Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:01 PM

78 posts, read 285,771 times

Advertisements

Hello All

I received a job offer from Walmart and moving soon like next month ( maybe u get a lot of these kinda posts).

I am from Phoenix, so it will be a big change for me.

I just need couple of suggestions from all you folks out there.

1.How is the airport ? I will have to travel on weekends back to PHX, so need to know about flights and all. I cant find a direct flight.

2. Is it advisable to stay outside of bentoville towards the border of Okhlahoma ?
I got direct flights from Tulsa.

3. How is the crime rate ?

4. What are the best places to rent in or near Bentonville. By this I mean, cars not stolen in that area, safe even at nights to step out sometimes.

5. Also how is the weather ?

Thanks a lot in advance for posting me back.

Last edited by novsaggi; 12-22-2009 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 02:08 PM

529 posts, read 1,652,985 times
Quote:
1.How is the airport ? I will have to travel on weekends back to PHX, so need to know about flights and all. I cant find a direct flight.
XNA is actually a great airport and the flights out of it are usually just as good as Tulsa. Only problem is that it doesn't have Southwest which is probably how you're getting direct flights out of Tulsa.

Quote:
2. Is it advisable to stay outside of bentoville towards the border of Okhlahoma ?
I got direct flights from Tulsa.
This depends on if you want to live outside of town or not. Bentonville is already not very big. There's not much along the Oklahoma border. One thing to consider is that Tulsa is a 1.5 hour from just about anywhere in NWA. Most layovers at DFW which is probably where you'd change flights at are less than 1.5 hours. Of course you may just hate having to change flights period.

Unless you're

Quote:
3. How is the crime rate ?
There is very little to no crime in Bentonville.

Quote:
4. What are the best places to rent in or near Bentonville. By this I mean, cars not stolen in that area, safe even at nights to step out sometimes.
There are a few large apartment complexes that look very nice. The Parc, the Ranch at Pinnacle, Stone Manor, etc. You could probably find a decent house to rent. You don't have to worry about your car being stolen here. It will get broken into at the Tulsa airport lot before anything happens in Bentonville.

Quote:
5. Also how is the weather ?
You're in for a big culture shock and weather shock coming from Phoenix. One of my best friends wife moved here from Phoenix and she absolutely loves it here. However, she is not used to the weather yet and she has been here for 3 years now. It can get very cold sometimes and the heat here is humid not dry like Phoenix. The weather also likes to change a lot. It can be in the upper 60s one day and drop to the lower 20s within a few hours. The weather and the amount of greenery will be the biggest shock to you.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Thank you very much for helping me in this.
I moved from Philly to PHX sometime back, and yes I missed the frequent weather change in PHL
PHX has its own western charm

Just one more question
How are snow storms if any ? I usually dont like to clean snow , and I am out of practice on that one.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novsaggi View Post
I moved from Philly to PHX sometime back, and yes I missed the frequent weather change in PHL

Just one more question
How are snow storms if any ? I usually dont like to clean snow , and I am out of practice on that one.
There might be one a year but usually they are every 5 years or so. Also they are not snow storms unless you consider 5" of snow a storm. Others will talk about the ice storm we had in February but that rarely happens as well. You honestly should be more worried about the hot, humid summers over the cold winters.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,918,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novsaggi View Post

Just one more question
Hi and welcome to AR,

Yes, this will be quite a cultural shock to you, but believe me, a pleasant one. NWA is a little different than some parts of the state...The biggest problem you may find is the airport situation. XNA is a great little airport, but yes, you will need to make connections to most places.

Can you live closer the the OK border? Yes, again, you will be in the rural part of the state, is that what you want? Moving west to be closer to Tulsa really won't save that much time. YOu would be better off using XNA and connecting in Dallas.

You can live almost anywehre in the Bentonville area and not worry about crime. Compared to Philly and Phoenix you will feel totally safe and your car will thank you. Depending on your age and interests you may want to consider living in Fayetteville and commuting to Bentonville. It is about 1/2 hour or so, depending on where you live in Fayetteville. If you do want to locate in Bentonville there are a lot of nice apartments. Will you be renting or buying?

Wow, weather, snow storms, etc..Again, you should be very happy with our climate. The summers will be more humid than Phoenix of course but the temps lower and the humidity will not be any higher, if as high as Philly. We get about 2 or 3 snowstorms a year, rarely bad enough to think much about snow shoverling..It usually melts pretty quickly. We do get an occassional ice storm that will hold on like we got last year..

Hope this helps you a little.

Nita

Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,930,284 times
Frankly, there is little reason to live west of Bentonville. It will not appreciably shorten your drive to Tulsa even if you decide to fly out of Tulsa regularly. The main connection between Northwest Arkansas and Tulsa is Hwy 412 to the OK turnpike, and is accessed south of Benton County. Living west of Bentonville you could drive south on windy two-lane highways, or living in Bentonville you could drive south on relatively straight 4-lane Hwy 540, and it's going to take you roughly the same amount of time either way. Alternatively, you could drive North and gain access to the turnpike into Tulsa from Missouri, but you won't save any time traveling that way, either.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:03 PM

602 posts, read 1,518,475 times
One thing to note regarding XNA, it is one of the most expensive airports to fly in and out of (Charleston, SC being another--just my luck!!).

May I recommend a great fare watcher site?: airfarewatchdog.com. Another site I use is itasoftware.com (sign in as a guest). You might try checking airfares from Springfield, MO and the new Branson, MO airport. Occasionally, I get a good fare out of Ft. Smith, AR.

Interestingly, Tulsa airport pretty much shuts down by 7 pm. XNA has flights arriving until 11 pm.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM

What part of Bentonville will you suggest to stay ? I just need to be near shops n facilities

I will be travelling on weekends back to PHX and I am only staying in bentonville for 6 months.

Also, how much will be the cost of utilities as in PHX, it is high (water n electricity both) ?

Thanks in advance for all your input

Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,365,139 times
I bet water bills will be much lower here, being that we actually have water.

My water/trash bill just a little south of Bentonville is usually around $60 a month.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGreatEscape View Post
One thing to note regarding XNA, it is one of the most expensive airports to fly in and out of (Charleston, SC being another--just my luck!!).

May I recommend a great fare watcher site?: airfarewatchdog.com. Another site I use is itasoftware.com (sign in as a guest). You might try checking airfares from Springfield, MO and the new Branson, MO airport. Occasionally, I get a good fare out of Ft. Smith, AR.

Interestingly, Tulsa airport pretty much shuts down by 7 pm. XNA has flights arriving until 11 pm.
I don't think this is necessarily the case anymore. Prices on the last few flights I've taken from XNA were very close or cheaper than Tulsa which is where I used to always fly out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers