Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:07 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times

Advertisements

I just bought this expensive ring for my 3rd finger. I went to the place to have it sized and we guessed a 6.5 . however the ring now that it was made and shipped to me is too small. it looks to tight

would 7 or 7.5 be better? is there much difference between the two , will 7.5 be too much

I have another ring for my 1st finger, same problem I bought it at a 7.0 it appears that 8.5 was the proper size for that finger

any suggestions? Im In Florida, the jeweler is in California. so I cant go in

local jewelers made the mistake when I got sized for the 1st finger and I thought it was a 7. So that doesnt work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
In the warmer weather (or even if you overdo eating salt), your fingers may swell so you might be better going up a size (or half a size), hard to tell though from a distance though

Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Sounds like you should deal with a local jeweler and get sized BEFORE you buy....

I would never guess ring size.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:19 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like you should deal with a local jeweler and get sized BEFORE you buy....

I would never guess ring size.

I said that, and it didnt work

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Then keep on guessing.....

Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,365,552 times
If it's a thick band, it will alter the size versus a thin band. Most measuring rings are "thin" bands (shanks), and I'm assuming that the ring you ordered is a thick shank. I ordered a ring from another country, and my ring fingers measure at a 5 with thin shanks. The ring I ordered is thick, and as a result, a bit snug (if I've eaten a salty meal, forget about it - I skip wearing it that day, for comfort).

You can contact the jeweler and see if they'll do an exchange. If it's a standard piece, they likely will (if it's within their warranty time-limit). If it's a custom, you'll likely have to pay a fee. You could also try getting it stretched by a local jeweler so it's a bit more fitting/less uncomfortable. I've heard it's not cheap (cost will also depend on the metal, any settings, etc), but if the ring is worth it to you, I'd go for it.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
How didn't it work? They slip a "sized" ring on and you keep trying until you find the one that works best. A wide band is harder to get on and off, so I'd go up 1/2 size. Weather can affect your fingers, too...if it's hot and humid, you may swell. On cold days, my rings spin around my fingers! In the summer, they don't budge!

Old 02-07-2011, 02:29 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I just bought this expensive ring for my 3rd finger. I went to the place to have it sized and we guessed a 6.5 . however the ring now that it was made and shipped to me is too small. it looks to tight

would 7 or 7.5 be better? is there much difference between the two , will 7.5 be too much

I have another ring for my 1st finger, same problem I bought it at a 7.0 it appears that 8.5 was the proper size for that finger

local jewelers made the mistake when I got sized for the 1st finger and I thought it was a 7. So that doesnt work

Take it to a local jeweler and they will RESIZE it for you. To make it bigger they will cut it an add gold/platinum spacer. It did that with my platinum wedding band that I ordered online.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:34 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post

I don't understand. How does anyone make a mistake sizing your finger? A jeweler has tools to properly size a finger. There is no guessing involved.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Error in paperwork? Weight gain or loss? Water retention/expulsion? All of these things could result in an erroneous ring size being recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty