Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight61108 View Post
When i got my eras [pierced at the mall including my cartilege piercing it was all very clean and sterilized. In fact the woman showed me everything before she was doing it and i watched her take things out of an individual pacakge. She did it the same way everything was done when i got my tattoos and nose pierced at a tattoo studio. Maybe some mall places have novices in them but this woman knew what she was doing and had been doing it for over 10 years. When i used to work int he all she also used to tell me about the training she had been too. Im pretty sure if mall places were all that bad there would be a lot of little girls missing ears

Did she use a needle (and clamps), or did she use one of those guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,940 times
I think getting your ears peirced would be a great idea! once you get it done you will wish you would have done it along time ago. Personally tho, i think you should get your peircings done and peircing pagoda. They seemed alot more experienced to me, and have better after care products!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:40 PM

6 posts, read 26,537 times
Default JetJockey-know what you are talking about please.

This is mostly for JetJockey, and any others who aren't sure what they are talking about when it comes to Piercing Pagoda. JetJockey, when was the last time you were employed at Piercing Pagoda? How would you know the specifics on the training they recieve? You really think they are a horrible place to get your ears pierced, yet they have been doing it for over 30 years? And your claims about causing saggy ears is just ridiculous. Learn the facts before you try to put down something. You make yourself sound very ignorant.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 26,537 times
This is mostly for JetJockey, and any others who aren't sure what they are talking about when it comes to Piercing Pagoda. JetJockey, when was the last time you were employed at Piercing Pagoda? How would you know the specifics on the training they recieve? You really think they are a horrible place to get your ears pierced, yet they have been doing it for over 30 years? And your claims about causing saggy ears is just ridiculous. Learn the facts before you try to put down something. You make yourself sound very ignorant

Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
it is easy breezy as your name suggests. I did not get mine done till I was almost 30. it didn't really hurt much at all. on a scale from 1 to 10 I would give it maybe a 2 at best. I went to a claire's in the mall, they used a gun. I did what they said about keeping them clean and turning them. I never had a bit of trouble. I have loved being able to wear earings. go for it.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:25 AM

133 posts, read 486,456 times
Personally, I'd NEVER trust a mall shop nowdays. They'll tell you anything to make a sale. However, I did it back in my early 20s before I had any healthcare knowledge. I'd always go to a body piercing shop if I had it to do over now. Obviously, most piercing studios can't/won't do ear piercing on children or anyone under 16 or 18 (depending on your state), so I'd take a small girl child to a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon to have theirs done. That's just me. I work in the medical field now (20 yrs) and know better.

Yes, aftercare is important, but not as important as strict cleanliness and hygiene with the shop and the equipment before and actually during the piercing by people who are professionally trained in piercing. Just because some lady in a shop's been "doing it for 10 years" doesn't mean squat. Their cleaning solutions are nothing but sterile water with preservative chemical; much like contact lens solution.

Some of you've gotten it done at Claire's and that's fine. It's done and hopefully without problems. But knowing what I know now, I'd NEVER recommend it and I always strongly discourage people from going there.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:36 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRivera941 View Post
This is mostly for JetJockey, and any others who aren't sure what they are talking about when it comes to Piercing Pagoda. JetJockey, when was the last time you were employed at Piercing Pagoda? How would you know the specifics on the training they recieve? You really think they are a horrible place to get your ears pierced, yet they have been doing it for over 30 years? And your claims about causing saggy ears is just ridiculous. Learn the facts before you try to put down something. You make yourself sound very ignorant.

No offense, but I worked as a PROFESSIONAL piercer in a tattoo shop for 4 years after taking anatomy classes at Cal Poly in SLO. I think I know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Claims about saggy ears?? No claims, it does happen and is called the cheese cutter effect. At a smaller gauge it can slice through skin faster over many years just as a wire cuts through cheese easier than a dull knife. I can look at my grandmothers, aunts and mothers ears and see it in full effect. It doesn't happen to everyone, but saying it doesn't happen at all is a blatant lie.

And no, nothing anyone can say will ever make me trust someone who works at a place called 'Piercing Pagoda' in a mall regardless of how many years experience they have. I would absolutely never work at a place that treats piercings as nothing more than increased revenue. Did they take a certified blood pathogens class? Both myself and the piercer I was working with were registered and licensed EMTs with CPR certifications and I had my phlebotomy certificate. Do they autoclave any instruments they use if they aren't disposable? I was in a claires when someone was getting their ears pierced and all the gal did was take an alcohol swab out and wipe down the 'gun', then put earrings in the 'gun' that doubled as a piercing device! Sorry, but that's not the proper way to do things.

Sorry this was so longwinded

Old 05-03-2009, 08:35 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
No offense, but I worked as a PROFESSIONAL piercer in a tattoo shop for 4 years after taking anatomy classes at Cal Poly in SLO. I think I know a bit of what I'm talking about.

Claims about saggy ears?? No claims, it does happen and is called the cheese cutter effect. At a smaller gauge it can slice through skin faster over many years just as a wire cuts through cheese easier than a dull knife. I can look at my grandmothers, aunts and mothers ears and see it in full effect. It doesn't happen to everyone, but saying it doesn't happen at all is a blatant lie.

And no, nothing anyone can say will ever make me trust someone who works at a place called 'Piercing Pagoda' in a mall regardless of how many years experience they have. I would absolutely never work at a place that treats piercings as nothing more than increased revenue. Did they take a certified blood pathogens class? Both myself and the piercer I was working with were registered and licensed EMTs with CPR certifications and I had my phlebotomy certificate. Do they autoclave any instruments they use if they aren't disposable? I was in a claires when someone was getting their ears pierced and all the gal did was take an alcohol swab out and wipe down the 'gun', then put earrings in the 'gun' that doubled as a piercing device! Sorry, but that's not the proper way to do things.

Sorry this was so longwinded
Nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about offer some serious in site. I wouldn't go to a "Piercing Pagoda" either

Old 05-04-2009, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,501 times
thank you, jet jockey. i was waiting for someone with any professional certifications to speak up.

piercing pagoda. gawd. i remember when claire's didnt even wear gloves EWWW. i'd never use those useless and overpriced cleaning solutions. i always used sea salt solution on my piercings.

i sent the OP a personal response becuse i didnt want the mall hacks jumping on me, and that post said much of the same you mentioned; regarding HYGIENE and SAFETY. i sure hope the OP goes somewhere safe and clean, with people who know what they're doing.

long winded post yours may have been, but it was completely the truth.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I would absolutely never work at a place that treats piercings as nothing more than increased revenue.
Any business offering any kind of service whatsoever views its service as "increased revenue." That's why they're in business -- to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty