Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 AM

50,416 posts, read 64,172,963 times

Advertisements

The yellow diamonds are ugly, I think. In my day, you wanted diamonds to be as far from yellow as possible. Now jewelers are trying to make people think they're something special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,416,723 times
I'm on the fence, but it's hard to judge based on the photos. That's a ring that I would want to see how it looks in different lighting and on the hand. It's pretty in that it has a Byzantine style about it, but then when I look at it, it feels like it has too much going on for an everyday ring. It kind of detracts from the center stone, but I don't know if that's what you want.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:36 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,911,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I'm on the fence, but it's hard to judge based on the photos. That's a ring that I would want to see how it looks in different lighting and on the hand. It's pretty in that it has a Byzantine style about it, but then when I look at it, it feels like it has too much going on for an everyday ring. It kind of detracts from the center stone, but I don't know if that's what you want.
In my husband's defense....it is MUCH prettier and daintier in person than on the photo....it looks very different on my hand.

Your last point is my exact issue with it....the setting is very lovely however it does detract from the center stone, which is not exactly what I want.

I just dont want to have to look for new settings now for the center stone! Anyone want to help me ?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
WOW! That is a very pretty ring. Looks like someone has money to burn. It is way to gaudy, looks like something Older women wear (over the age of 50, or if your a rich celeb). Which anniversary was this?... This would be a good anniversary present if you had been married for 40-50 years. I would have told him to take it back and get me something else, but that's just me. And you say your turning your original engagement ring into a pendant?..Why? Do people still wear pendants anymore? Most people keep the original rings to give to their daughters. (Right from the start you should think of your engagement ring as an heirloom. Mothers and grandmothers dream of passing their engagement rings down to their daughters and granddaughters. From the time the ring is first placed on your finger, you should take precautions to insure that it can be used as an heirloom, no matter how many descendants may vie for its glitter in coming years.) I would NOT have it turned into a pendant unless you don't plan to have children at all. But again this is just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.
With all due respect, I am asking about the ring in question, our financial status, how many years we have been married, pendants, family heirlooms, etc, have nothing to do wtih it.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,334,504 times
What matters most is that you like it...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
What matters most is that you like it...
I agree thank you!

My issue is that I think its lovely, however I think the setting may be too strong for the diamond. I dont want the center diamond to be overpowered.

All these people responding that its too tacky...they probably would not like the way I dress or other things about me either so to each his or her own!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,645,053 times
Quote:
All these people responding that its too tacky...they probably would not like the way I dress or other things about me either so to each his or her own!
Maybe. But you did ask what everyone thought. Sorry if my comment upset you.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Maybe. But you did ask what everyone thought. Sorry if my comment upset you.
Not at all! None of the comments have upset me, which is why I said to each his (or her) own!

Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM

836 posts, read 3,387,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
With all due respect, I am asking about the ring in question, our financial status, how many years we have been married, pendants, family heirlooms, etc, have nothing to do wtih it.
DAVACHKA.. You were the one that said.. "this is an anniversary ring".. I was just simply asking which anniversary. Not intended for you to go into full detail about it... You also said.. "I wear it instead of my original engagement ring, which I am turning into a pendant".. again I wondered why you would turn it into a pendant.. when most people (which I guess your not most) keep their engagement ring as something to pass down not turn it into a pendant. .. sorry if I offended you but you did put it out there for people read. And heaven forbid I didn't ask anything about your financial status..that was just an expression didn't mean anything by it! sheesh.

And I agree with Sudcaro What matters most is that you like it...

Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
DAVACHKA.. You were the one that said.. "this is an anniversary ring".. I was just simply asking which anniversary. Not intended for you to go into full detail about it... You also said.. "I wear it instead of my original engagement ring, which I am turning into a pendant".. again I wondered why you would turn it into a pendant.. when most people (which I guess your not most) keep their engagement ring as something to pass down not turn it into a pendant. .. sorry if I offended you but you did put it out there for people read. And heaven forbid I didn't ask anything about your financial status..that was just an expression didn't mean anything by it! sheesh.

And I agree with Sudcaro What matters most is that you like it...
Actually you were the one who said that you would tell your husband to take it back, yada yada. I was not asking people what they would do if they received this ring. My intention was to see if people felt the setting was too strong and therefore distracted away from the diamond. Just opinions on that. Most people I know do not keep their rings to pass down and I was not asking opinions on that either!! I am not offended, we just obviously have different communication styles, and I was asking about one specific thing not all the others that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty