Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:21 AM

544 posts, read 1,485,128 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, do eminent women have their ears pierced. As hypotheticals, I can't remember whether Hillary Clinton (for example) wears pierced earrings or not. Or if you had a meeting (this is far-fetched, I realize) with (say) Kissinger, would you wear dangling earrings? Or any earrings?

Supposing you had a meeting with a Chinese official, in order to get permission to do business in his province. Would you wear earrings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I imagine it would depend upon the norms for a particular culture.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:20 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post

Supposing you had a meeting with a Chinese official, in order to get permission to do business in his province. Would you wear earrings?
No. You do not wear a bunch of loud jewelry, make-up or bright colors traditionally for that setting. If you have pierced ears go with simple understated stud earrings.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,029,544 times
Not being "eminent" myself (), I can't say what they wear, but I would imagine an understated pair of pearl or diamond stud earrings would be acceptable - as opposed to giant hoop earrings.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:23 PM

>> If you have pierced ears go with simple understated stud earrings.

I *do* have pierced ears, and being neither wealthy nor eminent, myself, I was just curious if wealthy women have their ears pierced, or if they have negative attitudes about that. I can only ask, because I don't even know anyone like that. I'm watching CNN, hoping to notice what professional women wear. Hadn't thought about it before.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:37 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
I've rarely seen a very nice pair of clip on earrings. clip ons seem almost childish to me. I think in this day and age, people are used to and expect to see earrings on women

I got my ears pierced as a baby-too early for my parents to realize that I was destined for stardom and riches (). it would be interesting to see if people in established families pierce their daughters' ears at a young age.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:49 AM

>> it would be interesting to see if people in established families pierce their daughters' ears at a young age.

I think so, too, and I have no idea what the answer is. Is it considered low-class, primitive? Or am I thinking something which is not relevant? I wonder. Too late for me; I have piercing in both ear lobes, and, unfortunately, I had the right side redone, and despite asking very specifically not to have a NEW hold punched, the girl did it anyway, so I have TWO holes in that earlobe, which is weird and annoying.

Last edited by scsigurl3000; 09-26-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
If eminent women do not have pierced ears, it is most likely a result of generational norms than social or cultural. They are typically the "older generation" which is more apt to not have pierced ears.

When you think of it, piercing ears is a rather barbaric concept. However, in this day and age when *anything* can be (and frequently is) pierced, it is pretty mild by comparison.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2010, 11:07 AM

...I would add that this is a real problem for me; my eyesight is poor, my hands shake from the MS, and I sometimes put an earring in the old, less developed hole, which then bleeds and makes a mess, and even comes near getting infected, I think. So I have to stop wearing earrings until it clears up. And of course if I don't notice it, it looks awful; red and swollen, which of course is very unattractive.

I have a lot of pretty earrings and I like wearing them because I think my little students like them (the girls) and I also think it make me look prettier and more feminine, but I'm going to watch for the earring issue on CNN and elsewhere now. I'm not sure they're appropriate all the time.

Small, expensive stud earrings may very well be fine, but I'm not sure about that, either, right now. I've always been very, very tall (6'3") and people have made fun of that (and there's nothing I can do about that, of course), so I'm sensitive to these things to some degree. On top of being way too tall, I have a big voice, I'm too bookish and opinionated, too formal often, I suspect, while all the time I really want to avoid anything which will bring opprobrium down on my head, though that seems to be nearly impossible.

Even online, when people can't see me, the tone of my writing annoys people. I CAN'T WIN!!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:18 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Get small thin hoops that lock into each other and have someone put them on for you. You never have to take them out, they don't pull on your skin, you can't see the closure.

Like:
Amazon.com: 14k White Gold Sm. Endless Hoop Earrings SE337: Jewelry

But if you get it to bleed like that you can probably close it by putting neosporin and mederma scar ease on it and using clip ons only. Only certain things look good as clip ons because you have to watch they don't pull on the lobe. You can buy converters for the earrings you already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty