst air pollution in the U.S., is crazy crowded just about everywhere, AND you have to pay California taxes... how would the California desert win anything beyond the "best place to drive through and never dwell" award?
I don't have to pay CA taxes. Plus it's closer to LA, where I must go for meetings with film producers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 PM

435 posts, read 453,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I don't have to pay CA taxes.
How is it that you don't have to pay California taxes while living (and working as a screenwriter) in California?

Old 11-11-2019, 02:50 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ashbury View Post
How is it that you don't have to pay California taxes while living (and working as a screenwriter) in California?
*Magic*

Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 AM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
You can notice Flagstaff is changing when local restaurants close permanently. Granny's Closet, Galaxy Diner and a few other places I'm probably missing. When those are demolished, 4 story and taller luxury apartments replace the vacant lots. The unique local culture slowly goes away.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:52 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Currently in Flagstaff.......will be here for just a day. Pretty city, looks nice and clean but seems very crowded.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
You can notice Flagstaff is changing when local restaurants close permanently. Granny's Closet, Galaxy Diner and a few other places I'm probably missing. When those are demolished, 4 story and taller luxury apartments replace the vacant lots. The unique local culture slowly goes away.
Heck, didn't realize that Galaxy Diner had closed. Haven't been there in quite a while, though. When did it shut down?

Old 01-11-2020, 02:35 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,894 times
Bellingham, my home town, has the same demographics: WWU, natural beauty and an influx of wealthy home buyers pushing up the median cost to $451,808 through last November. The university hasn’t built new dorms for decades and has recently started building a dorm after knocking down another. The private sector had to fill the student housing gap so now there are 5&6 story apartment buildings being erected plus the rental management companies are buying up neighboring homes.

My town doesn’t look the same and it isn’t the trajectory I would have chosen. We live on rural acreage and combine our town trips mid-morning to avoid the traffic. It seems like we are putting off appointments and errands just to avoid the city.

Median household income for Bellingham in 2919 was $47,886. There are 4 refineries, WWU, a hospital, and an aluminum smelter within a 50 mile radius. Other than a few small manufacturing businesses the remainder of the jobs are clerical, retail sales and other service-sector jobs.

We have grey overcast drizzly weather from mid-October into mid-April but that doesn’t seem to deter those determined to move here. We do escape to the lesser populated parts of the west for about 3-4 months annually so don’t have to think about the decline in livability, at least to us. But, when we return from a 6-7 week camping trip, another mid-rise is being built.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 01-11-2020 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Coarity

Old 01-11-2020, 02:48 PM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Bellingham, my home town, has the same demographics: WWU, natural beauty and an influx of wealthy home buyers pushing up the median cost to $451,808 through last November. The university hasn’t built new dorms for decades and has recently started building a dorm after knocking down another. The private sector had to fill the student housing gap so now there are 5&6 story apartment buildings being erected plus the rental management companies are buying up neighboring homes.

My town doesn’t look the same and it isn’t the trajectory I would have chosen. We live on rural acreage and combine our town trips mid-morning to avoid the traffic. It seems like we are putting off appointments and errands just to avoid the city.

Median household income for Bellingham in 2919 was $47,886. There are 4 refineries, WWU, a hospital, and an aluminum smelter within a 50 mile radius. Other than a few small manufacturing businesses the remainder of the jobs are clerical, retail sales and other service-sector jobs.

We have grey overcast drizzly weather from mid-October into mid-April but that doesn’t seem to deter those determined to move here. We do escape to the lesser populated parts of the west for about 3-4 months annually so don’t have to think about the decline in livability, at least to us. But, when we return from a 6-7 week camping trip, another mid-rise is being built.
People will put up with grey skies or any other kind of deterring weather if they really want to live in a certain place. Grey skies and drizzle aren't going to keep people out of the Pacific Northwest, especially if the persons who are moving like the scenery. I once lived in the PNW (in Everett). I would like to be back there again, but the cost of living is too much. Drizzle and grey skies aren't going to keep me away. I actually like hiking in such weather.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:18 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,627,644 times
Flagstaff's Galaxy Diner closes doors | News | jackcentral.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Heck, didn't realize that Galaxy Diner had closed. Haven't been there in quite a while, though. When did it shut down?
Aug 2nd 2019

Old 01-11-2020, 05:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
The new(ish) student housing complex recently opened right across from the old Galaxy Diner. Despite that, I think there's still more in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona