Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:07 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I'm surprised that more of the folks sporting tattoos on this forum haven't mentioned the often deeper symbolism that literally marks the event/purpose for getting one. I know some people get them because they think they look cool (and there's nothing wrong with that IMO), but I think a greater majority, myself included, choose to get one (or however many) as a result of something much deeper. For example, I chose to get my tattoo as a reminder of a particularly painful event that I survived and overcame. So, mine is a symbol and a reminder of my own power; it was a method of reclaiming my power over my own body after someone had forcibly taken it. Perhaps this is another reason why this debate is controversial--it represents something much more to the tattooed (is that a word?), something quite private and powerful that isn't always communicated or understood by onlookers and the untattooed.
I quite agree that there are some people who get them to look cool and then there are some to whom the tattoo has much more meaning. Mine I designed myself and it means a lot to me on a more emotional level.
I know your tat is a reminder of a painful episode in your life, but I hope everytime that you look at it you feel more empowered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
I'm surprised that more of the folks sporting tattoos on this forum haven't mentioned the often deeper symbolism that literally marks the event/purpose for getting one. I know some people get them because they think they look cool (and there's nothing wrong with that IMO), but I think a greater majority, myself included, choose to get one (or however many) as a result of something much deeper. For example, I chose to get my tattoo as a reminder of a particularly painful event that I survived and overcame. So, mine is a symbol and a reminder of my own power; it was a method of reclaiming my power over my own body after someone had forcibly taken it. Perhaps this is another reason why this debate is controversial--it represents something much more to the tattooed (is that a word?), something quite private and powerful that isn't always communicated or understood by onlookers and the untattooed.
I wasn't even going to bother with that, but since you started it...

Not one of mine came off a wall.

I spent years pondering, drawing the illustrations, and two others which a friend of mine worked up in Ireland before she came over to do it...
My name in Ogham (which I had laid down when I left behind a troubling lifestyle), my daughter's original Chinese name in Pinyin (to honor her past), my beloved spiders (favored since childhood)...

The piercings...there was a time, long ago, when I was one of those insecure teenage girls that could not walk out to the mailbox without her makeup on...yeah - THAT insecure. Somewhere down the line I met a few guys that looked passed the 'pretty' and convinced me that I didn't need all that to hide behind...that I shouldn't be hiding at all.
I weaned off the cosmetics, but soon felt kinda...hmmn, we used to call it "granola". Drab. Invisible. Too normal, I dare say. I was by then in my twenties and wanted something to adorn myself with...low-maintanence (after the initial healing), out of the ordinary (well, then, anyway) and since I already had multiple piercings in both ears, thought I might simplify.
I took those out and instead stretched a proper hole...got the nostril piercing a looong time ago (while I was working as a Pharmacy Technician {read: real job} for institutional care) but took that out for a better paying retail management position...pierced the septum, which is as often retained (POOF) as ringed (or tusked)...put another hole in my nostril now that I'm home with Mo and not working...will be working as an artisan/craftsman later, as I was for 4 years prior to the adoption, so have less concern about PR...

I don't have a problem with people looking at me...I don't have a problem with someone not liking what I have on my body. I don't complain about that like some folks do. I fully understand that by appearing slightly different I invite opinion from those who seem to need giving it and not all of it positive. Hence my on/off switch. But with most people I meet, we put that aside and focus elsewhere. As someone else mentioned; more important stuff.

I do have a problem with someone who assumes I'm a "moron" because I made this choice. I'm sure there are more accurate words that could be used to describe me - but ME, not what I look like.

I'm fairly certain that if I were to know more about them, I could easily surmise the same opinion about something they've said or done.
Oh, never mind...I already did that.

Granted, I will admit I have thought similar thoughts when I see the boys waisted at the knees and tripping over themselves as they try to walk...another graceless fashion trend.
But I figure, like much of what we have done, in twenty years they'll have that to look back on. So instead of calling them stupid names, I laugh and watch the learning process unfold.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:46 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
"... and the sign says long-haired, freaky people need not apply." ~Five Man Electrical Band

I know it may seem a bit non sequitur, but that's the first thing that came to mind when I read this.
That's what came to mind when I read posts like that but as dullandboring said, I think it's a generation thing. (sometimes)

Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
The gold loops you see in the ears of guys originated with sailors in the 16-1700's, when the survivor of a shipwreck was allowed to wear a gold loop in his ear as a badge.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 PM

364 posts, read 527,258 times
I got a small star (the size of 2 quarters) in the lower middle of my back a few years ago. Simple- black outline and filled in pink. Very common place for women. Star was my first word. My poor mother; mom came second. I always loved stars for some unknown reason. After Jan 8th, 07 my furkid Comet of 14 years passed away. She was the best dog in the world! I rescued her from a shelter when she was 7 weeks old. She was tied to a phone pole on a very busy street. From the day we brought her home she never begged, never barked that much... just a perfect best friend. She was with me through so much. Her beautiful face always looking at me as to say "I'm here. It will be okay". I will always be heartbroken and am still in shock as it was a very quick passing. I had my star turned into a shooting star, like a Comet, in her memory. The name Comet is above the star now in very small print. I am so glad I did that. I will never get another tattoo. Always wanted just the one. But now it has an extra special meaning.

As for those who say anyone with a tattoo is ignorant, tacky, uneducated, whatever, that stereotype. That is ridiculas and they are just looking for a reason to feel superior. Now a days all kinds of people have them including the educated, wealthy, classy, ect.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:49 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
That's what came to mind when I read posts like that but as dullandboring said, I think it's a generation thing. (sometimes)
Yes, we think it is a "generation" thing also. But, even though the wife and I don't like the look, calling someone a "moron" is most definitely WRONG!!! There was no reason in the world to use that word in this Thread.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Yes, we think it is a "generation" thing also. But, even though the wife and I don't like the look, calling someone a "moron" is most definitely WRONG!!! There was no reason in the world to use that word in this Thread.
I know from reading your posts that your not like that. Usually I don't get involved on here with anything (that becomes) controversial but calling names and making assumptions really bothers me.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Tattoos... oh how uncool you now seem now that everyone and their grandmother has one. I am more in to fashion statements of a less permanent type. I live in a city where tattoos are everywhere and on just about everyone. I have no idea why anyone feels that they needs to write or draw something on their body that does not wash off. To each his own. If I was forecasting future job demands in my city I am feeling getting in to the tattoo remove business will be very profitable in the near future. The symbol of the tattoo as far as I am concerned has changed from a symbol of rebellion to symbol of the follower. I totally see gang members and grannys comparing tattoo designs in my city in the years to come... which might not be such a bad thing.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:43 PM

53 posts, read 66,143 times
Tattoos can be an artistic expression if done a certain way.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 PM

234 posts, read 162,097 times
I consider tattoos to be art on the body. they paint a story of my life and of my perception/outlook on life if you will. some have deeper meaning to me (like the one I did as a reminder to not shoot up when I was getting clean off heroin) and others don't have any real meaning behind them but just a memory (like the one I let a complete stranger do on my arm whom I met in a park while backpacking thru central America).

but every one I have on my body personally has been a stick-n-poke and everyone of those, I have done myself with the exception of that one I mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty