Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsmom View Post
no they are not. And I would love to see the source of these scores bc it simply isn't true. One thing I can point to is in K, there was no reading or math testing all the kids were in one group and spent most of their time doing these centers that any preschool child should be able to do. Most kids could barely read and my son has been reading since he was four and was bored out of his mind. There was never an attempt made to give him more difficult work-in fact he was given busy work so the rest of the class could catch up. It was him and four or so other kids. Any descent school at the very least has various levels of reading and math groups to expect all kids to be at one level is ridiculous. My second child is 4 and reading so no way would I subject him to the same crap. I am from Europe and have lived all over the U.S. too but the emphasis on sports over academics in the south is horrid.
We're aware of your opinion, but it's factually incorrect. I've included a link to Education Week's rankings, which ranked Arkansas 10th (as I mentioned earlier and you ignored to pick on DC at the ridge's comment) and a link to their methodology: Education Week: Methodology
I don't have full access to the article however, but it seems that the sources were verified.

As far as data on the individual schools goes- anyone here should feel free to compare the schools in Northwest Arkansas to anywhere using GreatSchools. They have parent reviews, but they also have more objective information like test scores, spending per student, proficiency and end of course results, and any awards. Bentonville High School was a Blue Ribbon school, which does literally make it one of the best in the nation. Bentonville High School - Bentonville, Arkansas - AR - School overview

Once again, I'm very sorry you had a negative experience, but it is not the norm, and the factual data proves that. For what it's worth, I agree with your feelings about the amount of attention and money given to public school sports, but that doesn't always mean sacrificing academics, luckily. Read my last post, read the sources, and we'll put this to rest. You had a bad experience. This is regrettable and I'm truly sorry to hear that. However, stastical data, rankings, and awards prove that the schools aren't as "terrible" as you're so diligently trying to claim they are.

Quote:
Most easterners, even the stupid ones, look down on the South. That's just the way it is.
That's true, and it's incredibly annoying since it's apparently based on decades (in some cases, centuries) old stereotypes from when Arkansas was the "wild and wooly" west with few laws and fewer public services. Anyone who has visited the state in the last twenty years knows we've long since adopted shoes, laws, and even schools! (But yes, some people refuse to give up their pickups. I never saw the big appeal, but I suppose I'm not living up to my stereotypes )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM

119 posts, read 346,101 times
Quote:
no they are not. And I would love to see the source of these scores bc it simply isn't true. One thing I can point to is in K, there was no reading or math testing all the kids were in one group and spent most of their time doing these centers that any preschool child should be able to do. Most kids could barely read and my son has been reading since he was four and was bored out of his mind. There was never an attempt made to give him more difficult work-in fact he was given busy work so the rest of the class could catch up. It was him and four or so other kids. Any descent school at the very least has various levels of reading and math groups to expect all kids to be at one level is ridiculous. My second child is 4 and reading so no way would I subject him to the same crap. I am from Europe and have lived all over the U.S. too but the emphasis on sports over academics in the south is horrid.
Your single, anecdotal negative experience doesn't trump the objective data that you've been presented with, and have chosen to ignore. Perhaps your power reading, ubermensch Euro children will one day exceed you in this regard.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:49 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,731 times
Public education in the US is for all. Hypothetically, that means a mix of socio-eco levels, "smartness", etc. in each classroom.

Public education aims at the middle. Personally, I don't like that the kids on the bottom and the kids on the top appear to get overlooked. But teachers are forced to teach to the "majority."

Way back in the stone age, I graduated from Fayetteville High. Even back then the school was offering classes that other schools around the state were not offering (specifically, Latin). While I stayed put to attend college, many of my classmates went off to big name schools including a couple who did go to IV's. My sibling went to a prestigious university after graduating from FHS.

Currently, my older child who graduated from FHS is attending a Big Ten school. Sure, some times during her public education career we did get frustrated. As a parent it was/is my job to be an advocate for my children. When my older child was bored in her 1st grade reading class, her teacher and I both fought for something more challenging. She ended up being placed in a 2nd grade reading class.

All this to say, if you're not impressed with the education your child is receiving, do something about it. Our family did supplementary and complementary work outside of school. We'd travel, explore, music lessons and yes, play sports.

Over the years, I had many parent/teacher conferences and even a few meetings with principals. Parents are an integral part in their children's educations--something many parents have seemed to have forgotten.

JM2¢

Old 06-05-2010, 10:31 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
Stop complaining and take action!!! Put your kid in the Trinity Prep School or Horace Mann School in New York.

Bill Clinton went to Hot Springs public schools, and became more successful than the eastern elites you love so much.

Just because you go to a fancy school doesn't mean your smart, and vice versa.

Also, it would not hurt your kid to be involved in sports.
Quote:

Old 06-05-2010, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Stop complaining and take action!!! Put your kid in the Trinity Prep School or Horace Mann School in New York.

Bill Clinton went to Hot Springs public schools, and became more successful than the eastern elites you love so much.

Just because you go to a fancy school doesn't mean your smart, and vice versa.

Also, it would not hurt your kid to be involved in sports.
Great post. I am certainly not a Clinton supporter as most know, but yes, he went through public schools, came from a working class family (oh no, should not mention that on here cause she thinks everyone in AR is working class) and look what he did with his life....

As for sports, since when should kids not be outside playing, learning how to win and lose, learn to compete and not depend on the computer 24/7? There is more to life than being number one in your class.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers