Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,461,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Pig fat is what tallow is made of. Tallow is an ing in most soaps.

Anti-animal product use shouldn't be preached sans practice.
But there is always one that does it anyway.
I don't see anyone preaching to you, Pitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,744,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
Maybe I'm 'old-school', but today I'm wearing my Camp 7 down parka (Circa 1975). I recently lost my 'White Stag' down coat on a Greyhound bus I had got that one in 1968 (jr high school)

Fit is important, so I have to stay the same size I was in High School.

Tight (adjustable) sleeve cuffs, a tie for the waist, and a snug collar help keep in my 'skinny' (and minimal) heat.

I will confess, I love my thinsulate gloves (circa 1990).
Camp 7??? That is a great brand, I have one of their sleeping bags from the 70s that was my mom's and I still use it, in perfect shape! I think they are out of business now, but boy did they make a good product! (oops, this is off-topic I guess, sorry! )

That's one thing about down vs. synthetic fill also, synthetic looses it's insulation over time while down can last forever if properly cared for!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Y'all are probably going to laugh at this one, but the best jacket I have found for the cold is a jacket I stole from my sea-faring parents. Both were in the Navy and had special sub-zero jackets issued to them for use in the Artic Circle. If I wear this jacket above freezing temps, it is scorching hot. I haven't had the chance to wear my jacket in a few years, as it just doesn't get cold enough!

They're not all that trendy.. but they will keep you warm!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Y'all are probably going to laugh at this one, but the best jacket I have found for the cold is a jacket I stole from my sea-faring parents. Both were in the Navy and had special sub-zero jackets issued to them for use in the Artic Circle. If I wear this jacket above freezing temps, it is scorching hot. I haven't had the chance to wear my jacket in a few years, as it just doesn't get cold enough!

They're not all that trendy.. but they will keep you warm!
What does it look like?

What is it made of?

You must have adventuresome parents!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,180,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
What does it look like?

What is it made of?

You must have adventuresome parents!
One is my mother's Navy Peacoat that is pure wool. I use this one for the most part because it doesn't need to be sub-zero. I'm sure there are Civi-versions of it.

From my father, it is a parka style olive-green colored thing. I believe it is known as the N3B for Extreme Cold Weather. Again, it's not *that* fashionable, but it is for functional usage. As far as what it is made of, absolutely no clue.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:42 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
I bought a down jacket that goes to my ankles and buttons up to my ears. It's Calvin Klein, but has no shape and is super bulky and makes me look 500 lbs, but it is WARM. I need it in Manhattan in the winter, with the wind and low temps it's brutal.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I bought a down jacket that goes to my ankles and buttons up to my ears. It's Calvin Klein, but has no shape and is super bulky and makes me look 500 lbs, but it is WARM. I need it in Manhattan in the winter, with the wind and low temps it's brutal.
Yup. I saw that one at Marshalls.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:15 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,678,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Yup. I saw that one at Marshalls.
Hah! That's where I got it. $75. Fugly but I can wear a cute dress out and be warm when I'm outside!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
This is the warmest jacket material. The material is called aerogel. Some call it solid smoke. It's so warm that mountain climbers now use it to remain warm and toasty when climbing the highest peaks.
Absolute Zero Aerogel Jacket at i-WEAR Fashion Show

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
This is the warmest jacket material. The material is called aerogel. Some call it solid smoke. It's so warm that mountain climbers now use it to remain warm and toasty when climbing the highest peaks.
Absolute Zero Aerogel Jacket at i-WEAR Fashion Show
Wow. I want me one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty