Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 AM

13 posts, read 33,586 times

Advertisements

I am writing here to ask for your help in a job search. This is one of the sites I checked quite often before choosing to make Fayetteville our new home.

I recently moved to Fayetteville and am having a difficult time finding work. I am 45 years old and have a teenaged son so I would prefer a Monday through Friday day job, so I could be available to him on evenings and weekends. I don't mind working some evenings and weekends but not all.

I have experience in office management, preferably for a small contractor or small office. I have over two years retail experience, having worked as a sales associate in a hardware store and loved it. I love working with people. I have excellent customer service and communication skills. I am a problem solver. I love people networking. I prefer multi-tasking rather than sitting in one place, doing the same task all day long. I have MS Office Professional experience. I have the program on my home computer. I am willing to learn whatever it takes to do a job well. I work well independently but love working with a good team behind me.

I have experience writing proposals, contracts, general correspondence for business. I have experience with QuickBooks Pro.

I am a great advocate of a person, product, service, cause, etc...if it is something I believe in. I am quite enthusiastic about my work. I prefer to be in a position where I can make a difference in someone's life, even if it is a small thing....(a smile, a nice comment, helping to solve a problem) I prefer contact with people. I prefer a casual environment over a job where you must get very dressed up every day.

I researched Fayetteville quite a bit before choosing this city to live in. It seems that job availabilty has decreased since I've arrived. I am trying very hard to find work, in Fayetteville but am not having any luck.

It seems that most help wanted ads have you e-mail or fax your resume. The job location is not always listed so I'm not always sure what town I am applying to. Most people I have sent my resume to, do not respond so I don't know if they have received it or not. I sure appreciate those of you who have acknowledged receipt of it.

I would love being here so much more if I had a steady job. It's very frustrating.

I am not looking for any get rich quick scams, simply a "real" job.

Might anyone have any ideas? I check several papers every day and also many company websites. I do not have a college degree so that seems to limit me.

At this point, I would be happy to get any day job, even if it means occasional evenings and weekends! I prefer to begin my workday anytime after 8 a.m. so that I could see my son off on the school bus. That may be a bit much to ask for but it is preferable.

If anyone has any idea of a decent job lead, I would be very grateful!

Thank you all so much,

Lisa

Moderator cut: Lisa, you might try looking in the Classifieds section of this forum - I haven't looked and don't know if there is anything there. Companies are not allowed to solicit on C-D, so if anyone knows of any specifics please feel free to DM this poster. However, job postings will not be allowed.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-26-2007 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Lisa, I am assuming you have tried the University? Have you applied with the City of Fayetteville? I would think the police department or some other public works department might have a grant-writing division, although they may make that contract labor.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 33,586 times
Hey Sam,

Thanks for responding. Yes, I have applied at the college, the city, Walton Arts Center.......my biggest problem seems to be getting an interview! I was told by an interviewer, for one office job, they had 75 applicants! She said my resume was good.....I am baffled as to what I can do. I appreciate any words of advice, though.

I'm willing to start at $8 - $10 an hour and I'm not sure if that's unreasonable.

Thanks again!

Lisa

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM

I would imagine with the influx of people into NWA you will start seeing this more and more. Not sure the job opportunities can quite keep up with the population explosion there for a while. I think I'd probably take a temp job, any job, and hope it worked into a permanent one. As the old saying goes, it's always easier to get a job when you have a job. I'd hit the employment agencies hard and see what you come up with.

Remember you are in a huge college town where labor is plentiful. I am sure many of the companies also have agreements for work study programs through the university, which further decreases your chances. Ugh. I know it's an awful time of year to look for work since a lot of budgets aren't out for the 2008 fiscal year yet.

J.B. Hunt? Airport? I guess you've tried all of that...

Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Is there really an Evening Shade Arkansas?

Old 11-26-2007, 03:44 PM

Lt. Dan -

Off topic - but yes, between Cave City and Cherokee Village...google it. Very charming small town with a neat town square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers