Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 02:31 PM

62 posts, read 152,070 times

Advertisements

Hi! We're applying to jobs in a number of locations and Fayetteville is one of them. I grew up in Mtn. Home so I'm familiar with Fayetteville some (positive vibes!), but my one question I have to ask about everywhere we look at is the bookstores. Are there good ones? I mean real bookstores, not just the specialized Christian store on the corner or the video store that occasionally sells something with pages. Independent bookstores? Barnes and Noble and/or other chains? I know there will be a university bookstore; what about others? And how's the public library? Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 PM

38 posts, read 197,836 times
Default Dickson Street Bookshop

If you're into used books, the best bookstore by far is the Dickson Street Bookshop. It's located right on Dickson amidst all the bars and restaraunts, and it has a really laid-back feel to it. When I was in school up there, every time my parents came to visit they would not leave town before making a trip to this bookstore. It really is a Dickson St. icon.

Books are cheap and they almost always have what you're looking for.

Check out this article.

Ozarks Magazine: The Best Little Bookstore in The Ozarks

Old 03-24-2008, 03:24 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
B Dalton, Hastings and Barnes & Noble all have stores in Fayetteville. The Dickson St store is a fixture and it's bigger than it looks from the outside. Nightbird Books is another independent. Borders is up the road in Rogers. There are a couple more independent bookstores I can think of in Benton County, and pretty much every community has a Christian bookstore. Fayetteville has a very good library. And so do Bentonville, Springdale and Rogers.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times
Great question. We always visit the local library and check out the bookstores (especially used books) when we visit a city. It tells you a lot about a community. I'm glad to hear good things about Fayetteville.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,763,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Great question. We always visit the local library and check out the bookstores (especially used books) when we visit a city. It tells you a lot about a community. I'm glad to hear good things about Fayetteville.
Yeah, the Fayetteville Library is seriously top notch for a city of that size and the Dickson Street bookstore has a dazzling variety. I can't come up with enough words to describe the place without sounding hokie.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:18 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,948,634 times
Definatly the Dickson Street Bookshop. There is also hastings, B&N etc, but for a bookstore with charm, definatly Dickson Street Bookshop. The Fayetteville Library is very nice and quite fancy for a place of Fay's size, though i miss the old one. I have such good memories growing up going to the old library!

Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM

20 posts, read 73,613 times
All those mentioned above are good. I spend a majority of time in B&N both in Fayetteville and Rogers. Borders is also in Rogers.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:39 PM

62 posts, read 152,070 times
Thanks! That is all very encouraging.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 21,376 times
Default Fayetteville Bookstores

In addition to those mentioned, there is a new one on Sunbridge near College, Pages of Parenting, which has books for parents and kids. Their website is Pages Of Parenting - parenting books and resources
Also Nightbird Books down on 6th Street, which is an independent bookstore with a nice ambience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers