Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Any business offering any kind of service whatsoever views its service as "increased revenue." That's why they're in business -- to make money.

Trust me, piercing makes zero money. Between sterilizations equipment, needle cost, clamp cost, antiseptic/sterlization cost, advertisement, booth rental etc. the average piercer makes at $5 a piercing. I usually made a profit of between $3 and $7 for a $35 piercing. Less than $10 was made on a $50 piercing...

I, and many others, do it because we like it. I know it seems weird to like putting metal in another human being, but I liked the people, I liked the shop and I liked the way people lit up when they looked at their new adornments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,271,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Trust me, piercing makes zero money. Between sterilizations equipment, needle cost, clamp cost, antiseptic/sterlization cost, advertisement, booth rental etc. the average piercer makes at $5 a piercing. I usually made a profit of between $3 and $7 for a $35 piercing. Less than $10 was made on a $50 piercing...
You're contradicting yourself. "Between $3 and $7" is not "zero."

Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,647,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're contradicting yourself. "Between $3 and $7" is not "zero."

What I meant was 'not enough money to consider it a valuable source of money'.

If we're getting down to technicality, I could always break it down to the cent

Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,907,570 times
My ears were pierced around 5 months of age....my daughters when she was 3. I'm sure you will be fine

Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 AM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
i have two cartilage piercings on each ear. one done with the gun and one done with a needle a tattoo/piercing parlor. after i did 1 ear with the gun, i did my research and decided to do my next one with a needle. they both got those "bumps" you get around the new piercing. so to my amazement, the one done with the gun has healed perfectly [no bumps, no pain when touched] yet the one done with a needle still has a horrible bump on it and hasnt healed in MONTHS. so now i've taken that earring out :/.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,368 times
also, i got my daughter's ears pierced at piercing pagoda as well. she was about 3 months old and the lady was very clean and friendly. my daughters piercings healed perfectly and never got swollen or red or anything. she didnt even notice them.. [thats also where i had gotten my cartilage pierced with a gun that healed perfectly]

Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,827,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittygirll View Post
also, i got my daughter's ears pierced at piercing pagoda as well. she was about 3 months old and the lady was very clean and friendly. my daughters piercings healed perfectly and never got swollen or red or anything. she didnt even notice them.. [thats also where i had gotten my cartilage pierced with a gun that healed perfectly]
If they didn't get swollen or red, that's very strange. All piercings do, if only for a little while. Most people tend to think "oh god, if it's swollen and red it's infected" when that's not the case at all.

That gun they use to pierce ears can't be properly sterilized. There's backspray when they pierce the ear, and if you can't properly sterilize the gun... well, you're getting those bodily fluids on your ears as well.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,095,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I have a confession. I'm a middle aged woman, and have never gotten my ears pierced. Always was a little bit cowardly about it.

Lately, I've been thinking about getting it done as part of a mini-makeover. I have a new hairstyle and overall new look that wearing earrings would enhance.

But I'm still a little scared. I feel foolish to be an adult getting this done. Does it hurt much? What about infection and after care?

I'm thinking of going to one of the places in the mall, either Claires or Piercing Pagoda. Anybody have any preference and WHY? I'm leaning towards Claires because they are in a store and the piercing is not done in the middle of the mall.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

I had my ears pierced when I was 14 my friend did it for me...She made the holes crooked...Havent worn earrings since then..Im a sissy when it comes to getting my ears pierced..afraid of the pain..lol....but I don want to get 2 more tattooes tho...
But I say yeah get them pierced....if it'll make you feel good go for it

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Although I very much enjoy my pierced ears, and would not change having had them pierced, the nickel allergy I developed afterwards is a pain in the butt. I can't wear ANY costume jewelry, most watches, and even the metal rivets on my jeans will break me out. I can only wear 14kt gold, NO white old at all, and usually sterling silver will be okay (though some of it breaks me out too). I did find a site that carries titanium-only watches, and they were a godsend - can wear them all day long with no itching, Though lately, I've almost stopped wearing watches anyway. Stainless steel of course, is fine too.

Just wanted you to be aware that you may develop this allergy - many do. Here is some information on it.

http://caminomedical.org/handouts/pdf/earingallergy.pdf

Nickel Allergy

Are you a natural red head? If so, only stainless steel will be friendly with you. But then with either long or short french hooks you can add most any noble metals to these.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM

660 posts, read 1,398,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittygirll View Post
i have two cartilage piercings on each ear. one done with the gun and one done with a needle a tattoo/piercing parlor. after i did 1 ear with the gun, i did my research and decided to do my next one with a needle. they both got those "bumps" you get around the new piercing. so to my amazement, the one done with the gun has healed perfectly [no bumps, no pain when touched] yet the one done with a needle still has a horrible bump on it and hasnt healed in MONTHS. so now i've taken that earring out :/.
That's kind of surprising, but I believe you. As you may or may not know, using the "gun" on cartilage is asking for trouble because the "snap" action could cause shattering. In other words, you could permanently damage your cartilage with a gun, versus a needle which is much gentler.

Perhaps the place that pierced you with a needle did it on a bad angle (it should be straight but things happen) as I have heard that can be a cause for healing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
That gun they use to pierce ears can't be properly sterilized. There's backspray when they pierce the ear, and if you can't properly sterilize the gun... well, you're getting those bodily fluids on your ears as well.
And another good reason for not using the gun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty