Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:02 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times

Advertisements

Right now there are 11 in my coat closet. Some are leather, some are rain-proof, one is a ski parka....different purposes, mostly. My problem is I always want a specific coat for a specific type of weather or occasion. And I don't really shop that much for them, they just find ME!

My favorite leather jacket came from Nordstroms, another leather coat from a shop in NYC, my black dress coat from Dillards...my jacket for my Europe trip came from Cabellas...no one place really. They just call my name as I walk by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,930 times
landsend. i have plenty of coats and jackets and i find landsend is best/warmest for me (and i love fashion). i have marc NYC or something like that (now i don't like it because hubby called me my plastic purple balloon hahaha), a few wool coats from ann taylor and jcrew, laundry design from macys, but i find my landsend is the warmest. not the parka style, i am very small and the parka makes me look like a giant with an onion for a head hahaha.i also do layers, sleeveless undershirt, turtleneck and a sweater.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:13 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,899,860 times
Have you tried this place? I see someone mentioned it above.

Welcome to Columbia Sportswear

Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,395,292 times
How about a North Face jacket? My newest one is good to -20.
I love coats, too.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
Fur is really the best. But I am sure some twit in leather shoes that lathered up with pig fat this morning would have something to say about it.

If you can get a jacket lined with real fox fur you will never be cold.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Fur is really the best. But I am sure some twit in leather shoes that lathered up with pig fat this morning would have something to say about it.
Ha! So true.

My sis got a full length black mink for Christmas...it feels MAHvelous!!

Old 01-04-2009, 04:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Quote:

If you can get a jacket lined with real fox fur you will never be cold.
I would rather walk around naked than wear fur.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
Quote:
Lathered up with pig fat? What on earth are you talking about? I'm sure it's some kind of slam, but it doesn't make any sense...what up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I would rather walk around naked than wear fur.
I agree, Woof. You might try checking Patagonia. They are going to have another sale in February. Or Marmot, although I think they're overpriced. They do have sales, though.

Just how technical do you want to get? Maybe not at all, I don't know~ Arc'Teryx makes very technical products (as in prolonged artic temps), but they are very spendy. They guarantee their products for life as does Marmot & maybe Patagonia.

Have you tried checking out backcountry DOT com? They carry those brands as well as others, and have a sale now on winter jackets. Backcountry is very easy to deal with, and very helpful.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:20 PM

557 posts, read 2,612,078 times
Yup, my full length down coat with attached hood from LL Bean is not slenderizing but I'm warm! When living in northern Germany eons ago, I kept warm with a full length, heavy, *very densely* woven wool black coat with a hood--it looked great! Knee high boots helped, too. Before that, in Minnesota, I had a full length shearling lamb coat with thigh high boots. Very warm. The longer the coat, the warm you'll be and hood are warmer, too. Don't forget that nice, lightweight silk underwear!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,466,427 times
I don't think you really need the "warmest" coat. Those are designed specifically for the arctic region. NE is not there yet.
However, these Canadians are among the best:
1) Canada Goose
2) Kanuk
3) Moncler (if you like the look, which I personally don't)
I also like Patagonia and Rainforest.
For outdoor activities check Filson and Barbour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty