Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:40 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times

Advertisements

I didn't used to care much for tattoos myself. Then I met hubby who had one. Now he has 3 and would like more. I know it's disappointing, but he's the exception for being a moron and starting out "Well, I was really drunk".

;-)

My sisters and my neice all have multiple tattoos. I'm not sure I'm impressed by that. Every so often, I think about getting one, but there are several reasons I haven't yet. 1) I hate needles 2) I can't think of something I'd like to see on the same place on my body for the rest of my life 3) I have other things I'd like to spend my money on 4) where would I put it and 5) when I'm 97 and toddlin' down the hall at the old geezer's home, will it still be cute??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:46 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
I often try a personal social experiment.

Piercings and tattoos hidden...POOF...then not.

Same person, same place, another time. Often a very different reception.

I am glad for the gracious if cosmetically conservative people in my life that have learned to look beyond the surface.

LOL, it's funny that just today someone that I recently went to school with said that how I look doesn't fit my taste in music. Can't judge a book by it's cover. As in the last thread about tattoos.....I just can't believe how judgemental people are and it's really sad because isn't it more important if someone is a good person?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:00 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,453 times
Putting aside ethnic,racial, or basic God given beauty/or lack etc...people are judged by their looks all the time. And why not?. If you buzz cut most of your hair off and dye the remaining hair pink you have given up all expectations not to be "looked" at. If you walk into a job interview for a customer relations job and you have multipule ear pieceings and a nose ring do you reallly think it's someone elses fault that you were passed over ??

Tattos are not birth marks and as such, yes you can expect to be looked upon with a bit of a different perspective. That's the choice YOU made when YOU voluntered to get "inked". You chose to make some statement. Now that you've made it if some others react to it in what you percieve to be a negative manner that's YOUR fault and not the limitations of someone else.
The fact that people might react to previosly hidden tatoos does not expose a flaw in their character, it's a reaction to the sudden exposure of a flaw in YOUR character.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:06 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times
Now, dyeing my hair a weird color...THAT I'd do in a heartbeat! In fact, 2 weeks ago, I was having my hair cut and if I hadn't been on my lunch hour, I would have done it. If I were about 25 years younger, my hair would have blue or green in it. :-D

Old 03-09-2007, 02:18 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,705,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
..people are judged by their looks all the time. And why not?

Actually it shows how unsubstantially developed a person shows himself to be for allowing a physical attribute to control his mental range.

Anything that in any way alters the natural appearance - cutting your hair, shaving your face, plucking your eyebrows, wearing make-up or perfume...is artificial and to someone somewhere in the world abhorrent.

One form of jewelry is alright but not the other?

Painting yourself is acceptable as long as it washes off in the shower?

I adjust myself to my surroundings, being wise enough to understand how the world works and what would be perceived as professional - I myself hold that standard.
Freak ON/freak OFF.
The successful business place caters to a wide customer base and it is unrealistic to expect gainful employment in any field other than fringe while waving the flag.

Being 40, not 14, I know this.

But back to casual, every day on the street...to those who would simply dismiss another person for hair color or choice of ornamentation? It is that person who seems very small minded.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:41 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,994 times
Quote:
Putting aside ethnic,racial, or basic God given beauty/or lack etc...people are judged by their looks all the time. And why not?. If you buzz cut most of your hair off and dye the remaining hair pink you have given up all expectations not to be "looked" at. If you walk into a job interview for a customer relations job and you have multipule ear pieceings and a nose ring do you reallly think it's someone elses fault that you were passed over ??

Tattos are not birth marks and as such, yes you can expect to be looked upon with a bit of a different perspective. That's the choice YOU made when YOU voluntered to get "inked". You chose to make some statement. Now that you've made it if some others react to it in what you percieve to be a negative manner that's YOUR fault and not the limitations of someone else.
The fact that people might react to previosly hidden tatoos does not expose a flaw in their character, it's a reaction to the sudden exposure of a flaw in YOUR character.
I know people judge on looks all the time, that's my point....they shouldn't. I don't know about you but I have bigger fish to fry then care about someones hair color or tattoo......Again, why is that more important then if someone is a good person?

BTW I don't receive negative reactions, I get compliments.

Also, as mentioned in the last tattoo thread....I don't know why it's such a big deal on here when the subject of tattoos comes up. It's never once been in issue in my life or with any people I've met, worked for, dated, been around etc...

I would rather be friends with people that are tattoed, nice, friendly and good a person then people that are judgmental, stuffy and walk around with their nose in the air.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
The permanence of tattoos does bug me personally, I always crack up thinking about what a scene it will be for tattooed folks in the nursing home, lifting their shirts and blouses, showing each other their sagging body ink.
But I've got better things to do than worry about somebody else's tattoo.
As for colored hair, I kinda like it. My younger kid asked if he could have blue hair and I let him, he had it and then it grew out and he got that out of his system.
Yeah, stuff that used to be totally outrageous is now mainstream.
Piercings, tattoos, colored hair, all found in your local mall.
As for body modification, I think some of that stuff is kinda "out there."

Old 03-09-2007, 03:31 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,230,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I really didn't want to get involved in another tattoo debate but.......Evey you and I agree on a lot and have been on here quite awhile but trust me I have class and a very large tattoo. People that lack class..... IMO; litter, yell across a room for someone in public, burp and don't say excuse me, make racist comments, pick their nose, check out other people with their spouse present, don't practice good hygiene, go to work drunk....I can go on but I've described people I've met and none of them have tattoos. I know that's your opinion but it bothers me when people are judged by their looks instead of their character.
As someone who gets both dirty and smelly at work, I am all too aware of how people react to appearance.

It is not the person that I think lacks class, just that particular manner of self expression.

Just as I would never judge a person based on their clothing, shoes, wristwatch, etc. I would never make any assumptions about a stranger simply because of body art.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,207,686 times
Quote:

I've never met a person with tatoos who given a little bit of time hasn't proven themselves to be a moron.
OMG, I just had those exact words tatooed across the small of my back last month!!

Old 03-09-2007, 09:04 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,392,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Also, as mentioned in the last tattoo thread....I don't know why it's such a big deal on here when the subject of tattoos comes up. It's never once been in issue in my life or with any people I've met, worked for, dated, been around etc...
It's bizarre to me as well. It's not something that I ever thought was remotely controversial and I was really surprised how many people in the other thread from awhile back had issues with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty