Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: guys wear nail polish are...
gay 26 59.09%
creative 7 15.91%
metrosexual 2 4.55%
confused 8 18.18%
sexy 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine who is an artist and not gay, paints his toenails gold. At first it was kinda weird to see but it matched his personality...very flamboyant, happy, eccentric.
I think though if my boyfriend/husband wanted to... Id find it a little odd and it would be a turn off.
Back in the day though the goth and rocker guys had their fingernails painted black or some deep color and the metrosexual guys always had theirs done with clear. I dont know, I guess whatever floats your boat!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
It all comes down to body type and persona...not all guys are 'butch'...I've seen some very petite soft, even 'cute' looking males...
I think it would look great on some males...and others it would look horrid on...

Just like not all women look good wearing a dress...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Unless I'm revisiting my goth days in high school ...I can't think of any men that paint their toe nails. Why would they want to? I mean, to each their own...but I dunno...most men like to appear masculine.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:53 AM

Insecure men like to 'appear masculine'...some guys wear 'masculinity' like a costume, to hide their 'frailness' inside...
Make-up and paint have been apart of male culture for thousands of years, it's just here recently that in western societies (not including N-American indians) that everything has been 'feminized'...

males are given less and less of fashion options, while females are allowed the whole spectrum...

Some males simply choose to explore their natural born creative flair, and not be boxed in by others conditioned sense of taboo...which is constantly changing...20 years ago males wore shorts that came above the knees...now it's only exceptable for guys to wear shorts that practically drag on the ground...now even the wearing of shorts has been 'feminized'....
Some guys simply refused to live in such a restricted paradime...
Being masculine or feminane is a state of mind, not whether or not one applies nail polish...

Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Are there guys out there who paint their toe nails?
I mean really. What do you think? Seriously, you felt that this was such an issue that you needed to start a thread on this? Really, do you really think there are guys out there who paint their toenails? On any given day, how many guys do you see who have this done? Im talking in real life, not on some website. Do you really think there are so many that warrant a thread to be created about this?

I can go on a website and see thousands of pictures of people with mullets, people with horsefaces and people with teeth sawed and shaped into fangs, but I know that there are sooooooo few people like this that there is no need to create a thread about it. Well, there are no mullets where I live, but there might be some in the stands at a NASCAR event.

How about this, why dont you take a survey of your male friends of who would paint thier toenails and post back here the results.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:34 AM

507 posts, read 2,297,348 times
The ones that do are probably wearing bikini panties and push-up underwire bras too.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I mean really. What do you think? Seriously, you felt that this was such an issue that you needed to start a thread on this? Really, do you really think there are guys out there who paint their toenails? On any given day, how many guys do you see who have this done? Im talking in real life, not on some website. Do you really think there are so many that warrant a thread to be created about this?

I can go on a website and see thousands of pictures of people with mullets, people with horsefaces and people with teeth sawed and shaped into fangs, but I know that there are sooooooo few people like this that there is no need to create a thread about it. Well, there are no mullets where I live, but there might be some in the stands at a NASCAR event.

How about this, why dont you take a survey of your male friends of who would paint thier toenails and post back here the results.
Hi, good day to you...
There's always a greater point to any thread I start than meets the eye.
People with cultivated minds and souls, kinda know the thread topic is 'do some males paint their toe nails' (well do you?)
But the deeper issues are 'progression' 'evolution' 'trends and styles' and taboo....a topic like this forces each induvisual to look within themselves and ask 'why?'
Why do I personaly have a problem with it?
How would I feel about myself if I woke up and my toenails had red on them?
Such a question forces the reader to look at themselve, why they are the way they are, and how did they get to where they are.

So again, this question isn't about me, or your neighbors or my friends...it's about 'you'....
Use this question to evaluate your own sense of self...and then ask 'why?'.....
Ok....look within, explore, and then let me know what you found...
good day...

Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by time and space View Post
use this question to evaluate your own sense of self...and then ask 'why?'.....
Ok....look within, explore, and then let me know what you found...
Good day...
lol.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
If glitter and puce colors are used together I think it's just so very wrong!

Barring that, I think we should get over our assigned gender roles (you know, that pink's for girls and blue's for boys) and be able to express ourselves creatively. Both genders have a yin and yang, a feminine and a masculine side. After all, we share most of the same chromosomes, yes??

In the words of writer Dorothy Parker, "I just don't care what people do behind closed doors as long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses."

Why are we Americans so rigid on gender roles? Is no cross-over permitted? If women show leadership or assertiveness, we call them feminists or Lesbians. If guys show their feminine side, we call them effeminate or gay. Come on--get over it. And come here and lend me your nail polish...

Maybe that's why men die sooner than women--all that keeping a stiff upper lip and all.

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-28-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
If glitter and puce colors are used together I think it's just so very wrong!

Barring that, I think we should get over our assigned gender roles (you know, that pink's for girls and blue's for boys) and be able to express ourselves creatively. Both genders have a yin and yang, a feminine and a masculine side. After all, we share most of the same chromosomes, yes??

In the words of writer Dorothy Parker, "I just don't care what people do behind closed doors as long as they don't do it in the street and scare the horses."

Why are we Americans so rigid on gender roles? Is no cross-over permitted? If women show leadership or assertiveness, we call them feminists or Lesbians. If guys show their feminine side, we call them effeminate or gay. Come on--get over it. And come here and lend me your nail polish...

Maybe that's why men die sooner than women--all that keeping a stiff upper lip and all.
Excellent post....and if you don't mind I will add a few thoughts of my own...

Women are indeed, allowed the full spectrum of 'dress' or 'style'...
I mean heck, everytime I go into Wal-Mart...I trip over more teenage and adult women in the mans section than I do guys...and I look over at their section (which is usually way larger than the males) and there's hardly anyone over there...

Women think it's 'cool' to dreas in oversized male garments, shirts pants, sweatjackets, whatever....

So indeed they are allowed the full spectrum of expression within the scope of art or style.
But your right, let me walk over to the female section and start looking at blouses...(and there are some beautiful ones over there) and skirts...(saw one the other day I sorta wanted) and purses...and I'm viewed as a 'freak'...
Why the double standard?
Women need to realize, guys don't do everything to 'impress' them...guys can be induvisuals and inspired to do things in response to their own internal flare...

And a lot of it has nothing to do with being gay or straight...just flare...
This rule that only females can and should be 'beautiful' is one I reject.
In the animal kingdom it is often the male that exuberates bright brilliant colors...as in the peacock or mallard duck...and countless others...

So I wonder how come in the modern western culter, males are suppose to be devoid of all color and expression? While the lady is allowed to 'glow' with vibrant color and flare...
Enjoy some of natures colorful males...thier all males of their species, colorful, bright, and 'straight'...no shame ya'll no shame...
Attached Thumbnails
Are there guys out there who paint their toe nails?-images-2-.jpg   Are there guys out there who paint their toe nails?-images-8-.jpg   Are there guys out there who paint their toe nails?-images-11-.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty